need a new laptop (1 Viewer)

Redlands Saints

killing threads daily
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
need to buy a new laptop. need to stay under $850. question are intel or amd and xp or vista. not really happy about having to shop for a new machine but the old one is 5 years old and is starting to do some strange things. I thought I had a virus or spy/malware problem but ran 6 different removers and found nothing. so to you I ask for help :9:

AMD has fallen behind on performance but is still the price leader. However you can find core2duo laptops out there in your price range.

IMO XP is still the OS of choice for PCs. I'm still not impressed with Vista.

Of course you could do everything right and buy a Mac. ;) Then you can pretty much forget about the virus/malware issues that PCs have.

BTW, if your current system is giving you fits, why not just back up your essential files and blow the whole thing away. A reformatting and total reinstall is a lot cheaper than a new system...

One other thing. Go check out Techbargains.com. There are good deals listed there for PCs.

Unless you're savvy enough and have a copy, buying a laptop with XP is more difficult as you have to go through a business (usually internet) reseller. Not that big a deal, but it's limiting, and it elimnates off the shelf (which aren't the best deals anyway).

My personal preference are the new Intel core duos, and like Rickboy said, you can get one in your price range. Take a look at the new (ish) Dell Vostros. Pretty good bang for the buck.

You can get Dell Laptops with XP.

My preference, is XP and Core2 Duo, and 2 gigs of RAM.

I know what you said you are looking for but I gotta say my Macbook is rocking!

Intel and Vispa

XP will not be supported much longer... stop resisting and get Vispa

thanks gentlemen. I am in the process of blowing the old machine out and reinstalling from the restore disk to see if my problems go away. Rickboy, I would buy a Mac if I could get my wonderful wife to step back from the office suite. the IT guys at work want to try loading ubuntu (sp) and play around with it. we'll keep yall updated on whats happening.

thanks gentlemen. I am in the process of blowing the old machine out and reinstalling from the restore disk to see if my problems go away. Rickboy, I would buy a Mac if I could get my wonderful wife to step back from the office suite. the IT guys at work want to try loading ubuntu (sp) and play around with it. we'll keep yall updated on whats happening.

There is Office for Mac

get a mac. you can also run xp on your mac if you really need it but most applications are written for mac too.

Used

HP makes decent laptops as well as Lenovo

Lenovo's are great, but they're pretty expensive. The ones that are sold retail are usually bigger and heavier than the ones you can configure and order through the website. I really like their machines, but you pay for them.

AMD has fallen behind on performance but is still the price leader. However you can find core2duo laptops out there in your price range.

IMO XP is still the OS of choice for PCs. I'm still not impressed with Vista.

Of course you could do everything right and buy a Mac. ;) Then you can pretty much forget about the virus/malware issues that PCs have.

BTW, if your current system is giving you fits, why not just back up your essential files and blow the whole thing away. A reformatting and total reinstall is a lot cheaper than a new system...

One other thing. Go check out Techbargains.com. There are good deals listed there for PCs.

Or go with Ubuntu! I have resurrected older laptops with ubuntu and they run great.

PS agree 2Gb of ram for Vista, you should be able to find a really good laptop for $850, I have picked up some really nice Hp's with 17" displays for around $650 you just have to look around.

I'm a fan of Sony and Toshiba's, but the specs inside the laptops count the most. I'm a fan of the Vista, but I just think it's fairly new, so there aren't many software or games that support the Vista OS. Most laptops out there right now comes with Vista OS, but may want to look at getting at least 2 GB of memory. You can definitely find something within your budget basically anywhere, but the memory size might need upgrading. I'm also a fan of AMD as well, but Intel is very stable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom