Need In-Law advice (1 Viewer)

Hell no. If it were for them to come by for an occasional visit, maybe. To live there!? **** no.

You has better love then as much as you do your wife, If not find every reason in the world not to do it. My mother-n-law moved in with us for a while but she was a 1 in a million and a pleasure to have around.

It really depends on your relationship with them. It would have to be near perfect to even consider this, and even then I'd strongly lean towards no.

tumblr_m4n3acifJ71qihztbo1_500.gif

I know it sounds appealing to have built-in babysitters for the time when this will be a need, but that close? I'd say no. It would be way too easy for the child care assistance to become a daily event, even when not needed, and then the decisions that you and your wife make regarding discipline, etc., will be under constant scrutiny and likely interfered with. If making them part of the decision making process in terms of how to raise your kids does not sound ok to you, then I wouldn't even consider it.

Are they willing to pay for the a quarter of the loan?

It really depends on what kind of relationsship you have

I couldn't even live with my OWN parents in my backyard. Don't get me wrong - I love my parents and we go visit them all the time, but we're just too different.

It really depends on what kind of relationsship you have

I couldn't even live with my OWN parents in my backyard. Don't get me wrong - I love my parents and we go visit them all the time, but we're just too different.

:17:

really just depends on the relationship. I would not really want my parents living with me our in a mother in law suite unless they were not able to take care of themselves and I think they would feel the same way. I would not mind my mother in law doing it though but she is by herself. The biggest pain would be her dogs which I can handle. My wife would probably feel differently though so its probably a no to both unless they needed assistance to live comfortably

As most have said...don't do it. If they were in poor health, it would be different. The baby sitting situation would be a perk but you also have that perk if they lived with 15 minutes of you. I have both parents and in-laws within a 15 mile radius and that is close enough. If they need anything we are close by and if we need babysitters, we usually can rely on them as well. Having your parents or in-laws in your backyard will put a strain on your marriage as you will be trying to make too many people happy. It would also make peeing off the back porch weird. :ezbill:

What is your wife's opinion on the deal? Is she pushing it or just wanting your feedback?

my wife would go nuts if my moms moved in.

i would go nuts if my wifes mom or dad moved in.

basically, i'd rather drive 10 mins to drop my little boy off to have my mom watch him than my mom/or inlaws moving in.

i'd buy a little smaller house personally.

I think it depends if they understand the concept of personal space. Like, will they be treating a visit to the main house like they would a visit any other time? Call in advance, don't stick around all day? Etc etc. Or will they treat it as the option to simply come on over anytime they feel like and hang out all day to the point where you and wife never have any private time.

My girlfriends mom lived with us a few months while she was changing jobs. We did okay because her mom knew when it was time for her to head back to her part of the house and stay in that area instead of being in our hair the entire time. She understood that just because we were living in the same home didn't mean we needed also do everything together.

But some people don't do that.

If they move in with you now, that's potentially 30 years they'll be living with you....that's longer than you've been alive thus far. If they were in their 70's and needed help, I'd consider it. But, 30 years is a looong time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom