Need Feedback, Please....possibly opening an office in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

chad_moore

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I don't post on here very often, but do read the board atleast 4-5 times a day. I currently live in San Diego, but am originally from LaPlace, where most of my family still lives. I am thinking of opening an office with my company in New Orleans.

I'd like to get some feedback from locals about there thoughts, since I value the opinions on this board so much.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I currently own a business in San Diego with offices in SD, LA, Las Vegas, and Orange County.

2. My company provides IT/Computer support to small businesses (less than 75 employees) for a flat fee each month.

3. I have grown my company in the last three years to a point where we have over 15 consultants.

4. I won't get into the details, but it's a very fine tuned machine and has recently been recognized out here in California as one of the most innovative IT firms in southern California....awards and all ;)

SO....since New Orleans is in the rebuilding process, I really want to do my part and help rebuild the place that really made me what I am today.

Now for my questions....

1. How tough is the competition in New Orleans for IT business?

2. How hard is it to find talent (MCSE, CCNA, etc) to do the work?

I honestly don't care about making a huge profit out there. It's more of an emotional thing for me with possibly creating a few more jobs for folks and providing a quality service.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. If things work out, I'd like to come back home for about 6-12 months and create some business and have 2-3 consultants working the area. All the backend stuff is handled here (advertising, billing, HR, legal, etc).

Thanks for your time and your input.

Of course....anyone out there with the required skills...I'm definitely open to talking with and seeing what we can do to work together.

Chad

Wow! What a good thing it is you're trying to do

:9:

Chad,

I applaud you for your efforts.:clapbig: It's not enought to just talk about doing something...you're actually doing it. WTG!

My guess is you'll get a lot more responses during the start of a new week now that folks are in their workspaces.

I'm not sure Chad. My company has an in-house IT department and outsources some helpdesk functions to a firm out of Philly who does that kind of thing. For hardware stuff, they generally use Bellweather. It's a large firm (> 3000 employees). As for the small guys, I really don't know. I'd suggest that you maybe try D&B and see who the players are and who their client base is. I know that's possible, I just don't know how to do it (assuming you're a member business FWIW). There are a ton of service vehicles around with "Contractor for Bellsouth" magnets/signs on their vans. So I know there are dozens of installation firms running wires and cable throughout the city. Again, not sure where your area of expertise is, but I ain't a business owner. I guess you could always try some direct marketing to firms and see what you come away with. :shrug:

Good luck.

TPS

We would like to purchase a pice of property any where alnog the Gulf Coast and build a club.. And spend our money and help rebuild and retire there...

Seems either fate does not lead this way.. Or real estate agents wanting millions...

Would like to consider all options from investors to small Property...

Joe

Chad,
Even if the market in New Orleans doesn't provide you with ample work, if you based your HQ out of the city, you could take advantage of HUGE tax incentives!!!

I suggest getting together with a tax attorney and or accountant and first looking at that avenue. Anything you would actually make in market share would be gravy.

I want to applaud you for returning home to do your part.
Thanx bro...

I don't post on here very often, but do read the board atleast 4-5 times a day. I currently live in San Diego, but am originally from LaPlace, where most of my family still lives. I am thinking of opening an office with my company in New Orleans.

I'd like to get some feedback from locals about there thoughts, since I value the opinions on this board so much.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I currently own a business in San Diego with offices in SD, LA, Las Vegas, and Orange County.

2. My company provides IT/Computer support to small businesses (less than 75 employees) for a flat fee each month.

3. I have grown my company in the last three years to a point where we have over 15 consultants.

4. I won't get into the details, but it's a very fine tuned machine and has recently been recognized out here in California as one of the most innovative IT firms in southern California....awards and all ;)

SO....since New Orleans is in the rebuilding process, I really want to do my part and help rebuild the place that really made me what I am today.

Now for my questions....

1. How tough is the competition in New Orleans for IT business?

2. How hard is it to find talent (MCSE, CCNA, etc) to do the work?

I honestly don't care about making a huge profit out there. It's more of an emotional thing for me with possibly creating a few more jobs for folks and providing a quality service.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. If things work out, I'd like to come back home for about 6-12 months and create some business and have 2-3 consultants working the area. All the backend stuff is handled here (advertising, billing, HR, legal, etc).

Thanks for your time and your input.

Of course....anyone out there with the required skills...I'm definitely open to talking with and seeing what we can do to work together.

Chad

Chad,
You are a good man for thinking of your hometown like this. The guy you need to get in touch with is Mark Lewis. He is the head of the Louisiana Tech Council, based in New Orleans. His job is to make it easy for guys like you to move here and do business in the area. Visit this website Tech Council. Mark can be reached at 504-304-2910. He used to be my wife's neighbor, so I got to know the guy. He did really well with some tech company in the late 90's and has been running this civic group for a while. Let me know if you need anything else.
Ben

Sorry I don't have anything to add as far as current business/technical expertise of the NOLA area- I just wanted to say hi from one Tri-Parish guy (I grew up mainly in Norco & Destrehan) who's also now in SoCal, to another- I'm sure there aren't many of us around here...:hihi:

Chad, I want to give you a good pat on the back for considering moving to NO just to try and help the local economy.

As far as the tech competition in NO I am clueless. I would like to remind you that the Baton Rouge and Northshore areas are booming and if you do take the leap of faith then keep those markets in consideration because I am sure they could bring you as much business as New Orleans and I don't think distance would be an issue (not sure).

I have thought about opening a store in New Orleans myself but I am just simply not in the position to take that sort of risk.

Good luck Chad. I gave serious consideration to starting my own business installing telecom equipment/wiring with all the reconstruction on the Gulf Coast and in New Orleans. Alas...my boss enjoys the "stability" of my current job.

Everyone-

Thank you so much for the feedback!! My company doesn't compete with the BellSouth guys....we have Pacific Bell or SBC (now AT&T) our here. So, we don't do cabling and so forth. Xonicwave primarily handles servers, workstations, laptops, firewalls, etc. for small businesses.

What has made us successful is that we charge a flat rate each month for unlimited support. Unlike most firms that charge by the hour, which makes clients often feel like they are getting nickeled and dimed to death. It's worked wonders out here.

I'm not opposed to doing business in Baton Rouge or on the northshore, but the goal is to create some jobs and give something back. I started this company with no funding and my own blood sweat and tears. In three years, I've turned it into a 3 million dollar a year organization....but more importantly, a place that people actually enjoy coming to work.

One thing I learned growing up...not sure if it was my parents or just that Southern Culture.....take care of others and they will take care of you ten fold in return.

I am definitely going to follow up with the NO Tech Council and see what I can turn up. I'm not a big 1000 strong company, but I figure if it gives three more people jobs........that's potentially three less families on unemployment, three more families spending money on the local economy, which hopefully will create a ripple effect throughout the city.

I'm just out to try and make a small change with a hopeful huge impact. I can't rebuild the city, but I want to give some folks an opportunity to rebuild their lives.

Thanks again for all the feedback and I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out. And if anyone knows of any IT guys looking for work locally....I'd love to try and work with them to create something special.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom