Need Help....Question for Saints Historians (1 Viewer)

donnad61463

I Still Believe!
Reaction score
A co-worker of mine is trying to find a video clip of an old Saints play (possibly from the 90's) where the Saints (Barnhardt, we think) punted to the Rams in the Dome. The punt went into the endzone and the Saints players proceeded to walk of the field like the play was over and the Rams player decided to run it back for a touchdown.

He thinks he saw this clip on one of The Best Damn Sports Show lists, but can't remember. I have googled and youtubed my butt off and can't find it.:hihi: Any help and/or a link would be appreciated because it is driving us crazy.:fou:

Last edited:
I remember that play and it caught a very unaware team and made Us look foolish for not being "Heads Up" at all times with our players heads into the game fully engaged and thinking about opportunity at all times!

I think that was the same game where Tyrone Hughes had both a punt return and kick return for TDs.

That game was nicknamed "The Many Happy Returns Game."

The return was legitimate. The ball stopped about a yard from the back of the end zone, and a Ram picked it up and ran all the way for a touchdown.

The play should not have counted, though, because the entire Rams offense, unaware the play was continuing, trotted on to the field, meaning they had 22 men on the field. Somehow, the refs missed it.

It apparently was on a "Best Damn" list, but the page it was on is no longer available. I found a reference to it here: http://www.threedonia.com/archives/2031
foxsports said:
47. Robert Bailey
In a crazy game filled with two kick returns for TDs and a 98-yard fumble return, the strangest runback was the longest punt return in NFL history. With a Saints punt settling in the end zone, the Saints special teams watched the ball come to a stop but didn’t down the ball for the touchback. Rams return man Robert Bailey alertly picked up the ball and ran 103 yards for the score.
I believe it's an NFL record even though as gsmith stated the play should have been negated. Found a reference to that here: http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19941026&slug=1938058
seattle times said:
ANAHEIM, Calif. - Robert Bailey's 103-yard punt return for a Los Angeles Ram touchdown against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday should have been negated by a penalty because players had come off the sidelines onto the field, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans quoted a supervisor of officials as saying.

"Both of the teams were out there illegally," Leo Miles told the newspaper. He watched the game as the league's official observer.

According to league rules, the penalty for such a double foul where there is a change in possession requires that the ball be returned to the point where the infraction occurred - in this case, near the Ram 15-yard line.
Alas, my google skills haven't been able to turn up a video either.

Thanks for the replies and all the additional information. We have vowed to not stop looking until a clip has been found.:ezbill:

I actually have that game on VHS. Back then, I had to work on Sundays and was forced to videotape the games and watch them when I got home. I taped all the games from 94-96. Funny part is I STILL HAVE THEM in box in a closet somewhere. If I remember correctly, it was in 1995 and (you're correct Buickman) Hughes had two returns for TDs too. I also have the NFL Primetime (ESPN) from that game taped too. This was back when Robin Roberts had all the NFC West highlights (ugh).

I don't have ANY idea how I would get this clip from VHS to a media form that I could post on YouTube (or send directly). Ideas?

I was just looking to verify the date of that game too. Thanks for finding that. I'll see if I can pull that tape tonight after work. If anyone has any ideas on how to transfer from VHS to another media, let me know and I'll try to get it done.

I was just looking to verify the date of that game too. Thanks for finding that. I'll see if I can pull that tape tonight after work. If anyone has any ideas on how to transfer from VHS to another media, let me know and I'll try to get it done.

That would be great to see the clip, but I don't want you to go to too much trouble. We were just talking Saints stuff like we do every day and this came up. You know how things like that can drive you crazy. I just can't believe it's not already on internet - everything else in this world is. And from all the information posted from you guys (thanks), I found out that at least it didn't change that we won the game. But still would be cool to see.

I remember that game. It was something like 104 or 107 yd. return, while Saints players stood around watching:covri:

So when did they change the rules on this, because now as soon as the ball hits in the endzone it is whistled a touchback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom