Needs--Speed, Beating Atlanta (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I concede that we have suffered more than our fair share of injuries--particularly at cornerback--and that Atlanta has stayed fairly healthy. Injuries matter in the NFL, except seemingly for New England, which continues to dominate regardless of who gets hurt.

But it seems in our two games with Atlanta this year that Atlanta overall looks faster. With its free agency signings paying off (Mack and Sanu), and with Jones and Freeman, it has a great offense. And am I the only one who thinks that Atlanta has put together a defense designed to defend our offense? (And draft position in certain years does matter. In 2015, Atlanta picked Beasley, and we picked Peat.)

Going forward, we have these needs:

On offense, we need a running back who is a real threat in the passing game. We need a Freeman, not an Ingram. This is a major need. And we need two offensive linemen.

On defense, we need speed in the front seven (contingent on the evaluation that our cornerbacks can return). We need somebody who can rush the quarterback, and we need speed at linebacker and coverage skills. The need for speed at linebacker is the reason that some of us have been pulling so hard for Anthony. But yesterday's game was an embarrassment, and we play Atlanta twice every year. We need a defense to beat Atlanta. I do not believe that Atlanta has a great defense. But it has a great offense, like it or not.

I disagree.

ON offense I think they need to focus more on getting another blocking TE as insurance for Hoomanuai who is often injured and another workhorse running back that can break tackles like Leonard Fornette or James Conner. A blocking TE like OJ Howard would be amazing.

On Defense they definitely need physical/faster press corners who can challenge ATL's wrs at the LOS that will allow more run-blitzes and spies for Freeman and Colman. Too often were they in zone today allowing ATL to do whatever they want with an easy release off of they line.

Corners need to be added and the ones they have need to get healthy.

Of course there is also the ever-present need to add a complimentary pass rusher to Cam Jordan.

How about a defensive strategy to stop the RB from catching a five yard pass over the line and running free for 40 yards. I think we need to fix the defensive strategy first.

How about a defensive strategy to stop the RB from catching a five yard pass over the line and running free for 40 yards. I think we need to fix the defensive strategy first.

Speed on defense can go a long way on fixing this. For years, I've been saying that what this defense lacks is overall team speed, but particularly on the edges and at the middle level which is where teams have exploited us for years.

Speed on defense can go a long way on fixing this. For years, I've been saying that what this defense lacks is overall team speed, but particularly on the edges and at the middle level which is where teams have exploited us for years.

Speed definitely was an issue on defense yesterday. I was at the game and there was nobody even close to catching Freeman when he had any kind of space.

I think some good adjustments were made to minimize his speed advantage after the 75 yd touchdown, but it was obvious that if he got a window he was gone.

There is no speed on the Dline. Really good players, Jordan, Rankins, Fairley, Davison, but no speed. The only LB speed is Anthony and he can't get or stay on the field. Speed in the secondary? Breaux is hurt, Williams is hurt, Vaccaro is suspended.

Yes, the Saint's defense lacks speed.

But, speed wouldn't have done anything in the first half of yesterday's game other than prolong the agony. The Falcons had keys on what the Saints were doing and Dennis Allen chose to stay in zone coverage for way, way too long (a common theme).

Add one true speed rusher, one true coverage LB, get Anthony coached up, and get both of your starting CB's healthy and you have a fast enough defense.

In today's Advocate, Nick Underhill has an article where Saints defensive players are quoted as saying that it seemed as though Atlanta knew exactly what we were going to do.

I am not suggesting a change at defensive coordinator, but I am not yet convinced that Dennis Allen is an above average coordinator.

Ellerbe is the only dude on DEF I noticed yesterday that had speed. He was chasing plays down all over the field. Coleman is a major mismatch for our DEF.

We definitely lack athleticism on defense . At times it looked like our defense was running in slow motion. We need athletes on defense we are way too slow in the front safety . Even our safeties are slow.

Speed definitely was an issue on defense yesterday. I was at the game and there was nobody even close to catching Freeman when he had any kind of space.

I think some good adjustments were made to minimize his speed advantage after the 75 yd touchdown, but it was obvious that if he got a window he was gone.

Judge your defense over 8 or 10 games, not 1 game vs. an offense that is simply the best in the NFL. Atlanta is an outlier. Atlanta faced six defenses ranked in the top 10 in defensive DVOA and did fine against all of them.

No defense can match the speed of Freeman, Coleman, Jones, Gabriel, Robinson, Hardy, etc. I think your better off going for power up front. Look at the teams that beat Atlanta. They bullied them at the LOS. If you can't get to Ryan, you will never cover whichever 5/6 skill players are on the field on any given play.

Build a top 10 defensive front seven. Speed is an important element in the front seven, but make sure they won't get pushed around imho.

Add to all that we don't have guys behind the Dline that like to tackle other than Ellerbe, which we all know doesn't like to play the first half of the year. I am finally pretty happy with our Offense, if Colby Fleener can improve the hands a bit over the winter. Now we can finally have an all Defensive draft, maybe grab an Olineman or two if we don't fix that in FA. I can't stand to watch this defense anymore. . . we need to improve somehow.

Why do we constantly have to adjust to the scheme we should have game planned for in the first place? Dennis Allen has not impressed me.

In today's Advocate, Nick Underhill has an article where Saints defensive players are quoted as saying that it seemed as though Atlanta knew exactly what we were going to do.

I am not suggesting a change at defensive coordinator, but I am not yet convinced that Dennis Allen is an above average coordinator.

Reminds me of a similar quote from the Rams, the year the Patriots beat the Greatest Show On Turf in the Superbowl.

Accusations of video taping the Rams walk through before the game. IIRC, video tapes were given to Goodell - who promptly destroyed them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom