Neighbor's German Shepherd...... (1 Viewer)

Well, I'm not a dog-hating psychopath, but I have been chased and attacked by a dog while riding my bike. And, since I moved to the new house I've been chased a couple times. Of course, those times were just a dog barking and acting tough when startled.

So, let's just state for the record that i have no desire to shoot a dog while biking, but I have less desire to be attacked so as in any self defense scenario, I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt and wait until danger is truly imminent before doing anything about it.

And back to my question. Why are people who would presumably be all for self protection, gun rights and the like be so up in arms about a person who would not suffer another dog attack?

If a person emerged from the darkness and was chasing someone down the street at midnight with a baseball bat, I'm assuming they'd be willing to protect themselves. Why not if it's a dog?

I think your post came off a little careless, but we live in a society where people care more about dogs, than humans..........

True Story: I was at a Bible Study and one lady said, I feel so sorry for the dog that the homeless person was with. She was implying that dog was being neglected, since the homeless person doesn't really have the means to properly take care of a pet.

What I found disturbing was, what about the homeless person? Don't people care more about the homeless person, than the pet he/she owns? I have read stories where police will take away pets from homeless people, so the dog can get a proper home. I'm sorry, I think the world has lost it's mind sometimes. They will take the dog, so he can get a nice home, and leave the man in the gutter.

Another Bible study (totally different group) I brought up that I don't agree with people being euthanized. The wife of the man who was teaching the Bible study asked me, don't you want people to be treated as good as a dog. I said, I want people to be treated better than animals.

I asked, is this what the church teaches? The teacher said, no. He later said, maybe one day I will agree with you, but not now. He later went on and said, his son euthanizes people for a living, because he is a doctor. Does anyone else see a contradiction?

Society is all about the dollars and feeling self righteous, but I digress. Is it possible that we could be wrong and need to change course?

Sorry for blabbering on, but it's the world we live in. I might carry a small pocket knife when riding my bike to the store, even though I don't want to harm anybody or anything really. At this point it's for self defense against dogs who run wild on the streets.

My neighborhood isn't known for being the safest in the area, maybe it's time to move?!?!

I think your post came off a little careless, but we live in a society where people care more about dogs, than humans..........

True Story: I was at a Bible Study and one lady said, I feel so sorry for the dog that the homeless person was with. She was implying that dog was being neglected, since the homeless person doesn't really have the means to properly take care of a pet.

What I found disturbing was, what about the homeless person? Don't people care more about the homeless person, than the pet he/she owns? I have read stories where police will take away pets from homeless people, so the dog can get a proper home. I'm sorry, I think the world has lost it's mind sometimes. They will take the dog, so he can get a nice home, and leave the man in the gutter.

Another Bible study (totally different group) I brought up that I don't agree with people being euthanized. The wife of the man who was teaching the Bible study asked me, don't you want people to be treated as good as a dog. I said, I want people to be treated better than animals.

I asked, is this what the church teaches? The teacher said, no. He later said, maybe one day I will agree with you, but not now. He later went on and said, his son euthanizes people for a living, because he is a doctor. Does anyone else see a contradiction?

Society is all about the dollars and feeling self righteous, but I digress. Is it possible that we could be wrong and need to change course?

Sorry for blabbering on, but it's the world we live in. I might carry a small pocket knife when riding my bike to the store, even though I don't want to harm anybody or anything really. At this point it's for self defense against dogs who run wild on the streets.

My neighborhood isn't known for being the safest in the area, maybe it's time to move?!?!
I think a lot of this is the feeling that it's the homeless person's fault that they are in that situation. That's why they have empathy for a poor innocent dog and not the person who they see as a bum who wasted his life on booze and drugs.

Evidently, it did. "leaking" probably wasn't the best term. I could have made my point a little better, but I have been bitten and I'm not going to allow it to happen again. I'm far too old to try to outrun it.

pep-per spray... pep-per spray... pep-per spray

compact, non-lethal, and deters all but the most determined

So, neighbor's dog was unleashed and charged me while I was riding my bike. Had to scream at it, to get it to back off. Called the police, but they told me to call animal control. Animal Control will investigate.

If the neighbor would of came out and apologized, that would of probably made it good, but nothing. If it was a Golden Retriever or lab it would of been different, because those are friendly. German Shepherds, Rots, Pitts, and Doberman Pinchers are man eaters.

What would you of done? What do you think?

1596840284828.png
I think I wouldn’t OF done anything but I would HAVE done something.

I think a lot of this is the feeling that it's the homeless person's fault that they are in that situation. That's why they have empathy for a poor innocent dog and not the person who they see as a bum who wasted his life on booze and drugs.

While there's some truth to this, people's lack of empathy is terrible in many cases. Particularly for the homeless. A lot of homeless people have ended up homeless because they've lost their families, jobs, suffer mental illness as much if not more that just being lazy or not caring. I think if more people would actually do a little legwork, they would find that many are homeless through no real fault of their own.

There are some who are homeless by choice, but they're actually pretty rare among the homeless population. Most either actually have nowhere to go, or are mentally incapable of making the decisions necessary to get out of their situation. This is just my anecdotal discussions with a number of homeless people over the years in DC.

While there's some truth to this, people's lack of empathy is terrible in many cases. Particularly for the homeless. A lot of homeless people have ended up homeless because they've lost their families, jobs, suffer mental illness as much if not more that just being lazy or not caring. I think if more people would actually do a little legwork, they would find that many are homeless through no real fault of their own.

There are some who are homeless by choice, but they're actually pretty rare among the homeless population. Most either actually have nowhere to go, or are mentally incapable of making the decisions necessary to get out of their situation. This is just my anecdotal discussions with a number of homeless people over the years in DC.
How do you know how many if your discussions are anecdotal with those just in DC?

How do you know how many if your discussions are anecdotal with those just in DC?

I've talked with enough homeless in DC to get an idea of how and why they're in the situations they're in. If other cities are anything like DC, the the trends among the homeless populations should be somewhat similar. I've talked with homeless people in LA, Chicago, NY, New Orleans and Lafayette. I might be missing a few other places where I've actually met homeless people. Not claiming to be an expert nor did I formally interview them, but I try to make it a point to have a conversation with a homeless person when I come across one.

I get a lot of similar stories even though they're all from different parts of the country. But DC is where I've lived for 20+ years and where I have the most experience talking with the homeless.

I've talked with enough homeless in DC to get an idea of how and why they're in the situations they're in. If other cities are anything like DC, the the trends among the homeless populations should be somewhat similar. I've talked with homeless people in LA, Chicago, NY, New Orleans and Lafayette. I might be missing a few other places where I've actually met homeless people. Not claiming to be an expert nor did I formally interview them, but I try to make it a point to have a conversation with a homeless person when I come across one.

I get a lot of similar stories even though they're all from different parts of the country. But DC is where I've lived for 20+ years and where I have the most experience talking with the homeless.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I dont think he was. But the same crappy owner, the breed of the dog will often dictate the level of potential damage, all other things being equal.

A bite from a chihuahua hurts, but a shepard or malinois going for your leg or neck is a lot worse.

Like any situation, you have to be able to size up the potential threat.

I've always been skeptical of that blame the owner mantra because I'm sure at some point all types of dogs have had bad owners. But I tend to hear it used as a defense with Pit Bulls the most.

I don't know that Dalmatians or Collies or Poodles with bad owners attack (and kill) people as often as Pit Bulls.

I don't know that any other breed comes close. So it's likely something more than a "bad owner" contributing to their behavior.

I've always been skeptical of that blame the owner mantra because I'm sure at some point all types of dogs have had bad owners. But I tend to hear it used as a defense with Pit Bulls the most.

I don't know that Dalmatians or Collies or Poodles with bad owners attack (and kill) people as often as Pit Bulls.

I don't know that any other breed comes close. So it's likely something more than a "bad owner" contributing to their behavior.

I can tell you that Dalmations and Poodles have reputations as dogs that bite. But you are right that Pit Bulls probably have more of a rep for it. Of course, it could be simply that the type of person that wants a pit bull or who owns a pit bull is likely to teach them to be aggressive so that is what makes them dangerous.

Of course, some of it could be that certain breeds are bred for aggression and that doesn't help. So, I think it's probably a combination of breeding and the type of people who often own pit bulls. And, of course, the fact that certain dogs can do a lot more damage than other dogs. Pit Bulls having really strong jaws being one of them.

But, I can tell you that if my 8 pound Dachshund, is possibly the most aggressive dog I have ever seen. Much more aggressive than my 75 pound Old English Bulldog. It's just that she is so small that she isn't going to hurt anyone or anything and nobody would be intimidated if she charged them. She has never bitten anyone, but you can tell that she really wants to. But, that's because she was bred to be a hunting dog.

Then you have some, like a couple of locals we have, that pretend to be homeless just to get handouts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom