Need some advice on aquariums (2 Viewers)

T.P.

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a 55 gallon tank many moons ago and I figured it's time start on a new one. I would like to do tropical fish and do a 100 gallon this time. Like I have said it's been awhile since I have done an aquarium. So what are some of things I need to know...IE where are the good places to pick up accessories? what accessories do I need? What I would like to do is buy a used tank and stand and start from there.. Any advice would be appreciated. Don't assume I know anything LOL..

For a tank that size, a canister filter would be a good choice. It won't take up so much real-estate inside or hanging over the back.

Craigslist often has good deals on aquariums and accessories.

What sort of accessories are you looking for? I mostly do saltwater but can assist you some. I recommend a Fluval FX5 canister filter. You can find them on ebay for the best price. Where do you live? I can tell you where to go for the cheapest tanks. A 90 gallon is a pretty standard size and can be bought new for around $200.

Do yourself a favor and don't jump at the lowest priced Tank. Make sure you are buying a quality brand and try to get the stand with it because most manufacturers will offer a longer warranty if their stand is bought with their tank.

When you say tropical I assume you mean saltwater. Have you considered African cichlids? They are freshwater and therefore much easier to be successful with and much less maintenance, not to mention the cost is significantly cheaper. They are beautiful fish and quite fun to watch as many of them are pretty aggressive.

Here's a link that shows you some of the different types of African cichlids: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/african_cichlid_genus_gallery.php

Tropical usually means FRESHwater, so thats the assumption I'm going on.

BTW, I've done every kind of tank imaginable, from goldfish bowls to Saltwater and Reef, The best looking Tank I ever had was a 45gal. blacked out (gravel and all) A ton of plants, and 150 Cardinal Tetras. Beautiful!

Wow some great advice, thanks. The canister filter sounds like the filter I'll be looking for.... I am trying to keep the cost down so I am looking for a used tank. But I will keep in mind a new smaller tank. My space is kind of limited for a tank. It would be useless to get a big tank and crame it in..And I am going to do fresh water. I am in New Orleans. I used to know places to go but they are closed down now!!! There was a great place on Magazine named Martinis. It was like stepping back in time. There was stock on the shelves from the 50's and the prices matched the time period. I guess that is why they are closed...Also should I do sand or gravel? Under ground filter?

I would use rock type gravel, no filter underneath. Coral Connection by the airport has great deals on tanks, even used ones sometimes. Aquatic Specialties in Kenner off of Williams for the best livestock.

Yeah, get your FX5 from Ebay for under 200. I have a 125 and that's what I use along with two HOB (Hang on back) filter. My tank used to be amazing, but I have sinced moved and never set up my co2. Now my plants look horrible and algae is taking over. If you search aquarium, the thread should pop up.

Petsolutions.com usually has great prices on everything else.

I am looking around and see that the shapes of tanks have changed. That's good for me because the space that would be optimal for the tank is a little more then 3 feet wide. So I am thinking a smaller tank. Soundwave had me thinking about that one. Leastbay thanks for the location of stores, I will check them out and have been checking Ebay out also... All the advice I have received has been very usefull thanks!! A plan is in the works!

AsaPW great thread I read all the comments and gained alot of knowledge. Leastbay, awesome I think I can go that route, sounds perfect. I am going to take all of this one step at a time. I am in no rush. I am working 6 days a week until December. So I can plan but can't devote the time to shopping yet or the tank. All of this is getting me pumped!!

Wow some great advice, thanks. The canister filter sounds like the filter I'll be looking for.... I am trying to keep the cost down so I am looking for a used tank. But I will keep in mind a new smaller tank. My space is kind of limited for a tank. It would be useless to get a big tank and crame it in..And I am going to do fresh water. I am in New Orleans. I used to know places to go but they are closed down now!!! There was a great place on Magazine named Martinis. It was like stepping back in time. There was stock on the shelves from the 50's and the prices matched the time period. I guess that is why they are closed...Also should I do sand or gravel? Under ground filter?

Marineland makes a great economical canister filter. It is called a "Magnum 350", and you can get the whole set-up for it on eBay for less than $90. I have had one for 3 years and it has worked great!

As for substrate, I'd go with sand, but don't get the play sand from Home Depot or Lowes. Go to the local pool supply and ask for pool filter sand. The grain is larger so it sinks easily (not as likely to get caught in your filter) and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH cleaner. I think the sand looks much nicer than rocks, plus the detritus will sit on top and makes it much easier to clean. With rocks it gets in the cracks and on the bottom and is really hard to get it clean.

If you were interested in cichlids there is a great place in Texas that has an awesome selection, great prices, and beautiful fish. The shipping is only like $20-$30 right now b/c he can do 2 day air (I just got a shipment last month). This is the site: http://www.davesfish.com/

Check out 50 Fathoms on Veterans between the Veterans and Clearview exits for live fish. They get new stock in every week and they could probably order anything you want. They have the best stock of fresh water fish I've seen in the area. They especially have a nice stock of African and South American Chichlids. What kind of substrate you use depends on the kind of fish. For African Chichlids, I like sand, but that won't work for some fish. I'd also go with a cannister filter for anything over 55 gallons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom