Neighbor's German Shepherd...... (1 Viewer)

Then you have some, like a couple of locals we have, that pretend to be homeless just to get handouts.

There could be those, and I'm sure they're a percentage, but of all of the homeless people I've met, I've never come across any that are homeless just for handouts.

In fact, if you're homeless solely for handouts, you're doing it wrong. Personal experience. :9:

Of course, some do pretend so they can get said handouts, but usually that's from underreporting income. Which is fraud. There really aren't that many of those out there though.

There could be those, and I'm sure they're a percentage, but of all of the homeless people I've met, I've never come across any that are homeless just for handouts.

In fact, if you're homeless solely for handouts, you're doing it wrong. Personal experience. :9:

Of course, some do pretend so they can get said handouts, but usually that's from underreporting income. Which is fraud. There really aren't that many of those out there though.
There's a house in my neighborhood that has several folks living in it who ride bikes to the Walmart up the street and the corners near the highway and panhandle. There's also a bunch that live in a house in a neighboring town where I work. Apparently one of them has a van and he drops them all off at various spots and then picks them up later that day. I don't know if it's some sort of deal they've worked out together, but it's definitely scamming the system.

There's a house in my neighborhood that has several folks living in it who ride bikes to the Walmart up the street and the corners near the highway and panhandle. There's also a bunch that live in a house in a neighboring town where I work. Apparently one of them has a van and he drops them all off at various spots and then picks them up later that day. I don't know if it's some sort of deal they've worked out together, but it's definitely scamming the system.

That's pretty common here. It's like a little union/coop. One guy drives and the rest of the rotate places to hang and panhandle. There is one that's well known around here and the "homeless" folks actually live in a better neighborhood and have cars.

They're clearly not homeless and the hours they spend panhandling are their jobs. They're most definitely not starving, but it's sad to see them milking people's charitable instincts .

I can tell you that Dalmations and Poodles have reputations as dogs that bite. But you are right that Pit Bulls probably have more of a rep for it. Of course, it could be simply that the type of person that wants a pit bull or who owns a pit bull is likely to teach them to be aggressive so that is what makes them dangerous.

Of course, some of it could be that certain breeds are bred for aggression and that doesn't help. So, I think it's probably a combination of breeding and the type of people who often own pit bulls. And, of course, the fact that certain dogs can do a lot more damage than other dogs. Pit Bulls having really strong jaws being one of them.

But, I can tell you that if my 8 pound Dachshund, is possibly the most aggressive dog I have ever seen. Much more aggressive than my 75 pound Old English Bulldog. It's just that she is so small that she isn't going to hurt anyone or anything and nobody would be intimidated if she charged them. She has never bitten anyone, but you can tell that she really wants to. But, that's because she was bred to be a hunting dog.

75lbs? That's rare air for a bulldog.

So, neighbor's dog was unleashed and charged me while I was riding my bike. Had to scream at it, to get it to back off. Called the police, but they told me to call animal control. Animal Control will investigate.

If the neighbor would of came out and apologized, that would of probably made it good, but nothing. If it was a Golden Retriever or lab it would of been different, because those are friendly. German Shepherds, Rots, Pitts, and Doberman Pinchers are man eaters.

What would you of done? What do you think?

1596840284828.png
In Louisiana, it is the law to report all dog attacks regardless if it was an attack against a person, or against an animal. You as the person having been attacked, or your dog...etc., are held accountable to contact your parish animal control. Even if you were not bitten, it is still an encounter that needs to be documented and investigated by animal control. They will come out and do a thorough investigation of the physical property where the dog lives, talk to the owners and write a report. If they determine the owner is irresponsible, or derelict in their responsibilities as a pet owner, they will remove the dog from the owner and will fine the owner. Typically, depending on the severity of the event, they will write a citation and warn the owner.

How do I know this? It happened to my son while he was walking his dog and his dog was attacked by a neighbor’s dog that was unleashed and sitting on the lawn of the neighbor ACROSS the street! The pitbull charged across the street and attacked his Cane Corso; about 160 pounds of beast! He was caught by surprise but was so big, the pit could not handle him. He was lucky. But he had to call animal control and they came out and did their investigation. They wrote a citation, took pictures, wrote up a report and warned the owner, If there is a next time, they will take the dog.

You have to report your event, or you will be breaking the law.

My neighbor's dogs (a Rottweiler and a Pomeranian) get into my yard at times and will charge me the minute I step outside.

I stomp my foot or use that long range wasp spray on the little one and I heave spare bricks at the big one. Maybe if they return home injured, their owner will keep them out of my yard.

Sometimes I have to carry pepper spray (not that it'll do any good) when taking out the trash if the people across the street have their garage up because I'm not taking any chances with their ugly pitt. I've seen them try and get it to release another dog and they were useless.

I feel about other people's dogs the same way I feel about other people's kids.
Do you live in Louisiana? You need to report your neighbors! It is the law, if their dogs are perceived to be attacking, even though they may not actually physically come into contact with you. And if the owners do not have the proper means to contain their dogs, they are not worthy dog owners and the dogs should be taken from them. It is not the dog’s fault.

Shepherds and Rottis are both herding breeds -herding breeds are typically great with people
Neither breed is aggressive by nature (really no breed is) - but they do take commands very well which is why they are used for protection
Sounds like you encountered a poorly trained (or abused) dog- probably doesn’t have anything to do with the breed
It is not PROBABLY, it is DEFINITELY to do with the owners; 100% to do with the irresponsible owners!!!

You have to report your event, or you will be breaking the law.

I was thinking about this, and what if you didn't report it, is there a fine or something?

If there is a fine and you refused to pay it, you could have a warranty out for your arrest.
If you refuse to be arrested and resist when they come to arrest you, it is possible that they could use a police dog in apprehending you where you could be bit.

So by refusing to report that a dog came after you and did not bite you, you may end up being bit by a dog and the government would be just fine with it.

I can tell you that Dalmations and Poodles have reputations as dogs that bite. But you are right that Pit Bulls probably have more of a rep for it. Of course, it could be simply that the type of person that wants a pit bull or who owns a pit bull is likely to teach them to be aggressive so that is what makes them dangerous.

Of course, some of it could be that certain breeds are bred for aggression and that doesn't help. So, I think it's probably a combination of breeding and the type of people who often own pit bulls. And, of course, the fact that certain dogs can do a lot more damage than other dogs. Pit Bulls having really strong jaws being one of them.

But, I can tell you that if my 8 pound Dachshund, is possibly the most aggressive dog I have ever seen. Much more aggressive than my 75 pound Old English Bulldog. It's just that she is so small that she isn't going to hurt anyone or anything and nobody would be intimidated if she charged them. She has never bitten anyone, but you can tell that she really wants to. But, that's because she was bred to be a hunting dog.

A properly trained poodle is one of the best bird hunting dogs. Someone decided to start giving them silly haircuts.
Dachshunds were originally bred to burrow into badger holes and fight them to the death. Your dog still has that trait.

A properly trained poodle is one of the best bird hunting dogs. Someone decided to start giving them silly haircuts.
Dachshunds were originally bred to burrow into badger holes and fight them to the death. Your dog still has that trait.

Spot on, Dachshunds can be absolute savages....and most people have no idea poodles were originally bred as bird dogs....

Spot on, Dachshunds can be absolute savages....and most people have no idea poodles were originally bred as bird dogs....
I can't find the article now, but I remember reading this a few years ago. A Dachsund dug a hole 20 foot deep and killed a mole
that was damaging his owners yard. They are definitely fearless little creatures

75lbs? That's rare air for a bulldog.

I rescued her but it's my understanding that she is half Old English Bulldog and half English Bulldog. She is a very big girl and not fat at all. The Old English in her makes her taller than your average Bulldog. My brother has a purebred English Bulldog that is about 3/4 of her size.

There is actually a male bulldog down the street that is bigger than her. But his name is Chubbs and his name fits.

Last edited:

Yep. Standard poodles are actually French Hunting dogs used for bird hunting so they are pretty energetic and aggressive.

And yeah, Dachshund literally translates to "Badger Hound" in German. They were bred to go in holes and kill badgers which is why they are long with short legs. She definitely has it in her despite being 7 lbs. She is obsessed with playing fetch and shakes every toy as soon as she picks it up like she is trying to kills it by shaking it to break its neck.

I rescued her but it's my understanding that she is half Old English Bulldog and half English Bulldog. She is a very big girl and not fat at all. The Old English in her makes her taller than your average Bulldog. My brother has a purebred English Bulldog that is about 3/4 of her size.

I gotcha. I bet she's beautiful.

Yeah, mine is a total little savage. She will charge anything like she is going to kill it. She nips at the bulldog all the time. Luckily the Bulldog just doesn't care.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom