Need help with water bill in NOLA (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I became a home owner this past summer. My water bill has been higher and higher every month since. I don't understand my bill as there are several lines that just say "water usage" with various charges per 1000 gallons. I don't understand why there would be multiple lines with multiple prices ranging from 2.96 to 5.06. There are also 2 separate lines for "sewer volume" charges. My water charge is $67 this month.

Is that usual at all? I guess I never imagined water service would cost that much.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not in the NOLA area anymore, but here we don't get that much detail. Cost is a little higher though. It's always at least 30-40 something for sewer and depending on usage something like mid 30s to 50s for water, sometimes with an addon for storm drainage (not sure how that part works but it's always under $10. There's some minimum charge just for having service. When I've been away for most of a month it's never below I think $56 as min. I don't think I've ever been over $100, but 90s aren't rare, and I'd say average for the year is in the 70s.

OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not in the NOLA area anymore, but here we don't get that much detail. Cost is a little higher though. It's always at least 30-40 something for sewer and depending on usage something like mid 30s to 50s for water, sometimes with an addon for storm drainage (not sure how that part works but it's always under $10. There's some minimum charge just for having service. When I've been away for most of a month it's never below I think $56 as min. I don't think I've ever been over $100, but 90s aren't rare, and I'd say average for the year is in the 70s.
Thanks. With water, sewer, and trash pick up I'm looking at $70-$90. I guess that's about right then.

rob22278

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
10% price increase took effect in January.

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have not been in Lafayette for a few years but there was some sort of tiered pricing. It had something to do with watering yards if I remember right. Maybe it was a higher rate for the first x number of gallons then a reduced rate for over that. That might be why you see multiple rates.

Sewer is of course tied to water consumption. I do not ever recall my water/sewer bill being that high though and my wife spent half her day with a a water hose in her hand watering flowers.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My bill for a very old house with a family of three ranges from around 60 to 75 a month including the sanitation fee.

OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My bill for a very old house with a family of three ranges from around 60 to 75 a month including the sanitation fee.

Hmmm...I'm in a new construction/renovated house with just me and my wife. We're in the Irish Channel. I'll watch it again this month after knowing that I fixed my running toilet. Maybe it ran for a couple of days without my knowing and ran up the bill.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Dude, I feel your pain. We eventually got up to $200 a month before they even sent someone out. You know what they did about it? Nothing as of yet. I got the tool to turn the water back on when they cut it off because I told them I've paid five years of water bills this year and I'm not paying another one until they do something about it.

OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Dude, I feel your pain. We eventually got up to $200 a month before they even sent someone out. You know what they did about it? Nothing as of yet. I got the tool to turn the water back on when they cut it off because I told them I've paid five years of water bills this year and I'm not paying another one until they do something about it.
I'm afraid of that kind of thing. My neighbor definitely has an issue with their sewerage that has apparently gone on for years without attention from the city.

OP
Brennan77

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Dam!n Brennan, didn't realize times are so rough for you right now. Maybe we can all get together and chip in to help you in your time of need.
Hah. At this rate I may have to take you up on that!

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Thank God for Jefferson Parish. Water bill comes every other month and a 4-bedroom has new been over $60 every bill period.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Tapatalk 2

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm afraid of that kind of thing. My neighbor definitely has an issue with their sewerage that has apparently gone on for years without attention from the city.

They should call out the sewerage police.

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
My first bill was high so I called company, they looked up prior 12 month history of prior owner n told me its probably your water sprinklers. Sure enough I didn't turn them on again and my bill went way down

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys have a water bill... I guess it makes sense, but damn... I've always been on a well.

FLEA

Livin' the dream
Reaction score
here in Booger Holler I pay $120 + / month for water, sewage and garbage. The reason is because on one side of the street is city and on my side is considered county. When I moved here I was told I could tap into the water but was never told about being charged DOUBLE. YEP DOUBLE for being on the wrong side of the street. It isn't like they had to run any extra pipe or anything. I raise hell about it all the time but it falls on deaf ears.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom