Neck Training - article on PFT (1 Viewer)

PhD in biomechanics here – the idea that strengthening the neck is going to reduce concussions has no basis in scientific findings. In fact, actively contracting neck muscles during collisions is going to increase impact forces to the head, while relaxing the muscles will decrease impact forces, but increase musculotendon injuries.

this was one of the comments, and it was my gut reaction to the idea
i would imagine that it would have some effect on the head snapping back but not much with the snapping forward

there's all the anecdotal evidence about the range of injuries from car wrecks when you see the impact coming (tense for impact) vs don't see it coming (more relaxed)
building up the neck seems more analogous to the tensing for impact

I guess Roman has never had a concussion.

That guy who claims to have a Phd in biomechanics is likely a liar. I've spoken with researchers at university of Tulsa and LIBR who are doing major research on concussions and neck strength is a HUGE factor. Do a quick google search on it.

In fact, it's one of the main reasons tht if I had a son I would not let him play football until age 13 or 14 at least. Those little kids with tiny necks take a relatively larger blow to the head than NFLers do!

with concussions you have the coup and contrecoup-the impact and then the impact of the brain hitting the other side of the skull. Neck training can't hurt, might help some-but it won't totally prevent concussions. One thing that I have heard about is softening the shell of the helmet or adding padding to soften the padding-in order to absorb some of the impact (which is the main cause of concussions). I've seen a couple of NFL players use custom designed helmets using some of this research-the NFL doesn't want them to become mainstream b/c of how ugly they are, but the research has shown a significant reduction in the blunt force trauma.

Types of Damage

IMHO, the lack of neck strengthening coupled with more athletic trainers at the high school level are the reasons we are seeing the increase of concussions at the high school level. It seems that in the last 10-15 yrs, high schools followed the lead of colleges and switched to Olympic lifts and discarded the old 4 way neck machines that were in all weight rooms 20yrs ago. I just spoke with coaches at 13 different high schools on the MS Gulf Coast and only 1 school does any neck strengthening anymore yet they all said they did neck strengthening when they played.

IMHO, the lack of neck strengthening coupled with more athletic trainers at the high school level are the reasons we are seeing the increase of concussions at the high school level. It seems that in the last 10-15 yrs, high schools followed the lead of colleges and switched to Olympic lifts and discarded the old 4 way neck machines that were in all weight rooms 20yrs ago. I just spoke with coaches at 13 different high schools on the MS Gulf Coast and only 1 school does any neck strengthening anymore yet they all said they did neck strengthening when they played.

Haha. Was that 1 school Picayune? We definitely did a lot of neck strengthening.

this was one of the comments, and it was my gut reaction to the idea
i would imagine that it would have some effect on the head snapping back but not much with the snapping forward

there's all the anecdotal evidence about the range of injuries from car wrecks when you see the impact coming (tense for impact) vs don't see it coming (more relaxed)
building up the neck seems more analogous to the tensing for impact

That's it......new rule......all players must be drunk during games!!!!!

I have seen many drunk drivers walk away from wrecks they had no right to unharmed.

images

bring back the neck pad

images

future of youth football

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom