Netflix Dark Crystal (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the new Dark Crystal series

Last edited:
Yes! What a wonderful job of world-building and storytelling. It's a mite too intense for younger kids, I think, but great for most of the family.

Damn

I'm halfway through the series and I'm really enjoying it.

Very well done, excellent puppetry and world building

Maybe Disney+ will pick it up? They own all of Jim Henson stuff anyway right?
===========================================

The story of Thra on Netflix is over. io9 has exclusively confirmed the streaming service has chosen not to renew The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, meaning the series has come to an end after only one season.

Over a year after the series first debuted on the streaming service, the Jim Henson Company CEO and executive producer Lisa Henson and Netflix shared with io9 that there will not be another season of Age of Resistance, the groundbreaking series based on Jim Henson’s fantasy film. In a statement, Henson thanked fans for their support and said they’re looking for other ways to continue the story................

so, with it being cancelled, should i watch it or am i gonna be disappointed with the way the season ends since there is no season 2?

so, with it being cancelled, should i watch it or am i gonna be disappointed with the way the season ends since there is no season 2?
Definitely worth watching

Great show and awesome puppetry

Not for small children

I think HBO should pick it up, they already have the movie on HBOMAX.

If you never had the chance to watch Jim Henson and Frank Oz’s The Dark Crystal, the first thing you’ll probably notice is how good the movie looks. Despite being initially released in 1982, The Dark Crystal still looks better than many CGI-based fantasy movies released in the last couple of years, which alone should be a testament to how practical effects endure the test of time and are still capable of amazing us four decades later. The second thing you should notice is that The Dark Crystal is not your typical fantasy story, as it subverts tropes that are still being used to exhaustion nowadays.

The Dark Crystal begins with a lengthy exposition that tells you everything you need to know about the world of Thra, an alien planet devastated a millennium ago when the Crystal of Truth was shattered for unknown reasons. Right after the crystal’s shattering, two races emerged in the world of Thra. First, we have the vicious Skeksis, who remain in the Dark Crystal’s castle, perverting its powers to prolong their unnatural lives. Then, we have the Mystics, a peaceful tribe that builds a life for themselves, removed from society, learning to thrive in nature without contact with society.

An expository narration might be a tiresome way to start a fantasy movie, but it is nevertheless needed due to the complexity of the setting. Henson came up with a fantasy world filled with secrets and history, and without understanding how the world of Thra works right from the start, it would be hard to follow the journey of Jen (voiced by Stephen Garlick), a hero who’s prophesied to retrieve the missing shard and restoring the Crystal of Truth. Proof that The Dark Crystal offers a layered world to explore is that the movie spawned novels, comic books, and even a Netflix prequel series, all built over the same foundations laid by Henson’s original story. It’s no wonder The Dark Crystal spends so much screen time wandering through the lands of Thra just to show the setting's rich fauna, flora, and cultural landmarks.........

And since we are discussing design choices, The Dark Crystal deserves a standing ovation for its puppets alone. The Skeksis, in particular, are not your regular group of faceless villains the hero must defeat, but each has a unique personality expressed through their design. As for the Mystics, they all look alike, and it’s harder to differentiate one from the other. In a fantasy setting, good guys have unique traits, while villains often get a bland design, a thoughtful decision that helps the audience to perceive the hero’s actions as morally commendable since they are just killing a horde of clones.

That’s not the case in The Dark Crystal for a very good reason.

The Skeksis are manifestations of strife, with each member of their race trying to get the best of the others. The Mystics, on the other hand, represent harmony, so they look the same because they live in balance with each other. More than a curious design choice, the way The Dark Crystal depicts both Skeksis and Mystics reflects the story's ethos, which is not about struggle but healing..........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom