Negro League (1 Viewer)

StChadwick

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Playing for more than 30 teams, Radcliffe had more than 4,000 hits and 400 home runs, [as a pitcher] won about 500 games and had 4,000 strike-outs. He played as a pitcher and a catcher, became a manager, and in his old age became a popular ambassador for the game...he would sometimes claim to be the greatest baseball player of all time. Despite this claim, he is not a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Duty_Radcliffe

I know some of the talent they played were sometimes not always pro level, but the same could be said for every negro league player. How can this guy be overlooked for the HOF?

Agreed, but it says something when he's in the conversation with both those players. Besides, I'm not saying he's better, only that he deserves the HOF.

Even they cant decide the best players, Paige said that Jackie Robinson was the best colored player he ever saw and Josh Gibson thought Jud Wilson was a better hitter than he was? I think George ‘Mule’ Suttles could hit it farther than any of them though.

Last edited:
He was the catcher for Paige for much of his career. He wasn't, though a big fan of "Double Duty" Radcliffe's

But wasnt Radcliffe a catcher for Paige too? Maybe thats where some of his animosity against him came from? I'll check it out. I just figured there must be a reason a guy with those stats isnt in the HOF yet? Maybe there's just not enough official stats on him as one place shows only 8 seasons with stats.

What reasons did he give for disliking him? Wasnt a good player or was he just a shady character? Had plenty of those in all of baseball back then.

Last edited:
In reading Robinson's book the animosity stems from Radcliffe throwing cut balls when he pitched. He also makes it clear that he felt he was of questionable character and not a gentleman. Some of that is opinion but illustrates how the book delves into issues, players and events nearly forgotten.

As far as the numbers, many Negro League players have incomplete, inaccurate stats because they weren't routinely kept. Many of his wins and hits likely came as part of a barnstorming team who'd play semi-pro teams one night and a small town factory team the next morning. But, why not him? Publicity, I guess.

In reading Robinson's book the animosity stems from Radcliffe throwing cut balls when he pitched.

Then he wouldn't have like Whitey Ford either.

I have a question about the Negro Leagues that doesn't really warrant it's own thread so I hope you don't mind if I just ask it here. Is it ever ok for a white guy to wear Negro Leagues paraphenalia? Like say, if I was born and raised in Kansas City could I rock a Monarchs jersey or is it just not acceptable. Always been curious about this. Anyway, thank you for your time.

yeah good question. I think it would depend on where you are wearing it. I wouldnt wear it in a predominantly black neighborhood. It shouldnt matter but I would stand out in such places and would avoid confrontation, my skin may already do that for me however :ezbill:

Its not just the negro league jerseys but any of the old ones I have always liked. Just something about them. As for the negro leagues, much of the hype has to do with the tall-tales that comes with a league that has little stats to back up stories that are told. Not that pro baseball doesnt have its own. Like I dont know if I believe Mickey Mantle could hit a ball 565ft like is often said about him in a game? I remember seeing McGwire hit a ball off of Randy Johnson 540 and he said he couldnt hit it any further. The fact that he was juicing and in seeing clips from games from the 50 and 60's,it doesnt look like any could touch that, especially of a smaller height and weight? How much more will be said about the negro leagues and their stories though? Not that I dont believe Mule Suttles couldnt hit like that, 6'6 and 250 pounds he was much bigger than Josh Gibson who was only 6'1" 210lbs. That he used a size 50 bat shows how strong he had to be when he got a hold of one? Not to take anything away from the talent they possessed. Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays were definitely the better all around players to ever play. That and wasnt Babe Ruth part black as well?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom