Need Info On Credit Repair or Credit Issues? (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
www.creditboards.com

I found this site a few months ago and it has really helped me with some credit repair issues. It is a user-based forum, so it isn't driven by any credit repair scams or debt relief companies or anything like that. The users are friendly and knowledgeable and the site is pretty heavily moderated- which all SR members know is a really good thing. But there is a wealth of information ranging from credit repair, credit issues as they relate to mortgages, credit cards, collections, etc. and many threads about the best deals going out there.

You don't have to have bad credit to benefit from the information that is available. People share their experiences, tactics that have been successful - as well as "live and learn" experiences that weren't successful.

But if you're completely in the dark about your rights under credit laws, rights and obligations of creditors and collection agencies and about how credit reporting works- go to the newbies section and read the seminars. There are also sample letters for you to base correspondence with creditors.

I have benefitted greatly from this site - so I thought I would pass it along.

www.creditboards.com

I found this site a few months ago and it has really helped me with some credit repair issues. It is a user-based forum, so it isn't driven by any credit repair scams or debt relief companies or anything like that. The users are friendly and knowledgeable and the site is pretty heavily moderated- which all SR members know is a really good thing. But there is a wealth of information ranging from credit repair, credit issues as they relate to mortgages, credit cards, collections, etc. and many threads about the best deals going out there.

You don't have to have bad credit to benefit from the information that is available. People share their experiences, tactics that have been successful - as well as "live and learn" experiences that weren't successful.

But if you're completely in the dark about your rights under credit laws, rights and obligations of creditors and collection agencies and about how credit reporting works- go to the newbies section and read the seminars. There are also sample letters for you to base correspondence with creditors.

I have benefitted greatly from this site - so I thought I would pass it along.

:plus-un2: :worthy: :plus-un2:

I couldnt agree more Sup!! I found it several months ago and it is great. it really opened my eyes to what a loser some of these collection agencies are. Dont get me started on the terrible job that these credit reporting agencies do.:cussing:

sweet!

i have learned so much from that site. unless you learn what the rules/laws/operation of it all, they really do have the advantage. hell, i'm a lawyer and i didn't know jack squat about how to manage credit, fix your credit report and handle creditors. just spending a couple days reading the information on there and it's a totally different situation!

Where were you three years ago?

:covri:

Thanks for the link...

I dug this up and I am surprised it never got more comments.

I am on the site and digging through the layers of step by step medical dispute. But here is my situation, I have almost perfect credit except for one item from 2017 or 18 that is only in the amount of like 60. I was in the LSU Health network and at some point between making an appointment and going they dropped out so my copay went up. But the nurse didn't tell me that and took my regular copay. I said all that to say, that I was going to try to fix it with them and forgot about it before it went to collections.

Now, at 60 bucks I would really prefer to just get into pay for deletion and be done with it. And the fact that it isn't even hurting my credit "that bad" makes me even more reluctant to invest all the time in it. But I know just enough to be dangerous. I know that I can't come to verbal agreement on the phone and that I would at least have to follow up with priority letter. I actually successfully disputed with two agencies but the 3rd rejected.

Is it safe on that low an account to jump straight to a pay for deletion request? I also read that its better to talk them down, even if its just 10 dollars because then the bad credit is reporting the wrong amount. And is it better to start with the doctors office or jump straight to the current buyer of the debt?

i feel attacked by this thread title

when it was made, I did too. But first I just stopped using cards, I had 3 maxed out and was paying min pays. Then a couple of years ago I just started throwing a few hundred at them every month and my numbers skyrocketed. I just did it one month and the results were so impressive that I continued until they were all paid. I don't know if you are in position to do it yet but I can tell you it happens way way faster than I ever imagined it could.

I also read that its better to talk them down, even if its just 10 dollars because then the bad credit is reporting the wrong amount. And is it better to start with the doctors office or jump straight to the current buyer of the debt?

Technically, that's not correct. If your original balance was $60, and you negotiate it down to $10; they will still likely report it as a $60 bad debt that was settled for less than the amount owed. That's an accurate representation of what happened. Also, something else to consider (although on a debt this small it's not that big an issue). If you owe $60, and you negotiate it down to $10, there is a chance you will receive a 1099 (I think it is) for the $50 difference, and will have to pay taxes on it. The IRS considers forgiven debt as income (as a rule).

Technically, that's not correct. If your original balance was $60, and you negotiate it down to $10; they will still likely report it as a $60 bad debt that was settled for less than the amount owed. That's an accurate representation of what happened. Also, something else to consider (although on a debt this small it's not that big an issue). If you owe $60, and you negotiate it down to $10, there is a chance you will receive a 1099 (I think it is) for the $50 difference, and will have to pay taxes on it. The IRS considers forgiven debt as income (as a rule).

Ah. I meant talk it down “by” 10 to 50 but it doesn’t change your point. I wish I had not gotten so hung up on not being told and had just payed the darn thing when I had the chance.

I can’t help but think chuck was charging clients for the time he spent browsing the forum in the OP getting answers to complex legal questions from 14 year olds.

Ah. I meant talk it down “by” 10 to 50 but it doesn’t change your point. I wish I had not gotten so hung up on not being told and had just payed the darn thing when I had the chance.

Yeah, it does suck, and we've all done things like that. One thing you COULD try, but it's a long shot, is to go to the hospital (or doctor's office) and sit down with someone in the financial office. Explain the situation to them, face to face, hat in hand, and see if there is any way you can get them to pull it back from the collector and you pay it directly to them.

Yeah, it does suck, and we've all done things like that. One thing you COULD try, but it's a long shot, is to go to the hospital (or doctor's office) and sit down with someone in the financial office. Explain the situation to them, face to face, hat in hand, and see if there is any way you can get them to pull it back from the collector and you pay it directly to them.

that I definitely would be willing to do. If they will see anyone for non med reasons right now. I have joined the forum Chuck posted. I find it a good resource although every question gets answered with a link and step by steps are series of links so you end up getting lost in endless open tabs.

I would assume if I go the in person route that I need to not settle then and there or at least bring the proper paperwork to have something in writing that it will be taken back. I guess I could just agree to pay when I had something in the mail from them saying they had taken possession of the debt again?

heck at this point I’d pay them interest just to quickly end it

that I definitely would be willing to do. If they will see anyone for non med reasons right now. I have joined the forum Chuck posted. I find it a good resource although every question gets answered with a link and step by steps are series of links so you end up getting lost in endless open tabs.

I would assume if I go the in person route that I need to not settle then and there or at least bring the proper paperwork to have something in writing that it will be taken back. I guess I could just agree to pay when I had something in the mail from them saying they had taken possession of the debt again?

heck at this point I’d pay them interest just to quickly end it

Yeah, I would trust the hospital to treat you fairly when it comes to paying them. With collectors, you can't really take them at their word because there are too many horror stories out there of people who agreed to something over the phone, made a payment, and the collector didn't hold up their end of the agreement.

Yeah, I would trust the hospital to treat you fairly when it comes to paying them. With collectors, you can't really take them at their word because there are too many horror stories out there of people who agreed to something over the phone, made a payment, and the collector didn't hold up their end of the agreement.

Yeah, I wouldn’t make a payment without it in writing.

I tought I saw a new credit reporting agency on Facebook. I can't find it now, but it seemed like a better version of Experian.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom