need some tech help with monitor..help! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
so I took my computer to the in-laws out of state this weekend to get some urgent work done for deadline Monday. Brought the CPU only and can't get the monitor to work. It is an old CRT, and it starts at first, you can see the boot up type screen, then right when it should go to the screen where it would show your choices of users, me, my wife, there is a black screen. The CPU looks to be humming like normal, but no screen image.

HELP! I guess I could by a monitor tomorrow, but was needing to do work till real late tonight. Any ideas out there at 10:15pm? thanks in advance.

My computer is vintage 2003, and the monitor is a bit older than that so I can't see why it would be a video card issue since I push a new flat screen LCD at home.

posting on the EE for more traffic, thanks...

nope, you'll need to boot into safe mode, it will force it to vga..
select a monitor setting that the monitor being used can use. probably 800x600 with 70 or less refresh would be safe..

this will probably be moved to the tech board...
also if you can't get past that point, how in the world did you post here?

if going to buy a monitor tomorrow.. um Wal-mart is 24x7 in most places.. and have monitors.

hooked back into my inlaws computer to make sure the monitor worked which i knew it would.

so when it has that initial screen go into safe mode and change to VGA, correct?

I can always change back right...

Rob's advice should do the trick. Yes it can be changed back.

actually, better idea.. look at your inlaws computer for the monitor settings.. and use the same thing.. yes as severum said, they can be changed back.

windows should detect the monitor once it's booted non-safe mode, and gets all the way in.
problem is, you're not getting all the way in with it as is.
If you can do it blind, using keyboard strokes.. this can work.. i've done it years ago that way.
I just don't do that sort of thing very often anymore.
The above post is a much more surefire way of working though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom