Negativity on the Board (1 Viewer)

Nov23

Rookie
Reaction score
I love reading the thoughts / comments on this board after victories. But something I noticed was how negative this place can be even after wins. I'm completely open to criticism, and I'm actually pretty hard on our team. However there's a fine line between criticism and cynicism - and I think we should be more positive.

Take last nights win. Every single thread that has some positive points about our improving defense is automatically met with "49ers have the worst offense in the league and we still gave up nearly 400 yards!". Or if Ingram and Hightower are given credit for their impressive games it was met with "the Niners have a terrible defense!".

Both points might be true but there's no denying the improvement the Saints have shown in recent weeks. Yes, the 49ers have a terrible rush defense. Hightower put up 100+ yards on Seattle last week. Something that hadn't ve done against Seattle in a long time. Yes, the Niners did have an impressive first half (really just the second quarter) as far as yards go. But in CRITICAL moments our defense came through time and time again.

Yesterday was domination by the Saints. A few plays in the second quarter doesn't change that. Especially since we came right back and didn't let those big plays shake us.

This team hasn't given up a second half Touchdown in the last three games, two of those games being against legit playoff teams. This team scored on Seattle in SIX consecutive drives to end the game last week. This team is getting healthier on the defense every single week. This team has an ELITE offense.

Okay - I'm done :hihi:

There is nothing wrong with being critical at times. What do coaches and players always say after a win? They say things like "It was a good win but we have a lot of things that we need to clean up...". I'm happy about the win and we definitely dominated them, but there were some plays on special teams and in the secondary that were glaring and should be pointed out. Other than that, I only see this team getting better as the season progresses. I'm excited about things to come.

only thing worse than negativity is people crying about negativity.

I would say the only this worse is the no respect/no national coverage complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only thing worse than negativity is people crying about negativity.

Only thing worse than someone making a silly post complaining about a thread in which he wasn't forced to participate is when that poster describes a well thought out OP where the poster admits his own negativity at times and doesn't claim to be better than anyone else as "crying."

We could be the Falcons on their way to extending Dimitroff...now that deserves negativity. His drafting has been as terrible as ours and that team is being saved by Private Ryan

People over-react after a loss, going overboard saying that everyone sucks. But after a win people go overboard thinking that all the problems are solved. For example, you point out that Hightower had 100 yards rushing against Seahawks, but you can't ignore that their defense was fatigued from playing +80 snaps the previous week and were on shortened recovery time which contributed our success on the ground, and we still got stuffed repeatedly at the goal line trying to run the ball. You can say I'm being negative, but really its just facts that should not be ignored if you wan't to look at the whole picture objectively.

The team put up some big wins and there are bright spots for sure. There is also a hell of a lot to improve upon if they want to compete for a championship. It seems like you are being a little too sensitive about fans pointing out what needs to be improved.

I for one am glad we won and I do believe the defense is improving. I am glad they ran the ball more and hope the running game stays effective so that they can continue running the ball more. This helps the D with giving them rest.
4 wins out of the last 5 games and the 1 they lost was very close. I hopefull.

I love reading the thoughts / comments on this board after victories. But something I noticed was how negative this place can be even after wins. I'm completely open to criticism, and I'm actually pretty hard on our team. However there's a fine line between criticism and cynicism - and I think we should be more positive.

Take last nights win. Every single thread that has some positive points about our improving defense is automatically met with "49ers have the worst offense in the league and we still gave up nearly 400 yards!". Or if Ingram and Hightower are given credit for their impressive games it was met with "the Niners have a terrible defense!".

Both points might be true but there's no denying the improvement the Saints have shown in recent weeks. Yes, the 49ers have a terrible rush defense. Hightower put up 100+ yards on Seattle last week. Something that hadn't ve done against Seattle in a long time. Yes, the Niners did have an impressive first half (really just the second quarter) as far as yards go. But in CRITICAL moments our defense came through time and time again.

Yesterday was domination by the Saints. A few plays in the second quarter doesn't change that. Especially since we came right back and didn't let those big plays shake us.

This team hasn't given up a second half Touchdown in the last three games, two of those games being against legit playoff teams. This team scored on Seattle in SIX consecutive drives to end the game last week. This team is getting healthier on the defense every single week. This team has an ELITE offense.

Okay - I'm done :hihi:

You think this is brutal?

dont even venture over to Gameday board.

People over-react after a loss, going overboard saying that everyone sucks. But after a win people go overboard thinking that all the problems are solved. For example, you point out that Hightower had 100 yards rushing against Seahawks, but you can't ignore that their defense was fatigued from playing +80 snaps the previous week and were on shortened recovery time which contributed our success on the ground, and we still got stuffed repeatedly at the goal line trying to run the ball. You can say I'm being negative, but really its just facts that should not be ignored if you wan't to look at the whole picture objectively.

Yeah, but if you're looking at the whole picture objectively, you also might say that we played good enough to win against both the Raiders and Giants except for two awful PI calls, and you might also say this team would have a much better record if not for a huge amount of injuries on defense.

Situations change from week to week. Teams win games they shouldn't win, and lose games they shouldn't lose. If the universe decides to hand us a win on iffy officiating, or if we win because the other team is just really really bad at defending the run, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Because there have been too many times they played well enough to win but lost instead for whatever dumb reason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom