Need help with VPN/Remote Desktop! (1 Viewer)

Claw

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Ok, I want to be able to access my office computer (which uses our server extensively for data and installed programs) for anywhere via my laptop. I think what I want to do is basically like 'remote desktop', where I'm using my office computer as I would while in my office, but remotely from my laptop. I kind of know how I can go about this, by using remote desktop or a program like Real VNC, but I know that my skill level will not ensure me as to how secure it would be. I also know that there are a few of you guys in here that absolutely know what they are talking about in regards to this stuff, so if you don't mind, could you provide me with a little advice/tips/links to get this working at the most secure manner possible (will be sometimes doing payrroll for 100+ employees at home), but relatively cheaply or free if possible.

It'd primarily be XP pro ==> XP pro, but an added bonus would be to also be able to access the XP pro office comp with a vista machine at home. If it means anything, the laptop is also configured to be used in my office network if necessary.

My router is a Netopia Cayman 3300 Series, which I also understand can be very flexible.

Thanks in advance

In my experience, if you don't have VPN access to the office, then VNC won't work. I've used the Remote Desktop tool to access my parents PC and show them how to do things. I think, though, that someone would need to be at the PC granting access to allow it to be controlled remotely.

Another option is to try gotomypc.com. I've never used it, but I've heard it advertised on the radio. Here at our offfice, we have VPN access that allows us explicit IP address access to the corporate PC's.

There are many different solutions available, but they are all going to depend on what kind access you have to the firewall at your office. It will either have to be an endpoint for your VPN or be configured to pass traffic to your computer at the office.

You might also try hamachi: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

There are many different solutions available, but they are all going to depend on what kind access you have to the firewall at your office. It will either have to be an endpoint for your VPN or be configured to pass traffic to your computer at the office.

You might also try hamachi: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

Thanks I will check it out.

As far as the access of the firewall, I can do what is necessary (father is owner), but we hired an independent IT guy to set the network up initially, plus he comes as we need him, though it's a lot less since I took over a couple years ago.

I would also like to add that my office comp MUST be securely locked when I'm away (I know it would obviously have to stay on) because my sec. has access to the office to get things.

ok.. here ya go.. you have xp.. and vista.. if win2k, you have to download the terminal client. xp and vista come with it.
on your pc work, right click on my computer, and click properties. remote, , then click allow users to connect remotely to this computer. , select remote users.. make sure your user name is already in it, or add it in the list.. if you're in administrators, it's already there, without being listed.

you said your laptop is configured to use in the office, but do you already have vpn access for it? in the office on lan, not in the office remote = vpn

with this set up, you logout of your machine at work normally. the remote is that, exactly a remote. you start up remote desktop connection out of the start/programs/accessories menu.
tell it the ip of your work laptop. , then put your login that you use for that work computer.
it logs you in as if you're sitting at it.
if you dont' have a vpn connection, you would need that first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom