Need some help from the tech heads in here (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a relatively inexpensive network storage system to rip my DVD to that can be accessed wirelessly through computers and TV in the home

Amazon cloud drive at about $7/month for 1TB plan
Typical 1080p movies are 4-8GBs.. but blu-ray will be about 30-50GB and 4k movie will be 100GB

Yeah I wasn't looking for a cloud solution

Install KODI on an old(er) desktop system. Rip yer DVDs, put the resultant video files (I prefer MP4 format for universal compatibility) in the right folder, point KODI to that folder for content, and let KODI serve the content to any device within WLAN network range. I use MediaHouse for my Android devices, and a set top NUC computer for my big screen. Fairly simple, and I'm very happy with it. FWIW...

If you have an older system to re-purpose as server, your hardware is free. KODI is free. And I rip DVDs with Handbrake, also free. It doesn't get much cheaper than that!

It probably depends on the device's that you plan to use to access the files.

I have a Western Digital NAS which works great as a dvr for my HDhomerun tuners. I also have a bunch of movies ripped to it. Unfortunately, I'm only able to access the movies on pc and my phone. My tv can't access the movies and neither can my Nvidia shield TV's.

It probably depends on the device's that you plan to use to access the files.

I have a Western Digital NAS which works great as a dvr for my HDhomerun tuners. I also have a bunch of movies ripped to it. Unfortunately, I'm only able to access the movies on pc and my phone. My tv can't access the movies and neither can my Nvidia shield TV's.

Does it not have some sort of DLNA plug in for your library? That's what lets all my devices see my NAS.

Does it not have some sort of DLNA plug in for your library? That's what lets all my devices see my NAS.
You inspired me to look. Their own software can't find it now, despite the fact that I'm using it to watch Sunday's game.

I'm going to go nuts trying to get this to work.

You inspired me to look. Their own software can't find it now, despite the fact that I'm using it to watch Sunday's game.

I'm going to go nuts trying to get this to work.

Do you know what model it is?

Not immediately
It's an older "MyCloud." My phone app is on OS3. This model doesn't have a transcoder and the newer models do. I think that I could use plex to access it on the nvidia shield.

Last edited:
This is odd. I just got it to mount on a shield but windows can't find it. If it ends here I'll take it but it's frustrating that I can never get everything working at once.

It's a very affordable NAS. Mine is old. I'm sure that the newer models are much better.

Ideally I would want to be able to rip it as an image and still be able to use menus and extra features. Also, able to process and play 4k

I mentioned a few weeks ago that my NAS took a crap on me, but it worked flawlessly for over 9 years and the drives are still intact, so I can't complain. The flash chip got fubar on the motherboard, and since they don't make the motherboard for my model any longer, I need to get a new one.

I had a 5-bay Synology NAS with 4 2TB drives (the 5th drive was a spare). Synology aren't the cheapest around, but I can say that it was a great investment. I'll get another one when I can, but I just don't feel like dropping that much coin right now.

If you have an older PC and a few drives, you could look into FreeNAS. A couple of the Linux guys I work with have experimented with it and seemed happy. I'm not very familiar with it so all I can do is point you in that direction.

Not immediately
It's an older "MyCloud." My phone app is on OS3. This model doesn't have a transcoder and the newer models do. I think that I could use plex to access it on the nvidia shield.
I was going to suggest Plex, I have been a long time user. Your TV is it not Smart App capable, because the Plex app should be available, but you already probably crossed that bridge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom