Need passport info - anybody work in the field or know someone who does? (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The timelines have recently changed and they no longer let you come to get same-day service unless you're within 14 days of travel. But expedited service now takes 7 to 9 weeks. There's no info about what do to if you're in the traveling within 7 weeks but not urgent. I think the logical answer is that you have to wait until you get within the 14 day window for Urgent service but that seems a bit silly.

It's impossible to speak to someone.

The timelines have recently changed and they no longer let you come to get same-day service unless you're within 14 days of travel. But expedited service now takes 7 to 9 weeks. There's no info about what do to if you're in the traveling within 7 weeks but not urgent. I think the logical answer is that you have to wait until you get within the 14 day window for Urgent service but that seems a bit silly.

It's impossible to speak to someone.

its true.

went thru this last year before Europe. We went in person and while they said 8-10 weeks, we got in like 4.

I asked the lady about the whole " within 14 days travel" and she said that was the only "expedited service" they offer.

We went to Parish (St. Tammany ) courthouse in Covington where they had a passport office- do you not have one near you?

I think someone else here came quite close to not getting passport in time for travel....

nm - it was in renewal ....

its true.

went thru this last year before Europe. We went in person and while they said 8-10 weeks, we got in like 4.

I asked the lady about the whole " within 14 days travel" and she said that was the only "expedited service" they offer.

We went to Parish (St. Tammany ) courthouse in Covington where they had a passport office- do you not have one near you?

I think someone else here came quite close to not getting passport in time for travel....

nm - it was in renewal ....

What's true?

There are "passport acceptance offices" which we have around us - mostly at USPS locations. But then there are "passport centers" and those aren't as common. We would have to fly to Atlanta, DC, or New Orleans. And because it's my 8-year old, the whole family would have to fly to wherever we would go because both parents and the child have to be there in-person.

Our travel is in 7 weeks and three days as of Monday, which is the first chance I would have to go to a passport acceptance office. I think we'll probably get it, it's a renewal (though for a child). BUT if we apply and don't have it as the travel date approaches, we can only go to the passport center within FIVE days of departure. So we would have to go to Atlanta or DC within five days of our international departure. What a sheet sandwich.

The worst part is that the child's passport is still good - it doesn't expire until October. It's the "six-month rule" that means the passport is actually meaningless for travel. What the hell is that? An official document should either be valid or expired.

What's true?

There are "passport acceptance offices" which we have around us - mostly at USPS locations. But then there are "passport centers" and those aren't as common. We would have to fly to Atlanta, DC, or New Orleans. And because it's my 8-year old, the whole family would have to fly to wherever we would go because both parents and the child have to be there in-person.

Our travel is in 7 weeks and three days as of Monday, which is the first chance I would have to go to a passport acceptance office. I think we'll probably get it, it's a renewal (though for a child). BUT if we apply and don't have it as the travel date approaches, we can only go to the passport center within FIVE days of departure. So we would have to go to Atlanta or DC within five days of our international departure. What a sheet sandwich.

The worst part is that the child's passport is still good - it doesn't expire until October. It's the "six-month rule" that means the passport is actually meaningless for travel. What the hell is that? An official document should either be valid or expired.
The irony in this . . . my passport was issued from South Carolina . . .

The irony in this . . . my passport was issued from South Carolina . . .

Yeah, there's a big Dept. of State Passport Office at the federal complex. It's just not a "passport center".

What's true?

the 14 day window crap

which is crap.

I cant imagine any greater stresser than having to wait on the Feds to get passport issued within the time frame of ones travel.

Im guessing you arent flying out of ATL or IAD...

shoot man i dont know anyone in those departments- just federal law enf side which i dont think either of them would be any help.

the 14 day window crap

which is crap.

I cant imagine any greater stresser than having to wait on the Feds to get passport issued within the time frame of ones travel.

Im guessing you arent flying out of ATL or IAD...

shoot man i dont know anyone in those departments- just federal law enf side which i dont think either of them would be any help.

I know a lawyer at State and she ain't any help. I think you would have to know someone directly situated in the Passport issuance program at State.

I know a lawyer at State and she ain't any help. I think you would have to know someone directly situated in the Passport issuance program at State.
One of my coworkers recently did an expedite process that utilized FedEx. He’s gone for the day so I can’t get details, but I remember FedEx playing a pivotal role. Sorry for the lack of details.

I think he managed to make it happen in a couple of weeks. It cost quite a bit if I recall.

I recently did an expedited one and it cost an extra $60. It took about a 4-6 weeks. I had more time, but i saw that other thread and it convinced me to be save and pay the extra money. This was a renewal though.

I recently did an expedited one and it cost an extra $60. It took about a 4-6 weeks. I had more time, but i saw that other thread and it convinced me to be save and pay the extra money. This was a renewal though.

How recently? We’re 7 and a half weeks out but the Reddit thread on passports is all over the place. My wife’s expedited in March came in six weeks. But I read that now, it all depends on which processing center you get. Some expedited are taking 10 to 12 weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom