Near Unquestionable Need to Make a SB Run in 2017 (1 Viewer)

The FO was trying to recreate the magic that was Darren Sharper by bringing in Byrd. At the time Byrd was recognized by most as the second best FS in the league behind Earl Thomas. We weren't just bringing in a good player, we were bringing in a great player. Jenkins on the other hand was up and down his entire career. He was solid but he was nowhere near the player Byrd was so it seemed like an obvious upgrade. It just didn't work out the way it was supposed to.

So the FO knows how important it is to have an impact player who can disrupt the game and create turnovers. They have been trying to add play makers but those guys are hard to find. I think they'll add one at #11 though. Some defensive studs are going to be on the board at #11.

If the top pass rushers are gone then it's possible the top two Safeties could be on the board. Some people will prefer Jamal Adams and I think he is a great prospect but I prefer Malik Hooker. Adams is the better all around player at this point and he offers a lot of versatility. I can see him playing both Safety spots and being a force in the run game. But if you're looking for a ball hawking Safety who can flat out cover, then Hooker is your guy. A three Safety set with Hooker/Bell/Vaccaro would be a handful.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them draft a safety at 11. I'm hoping we get a pass rusher in free agency so that we can pick BPA at 11 and not be forced into a trade up scenario to make sure we get a pass rusher.

It would be awesome to get one in free agency then have one fall into our laps in free agency so that we could rotate Kikaha, FA and Drafted player and keep the pass rush fresh.

I'm rambling.

I think Allen is a smart guy. He's bright enough to emulate the best DC's and their schemes. I'll bet he is a student of Wade Phillips and all the best defensive coaches. I believe he's bright enough to recognize the limits of his scheme and players. These things take time, because the defense has to align with the offense, the players, the injury barbarian, and possibly the star alignment.

A passing offense is not ideal for the defense, which I guess would prefer a strong running attack

Without saying, this is an opinion.

In watching the elite teams down the stretch and the 1st week of playoffs, what jumped at me was that each of the top teams had something in common, whether the team was primarily offense or defense oriented.

On defense, every team has at least one "Disruptor." By disruptor, I mean a player who makes game changing plays often.

In 2009, our LBs were not the best. Shanle got roasted regularly on SR. The D-line was in no way great. The DBs were pretty good. But we had a major Disruptor, Darren Sharper. We are all disappointed in his off-field behavior; but on the field, he made us a SB team. His 2009 season was insanely great. 9 Interceptions, 3 Pick-Sixes, 1 Fumble Recovery for a TD and when he blitzed on QBs, even though he didn't have any sacks, he created fear with his fierce hits.

Besides the 24 points he scored on his own (when was the last Saints defensive TD?), he gave the ball back to the offense 6 more times.

I believe this is the real key to a SB run. I think this is how SP needs his defense, one that creates turnovers and gets the ball back into Brees hands.

Of the FAs out there and the draft class, who has the potential to be a Disruptor of games- this year? I think that's who we need to go after.
Agreed. I don't know who the Draftee will be, but I think it needs to be a edge rusher and a CB or LB or both. We may have a disruptor on the team already in Kikaha, since we've never really seen what ha can do when used for a full season at his best position and getting after the QB. It will be a shame if he isn't given the opportunity. We also need to get another home run hitter on offense, which we haven't had since Sproles. That will make the defense have to account for the entire field.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Agreed. I don't know who the Draftee will be, but I think it needs to be a edge rusher and a CB or LB or both. We may have a disruptor on the team already in Kikaha, since we've never really seen what ha can do when used for a full season at his best position and getting after the QB. It will be a shame if he isn't given the opportunity. We also need to get another home run hitter on offense, which we haven't had since Sproles. That will make the defense have to account for the entire field.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Agree with your positions. I just hope we pickup a few freak athletes that are also smart football players on defense. They would make everyone around them better.

I don't think we can bury our heads in the sand over our defense the past 3 years. They have been horrifically terrible. The lack of overall talent on defense has been very weak and we have no real disruptors. I am excited about the progress of the defense this year and very hopeful for next. We need a couple defenders that OCs have to scheme against every game and they still make big plays.

whats a Super Bowl run?

Super Bowls are hard to win. I'll be satisfied with a competitive season with a winning record, a playoff berth and good showing in the post season.

But most of all visible improvement on defense and special teams, more complementary and balanced football and some successful personnel moves.

And pretty quickly a post Brees option needs to appear in house.

I disagree with like 70% of your posts, but I'm not sure why this one in particular is getting the red thumbs, this is a perfectly reasonable post and you're right on. Super Bowl run? Those are at least 50% luck and circumstance.... let's just see an above .500 team that makes the needed improvements and gets into the playoffs. And yes a post-Brees plan needs to be part of the process.

Not to mention Drew's window. I know he wants to play in his 40's but you know what they say...the mind is willing...

I think we see Tom Brady hit that wall next year sometime and I don't expect Drew to be far behind. I give Drew another 2 years at most before we start seeing those out passes get returned for 6. So yes...I think next year there needs to be high expectations.

I disagree with like 70% of your posts, but I'm not sure why this one in particular is getting the red thumbs, this is a perfectly reasonable post and you're right on.

Haha! Anyone who posts anything that hints Brees may possibly not be playing QB for the Saints until he's 50 gets a ton of Red thumbs.

Haha! Anyone who posts anything that hints Brees may possibly not be playing QB for the Saints until he's 50 gets a ton of Red thumbs.

Yeah, this is one area where I'll definitely fully agree with you Swimmer.

They'll tell you it doesn't matter because NFL teams don't groom QBs anymore and so we can must draft a guy in the first round after Brees retires and plug and play him. But even if grooming isn’t necessary anymore, nothing guarantees that the QB class the draft after Brees retires won't be like 2013-one QB taken in the first round who proved to be a total bust. I don't believe any QB taken that year is currently starting in the NFL.

near unquestionable need to make a SB run in 2017[/QUOTE said:
The new defensive staff being able to coach
and develop talent across the board.

We need a pass rusher opposite to Cam Jordan. That has been said every year for a decade now.
This year we need to "Get that Pass Rusher" with pick #11, that player to be picked @#11 is Soloman Thomas from Stanford. Only then can I never hear about how our Saints need a pass rusher. Cameron Jordan is Not getting any younger while all the draft experts talk every year about how the Saints Need A Pass Rusher.

We need a pass rusher opposite to Cam Jordan. That has been said every year for a decade now.
This year we need to "Get that Pass Rusher" with pick #11, that player to be picked @#11 is Soloman Thomas from Stanford. Only then can I never hear about how our Saints need a pass rusher. Cameron Jordan is Not getting any younger while all the draft experts talk every year about how the Saints Need A Pass Rusher.

Had no idea it was already 2020. I must have overslept.

I love Thomas but if we grab him we will have to get some blazing speed at LB

Need to build from the inside out on both sides of the ball. From coaching to players. Need help on both lines. Have gained on the defensive side, but still need that one unstoppable beast. O line has got to be helped.

The FO was trying to recreate the magic that was Darren Sharper by bringing in Byrd. At the time Byrd was recognized by most as the second best FS in the league behind Earl Thomas. We weren't just bringing in a good player, we were bringing in a great player. Jenkins on the other hand was up and down his entire career. He was solid but he was nowhere near the player Byrd was so it seemed like an obvious upgrade. It just didn't work out the way it was supposed to.

So the FO knows how important it is to have an impact player who can disrupt the game and create turnovers. They have been trying to add play makers but those guys are hard to find. I think they'll add one at #11 though. Some defensive studs are going to be on the board at #11.

If the top pass rushers are gone then it's possible the top two Safeties could be on the board. Some people will prefer Jamal Adams and I think he is a great prospect but I prefer Malik Hooker. Adams is the better all around player at this point and he offers a lot of versatility. I can see him playing both Safety spots and being a force in the run game. But if you're looking for a ball hawking Safety who can flat out cover, then Hooker is your guy. A three Safety set with Hooker/Bell/Vaccaro would be a handful.

There was nothing wrong with the defense. What was wrong was our offense. But there was nothing that could be done that year but win 14 games. Had we not overreacted to that loss, we would be 2014 NFC South champions.

Need to build from the inside out on both sides of the ball. From coaching to players. Need help on both lines. Have gained on the defensive side, but still need that one unstoppable beast. O line has got to be helped.

Yes - on both accounts. The O-line = Yes. We need 2 mauler guards for Brees now and post Brees. And that one disruptor makes every other player on defense better. Look what Beasely is doing for the Tirds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom