Need some help from the tech heads in here (1 Viewer)

I mentioned a few weeks ago that my NAS took a crap on me, but it worked flawlessly for over 9 years and the drives are still intact, so I can't complain. The flash chip got fubar on the motherboard, and since they don't make the motherboard for my model any longer, I need to get a new one.

I had a 5-bay Synology NAS with 4 2TB drives (the 5th drive was a spare). Synology aren't the cheapest around, but I can say that it was a great investment. I'll get another one when I can, but I just don't feel like dropping that much coin right now.
I set one up at the union hall last year. I think that it was the 918+. It seems like overkill for a media server but it would be very good. It was so easy to set up raid. I gave up having all of my discs on drives because I was constantly ripping discs to replace failed drives. The Synology would have been nice.

I was going to suggest Plex, I have been a long time user. Your TV is it not Smart App capable, because the Plex app should be available, but you already probably crossed that bridge.
I think that it's just the Western Digital software. A couple of months ago I couldn't access the MyCloud on anything but a pc or my phone. Tonight, I am able to access the MyCloud on my Nvidia Shields, my phone, my tv (via VLC), and via a browser on my pc. But, I can't use the Western Digital software to access the Western Digital MyCloud.

It's likely that nothing will work next week.

How many DVDs are we talking? I don't really do DVDs any more, but the ones I have are ripped onto a 1TB HD and I just run a PLEX server off of my main desktop for the (very) few times that I actually need to access it. If I'm watching something from PLEX, then I'm not using the PC, so I don't care much about the performance (though it's not much of a hit anyway).

The real fun is mapping my Google Drive as a drive for PLEX via Google Drive Sync. Then I can store my stuff in the cloud (unlimited storage on Google Drive) but watch it through PLEX. Best of both worlds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom