NES mini coming (retro gamers) (1 Viewer)

I have an SNES and Genesis emulator on my laptop. Haven't used it in a long time though.

They are gonna sell this thing for $60 when a used laptop and some $10 usb controllers can do the same thing.

They are gonna sell this thing for $60 when a used laptop and some $10 usb controllers can do the same thing.
1. 90% of people don't know how to do this nor do they care to learn how.

2. It's technically illegal.

I'm not knocking it really. But there are a lot of reasons this re-release is a better solution. It's odd that you seem to be championing emulators as if to dissuade people from being excited by an official re-release of the NES, which is pretty freaking awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nintendo is really good at selling overpriced paperweights

I'm not knocking it really. But there are a lot of reasons this re-release is a better solution. It's odd that you seem to be championing emulators as if to dissuade people from being excited by an official re-release of the NES, which is pretty freaking awesome.

Updated rosters on Tecmo Bowl are also awesome and technically illegal but have kept interest in that game for much longer than if there were no emulators.

emulators are a pain in the butt and IMO you simply dont get the original game play feel no matter how much you tweek them.
But you won't get original game feel on HDMI to digital TV either because original game feel is based on CRT TVs (Display Lag)

emulators are a pain in the butt and IMO you simply dont get the original game play feel no matter how much you tweek them.

I've never really had an issue with emulators. I played a lot of RBI baseball through school. Also, the ability to freeze your progress is pretty great making those tough games not as miserable. However, there is something about having the system and I think this is a great idea by Nintendo. Plus, it's only $60

Even though i still have my old SNES, i wish they would do one for that w/wireless controllers. I still consider A Link to the Past one of my all time favorite games.

Well, I was honestly wondering if there was an upside to using this over a emulator. I'm probably like 90% of the board. I have a pc with a emulator installed, but I never play it.

I've never really had an issue with emulators. I played a lot of RBI baseball through school. Also, the ability to freeze your progress is pretty great making those tough games not as miserable. However, there is something about having the system and I think this is a great idea by Nintendo. Plus, it's only $60

Even though i still have my old SNES, i wish they would do one for that w/wireless controllers. I still consider A Link to the Past one of my all time favorite games.

if you have the cartridges, you can always get something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-SUPABOY-Portable-Console-Super-NES/dp/B005GSRPG8

41fLO67Ej8L.jpg

Well, I was honestly wondering if there was an upside to using this over a emulator. I'm probably like 90% of the board. I have a pc with a emulator installed, but I never play it.
That probably remains to be seen. I like the idea of an actual Nintendo controller plugged in. I have played with an Xbox controller but the dpad is sort of terrible. I've tried to hook up Wii controllers but have not been successful.

One advantage of the emulator is that you can upscale to make the games look reasonably decent on an HD screen. The original Wii and all the virtual console games look terrible on HD screens.

I'm hoping this new device fixes that issue by up scaling to a matching resolution. If it does, I'll buy it despite owning a few of the games on virtual console.

But all of that, I think, is largely irrelevant to the majority of consumers. My wife loves Nintendo but would have no desire to sift through the process of an emulator, including setting up controllers and acquiring roms. Playing Mario 3 is a luxury of nostalgia and is simply not worth the time.

If you know what an emulator is and how to use it, it may not be worth buying this system. But for all the people out there who have trouble getting their printer to work, much less finding a source for a rom, this will be a better option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I've never really had an issue with emulators. I played a lot of RBI baseball through school. Also, the ability to freeze your progress is pretty great making those tough games not as miserable. However, there is something about having the system and I think this is a great idea by Nintendo.

I believe the games on the NES Mini will have save capabilities, much like the Virtual Console releases on Wii U.

That probably remains to be seen. I like the idea of an actual Nintendo controller plugged in. I have played with an Xbox controller but the dpad is sort of terrible. I've tried to hook up Wii controllers but have not been successful.

One advantage of the emulator is that you can upscale to make the games look reasonably decent on an HD screen. The original Wii and all the virtual console games look terrible on HD screens.

I'm hoping this new device fixes that issue by up scaling to a matching resolution. If it does, I'll buy it despite owning a few of the games on virtual console.

But all of that, I think, is largely irrelevant to the majority of consumers. My wife loves Nintendo but would have no desire to sift through the process of an emulator, including setting up controllers and acquiring roms. Playing Mario 3 is a luxury of nostalgia and is simply not worth the time.

If you know what an emulator is and how to use it, it may not be worth buying this system. But for all the people out there who have trouble getting their printer to work, much less finding a source for a rom, this will be a better option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

There are usb adapters for original controllers as well as usb clones. Personally I feel you get the same play out of them (as long as it is not a crappy clone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom