Need a little advice.. "Spring planting idea" (1 Viewer)

Morning glories don't really come into their own until August - October. Wifey did two trellis of them last year.

How 'bout full-sized marigolds in different colors? They get a two feet high and a couple of feet wide. They bloom from June to September too and act as natual bug repellants.

That's why I threw this thread out here... I just dunno... Monkey grass???? But it just gets lost in the fesque...

I just Love Spring... I have been doing so much planning, planting and fertilizing, trying to get it all done for the season, that I have not caught a fish, nor rode a motorcycle to even try to catch a fish.

Ont the left side of pic, by the shop dripline, I put Hosta, once the trees leave out, I'll be shaded... The fence bottom gets full sun, and I'll see the damage from that ice storm of "07.

What kind of winter temperatures do you have there Joe?

What a great pick.. Thanks Dave... The girl is more beautiful than the flower...

Ususallly we get 12* as a Christmas present... A little snow,, Lots of ICE... For about a month or two we stay round 30* Then we go full summer hot blazing sun... I swear the desert is moving this way...

BTW- dem's ain't iris, dey corn...

And I'll be honest with you Dave.. I did a period of 3 years with not one drop of rainfall... but that sems over now.. I hope.. God Bless Georgia...

Last edited:
I need to re-plant a tree in my front yard after losing one to the ice last December.

I planted a blueberry bush in my backyard but the neighbors cat keeps pooping in my whiskey barrels. Nasty cat.

I've got a privacy fence so whatever I decide will likely be a bit different from you but I like the Iris'. If you mulch around whatever you decide then mowing/weedwackin should be ok.

What about some azaleas? They might require some trimming eventually, but they could grow in pretty thick..

I would do azaleas, but I have never, ever had any luck with them. Something about changing the soil to a more acid ph.

My thought pattern here is really just something to break the contrast on that long run, and something easy to maintain. Daphodils maybe.

That run is friggin 75' long.

If anyone is interested, here is a decent online catalog of iris by color. Browse By Color

I need to re-plant a tree in my front yard after losing one to the ice last December.

I planted a blueberry bush in my backyard but the neighbors cat keeps pooping in my whiskey barrels. Nasty cat.

Top the soil with a couple inches of the red lava rock. Cats can't stand it. I have to use it in my flower garden in front because the dang cats wouldn't stop there. Now They don't even walk in it.

Top the soil with a couple inches of the red lava rock. Cats can't stand it. I have to use it in my flower garden in front because the dang cats wouldn't stop there. Now They don't even walk in it.

Great info. thanks. I asked my neighbors for a little help. They have been keeping their garage door closed to keep the cat inside. I may add some rock on the top soil in lue of mulch... just in case he sneaks out.

DaveinC you da man. No more cat terds in my whiskey barrells. It was probably the lava rocks but I also threw a whiffle ball bat and barely missed the cat. But probably the lava rocks.

btw - Joe, you need to remind me next year about the mid-April freeze. Second year in a row I lost some tomato plants because I planted too early and didn't cover on that one cold night.

My stuff did OK, but I did lose about 40% of the upper sprouts to my grapevine, but for the most part, it got through it faily and what did survive is growing fine now.

It always hits us thought.

Joe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom