Need Help With OTA HD Channels (1 Viewer)

Yeti

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I tried some bunny ears and was only able to get PBS and not ABC which is basically the same distance away. I was also hoping to get FOX out of Monroe but I suppose that is out of the question.

My zip code is 71416. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should get?

you are gonna need a 20 foot push up pole, a titan 7778 preamplifier, and a cm4228 antenna, along with some rg6. you can also try a radio shack omnidirectional, the white ufo looking antenna that has the preamp built in already. I had good luck with those. I would probably try one of those first as the cm4228 is directional. you couldnt receive kalb? they have a very strong signal. I receive it very well in opelousas. as long as the shreveport or monroe stations are pumping out a strong signal you have a shot. i receive stations out of alexandria, baton rouge, and even lake charles from opelousas. so try the radio shack omni first and then if that doesnt work you will need to get the big boy. the reason I say try the radio shack first is because you can easily bring it back.

>>UHF range up to 35 miles

thats the key, most digital resides in the uhf range. plus you would need a preamplifier.

compare that to the cm4228:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ANC4228

UHF Reception Range: 60 Miles

if you cant return items to the radio shack then without a doubt you will want the cm4228. you will want to point the directional side toward the farthest channels that you want to receive. you should be able to get kalb on the backside, as I can get it on the backside here and I am pretty far from alexandria. it really is a strong signal. with them you will get both nbc and cbs on the same digital channel, but people have complained about the quality. you have to get a preamp though. its best to put the preamp as close to the antenna as possible. basically you will want to put the top piece of the preamp at the base of the antenna and then have the other piece in the attic where the wire comes in at. you will need a plug in also. Im not saying it wont work with it closer to the tv but it could be the difference between getting a fringe channel or not.

look up avsforum.com and go to the local channel reception forum and you can ask questions in the threads for the various cities like alexandria, lafayette, monroe, or sheveport to get a idea of what would be the best way to point.

I'll try that Radio shack one first. I will just go to the Radio Shack in Alexandria rather than the crap one in Natchitoches. Thanks for the help diat. I will keep you updated on my progress.

the radio shack one worked better for my grandmother than the cm4228. the omnidirectional style makes it easy. rf is strange and you dont always get what you would expect. the best thing to do is not be disappointed if it doesnt work right away and give up. try moving it to a different location, try lowering or raising the antenna, or rotating. ask questions here and i will be glad to answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom