Need a New TV. (1 Viewer)

DomePatrol5657

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
My current 50 inch HD TV is going bad. I have a bluish/purpleish spot on the upper right hand portion of the TV that is spreading. My dad had a TV repair shop till he semi retired a few years ago. He looked at it and said he could probably fix it but I would be better off getting a new one. So I'm looking to upgrade. Maybe 60 inches? Smart TV? Any recommendations from Saints Report? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased the 70" Vizio LED and love it... great picture with built in wifi and smart tv and it ran around 1600 at best buy.. I didn't look at the 60" ones but from what ive read they are very comparable and run around 1200.

I don't have a suggestion for you, but I've owned Samsung, Panasonic and Sony. All were / are great to me. The Sharp had the soap opera effect and I took it back, only to find out later I cold have adjusted the TV to correct that. Doh.

The only advice is go BIG!

I have a 60" now and we love it, but next to those behemoth 70 and 80 inchers, it looks small. Lol.

I have a 55 Toshiba that is back lit not edge lit much better contrast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sony Bravia 55" LED 3D. My Brother has one and it is the best picture I could have ever imagined. Never seen anything like it.

What do you want to do with it? As long as you don't want to use it as a PC monitor, I recommend a Panny Plasma as well. I use mine a PC monitor but really only for gaming a video. It isn't great at static, highly sharpened text and such. That said, it is the best TV I have ever seen for video and games. It's just great. I have the ST50. My father in law has the GT50, which is even nicer, but mostly because of more settings and faster "smart" interfaces. I have other devices for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and the like. But the TV's built in apps work just fine. Seriously, these are great TV's that blow any similarly priced LCD out of the water. You have to pay a lot more for an LCD to get the same performance.

What do you want to do with it? As long as you don't want to use it as a PC monitor, I recommend a Panny Plasma as well. I use mine a PC monitor but really only for gaming a video. It isn't great at static, highly sharpened text and such. That said, it is the best TV I have ever seen for video and games. It's just great. I have the ST50. My father in law has the GT50, which is even nicer, but mostly because of more settings and faster "smart" interfaces. I have other devices for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and the like. But the TV's built in apps work just fine. Seriously, these are great TV's that blow any similarly priced LCD out of the water. You have to pay a lot more for an LCD to get the same performance.

I have the GT50 also. It really is a spectacular set. I agree with everything you said. Watching film is a real treat.

I just upgraded myself from a 55" 1080dlp to a 60" samsung plasma! it has the best picture i've ever seen and i own several led and lcd tv's.....oh and it's under a $1000 at best buy. also bought a toshiba sound bar with wireless sub and mounted the bar to the bottom of the tv. very clean install and the wife is excited that she doesnt see any wires!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to use it for regular TV viewing. It will be going into my den. I hope to be able to go shopping this weekend. I'll let you know what I decide on. Thanks again everyone!

I have the 60" Panny Plasma as well and to echo what the other guys said. Great picture.
This past Christmas, my wife bought me the Bose Cinemate GS.
We now have it paired with the TV (Unbelievably easy hookup). It sounds great.
I bring this up because it is on sale right now at Best Buy for $599.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom