Neighbor's German Shepherd...... (1 Viewer)

My buddy asked me to walk his German Shepard while he was away on business.

I typically walked the dog in the morning before work, but one morning I was running late and had to go during lunch.

when I got there at lunch, he wasn’t in his normal spot.

i walked to the backyard and saw him by the pool. And my buddy’s mom was there. I guess she came by to feed him or check on him.

but I saw this dog humping her leg and so do I tell my buddy about his dog or nah?
Does your wife know anything about the history of that family (are they animal lovers)?

I don't know that I've ever quoted myself, but I do find it funny that there are half a dozen face palms here and not a single comment that explains why someone might think a person ought to endure being attacked by a dog than protect himself.

Are you just dog lovers who don't realize that a bad dog can kill you? Have you ever been attacked?

I mean I ask because this is a site where I would assume most people are armed and ready to protect themselves in their homes.

Speak up. Does a person riding a bicycle at night not have the right to be safe? If a person came screaming at you and wielding a knife I suspect you'd be all for self defense. Are dogs immune?
I think your assumption would make an interesting pole - I certainly don’t have a gun in the house and probably wouldn’t want my kids to play in a house that had guns

to your earlier post, do you feel qualified to distinguish between a dog saying “stay away” or “you look delicious”?
i just have a hard time imagining that dog attacks are so numerous that militarizing you bike is the best solution

My buddy asked me to walk his German Shepard while he was away on business.

I typically walked the dog in the morning before work, but one morning I was running late and had to go during lunch.

when I got there at lunch, he wasn’t in his normal spot.

i walked to the backyard and saw him by the pool. And my buddy’s mom was there. I guess she came by to feed him or check on him.

but I saw this dog humping her leg and so do I tell my buddy about his dog or nah?

Instructional video or it never happened?

I think your assumption would make an interesting pole - I certainly don’t have a gun in the house and probably wouldn’t want my kids to play in a house that had guns

to your earlier post, do you feel qualified to distinguish between a dog saying “stay away” or “you look delicious”?
i just have a hard time imagining that dog attacks are so numerous that militarizing you bike is the best solution

Well, I'm not a dog-hating psychopath, but I have been chased and attacked by a dog while riding my bike. And, since I moved to the new house I've been chased a couple times. Of course, those times were just a dog barking and acting tough when startled.

So, let's just state for the record that i have no desire to shoot a dog while biking, but I have less desire to be attacked so as in any self defense scenario, I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt and wait until danger is truly imminent before doing anything about it.

And back to my question. Why are people who would presumably be all for self protection, gun rights and the like be so up in arms about a person who would not suffer another dog attack?

If a person emerged from the darkness and was chasing someone down the street at midnight with a baseball bat, I'm assuming they'd be willing to protect themselves. Why not if it's a dog?

I don't know that I've ever quoted myself, but I do find it funny that there are half a dozen face palms here and not a single comment that explains why someone might think a person ought to endure being attacked by a dog than protect himself.

Are you just dog lovers who don't realize that a bad dog can kill you? Have you ever been attacked?

I mean I ask because this is a site where I would assume most people are armed and ready to protect themselves in their homes.

Speak up. Does a person riding a bicycle at night not have the right to be safe? If a person came screaming at you and wielding a knife I suspect you'd be all for self defense. Are dogs immune?

I think the way you said it rubbed people the wrong way. You could have just said you keep your gun with you when you bike and and one of the reasons is to protect yourself against animal attack including dogs. The line about if a dog comes after you its going to go away leaking, can come off as "internet tough guy" and people may have the idea that you won't use a lot of discretion in firearm use.

Animal control put an notice on my door to keep my dog contained, or I will be fined. I sent them an e-mail explaining that they have the wrong address. I'm really starting to lose confidence in people, next time I will just pray about it, since my faith in people is at a all time low.

I don't even own any pets. If you own dogs that are known to raise home owners insurance, could you please keep them on a leash, or in fenced area? That's all I ask. Won't you be my neighbor?

1597012472410.png

"According to HomeInsurance.org, “Dog breeds that are typically associated with higher insurance premiums include Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Akitas, and wolf-dog hybrids.” Forbes.com adds Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, and Alaskan Malamutes to their list."

Last edited:

I love these outrage posts. You got 4 facepalms (one from me), 4 dead falcons, 1 Goodell clown, and 1 like. That's a 9:1 ratio of negative feedback. When you see that kind of consensus in the feedback I would think it would make you question what you posted and not question why everybody thought your post was lacking. I was chased by dogs when on a bike many times in my youth, but I never thought of killing them. Yelling loudly did the trick. Enjoy your night rides. Maybe you'll get to shoot a dog if you're lucky.

Last edited:
Years ago when I did in home security system sales, I was attacked by two German shepherds

I kicked one of them connecting under his muzzle and while my foot was out, the other latched onto my ankle and I went down.

Let me tell yall I was scared shirtless

At that moment this old black guy came charging out his house with a broom and went to town like a samurai warrior and ran them off

Likely saved my life

Ya know, BC. I would pay good money to watch you field-test that method of yours. I would record it and send it into America's Funniest Home Videos. I'd have the Bennie Hill chase music playing in the background. :D

PS: Be sure to remove your mask first or the attempt at the bite may not be very effective.
As a follow-up to my previous post @bclemms is the little dog in this video if he tries what he said was a good way to keep away biting dogs. :D

Or maybe he's this guy chasing the German Shepard with his arms out. :D

Last edited:
So, neighbor's dog was unleashed and charged me while I was riding my bike. Had to scream at it, to get it to back off. Called the police, but they told me to call animal control. Animal Control will investigate.

If the neighbor would of came out and apologized, that would of probably made it good, but nothing. If it was a Golden Retriever or lab it would of been different, because those are friendly. German Shepherds, Rots, Pitts, and Doberman Pinchers are man eaters.

What would you of done? What do you think?
1596840284828.png
Don't blame the breed, blame the owner.

Don't blame the breed, blame the owner.
I dont think he was. But the same crappy owner, the breed of the dog will often dictate the level of potential damage, all other things being equal.

A bite from a chihuahua hurts, but a shepard or malinois going for your leg or neck is a lot worse.

Like any situation, you have to be able to size up the potential threat.

If you ever find yourself in the situation where a dog is charging you the best thing you can do is stand straight up with your arms out then run at the dog while growling and bite him on the nuts.

I tried this yesterday.

I'll never listen to anyone on the Internet again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom