Netflix in Linux? Perhaps WINE... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Can't believe this forum has been dead since November 3...time to stir it up a bit.

Here's the deal: I want Netflix streaming on one of my Linux machines. I know from experience it doesn't work, as it requires Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Linux has an equivalent program, Moonlight, but doesn't work with Netflix for some reason. Correspondence with Netflix support seems to indicate they will NEVER stream to Linux systems because of perceived DRM issues. If you want Netflix, it's Windows or nothing...

So I tried a Windows VM and this appears to work, but splitting my RAM between the Linux host and the Windows guest is a real drain on the system. Since my RAM is already maxed on the old box, I'll need to buy a new box with more than 2GB RAM capability in order to split RAM between host/guest OS and implement this solution appropriately.

Before I scrape the bucks together for this, It got me thinking...

I use Firefox for Netflix streaming and Silverlight plugs into the FF browser. In theory, perhaps I could install the Windows Firefox browser within WINE, install the Silverlight plugin with WINE, and stream Netflix to the WINE browser setup? Anyone done this before? If so, can you share your experiences on tweaks/settings to make it happen?

I can't beleive I'm the first to think of this...someone else HAS TO have attempted this before me...and I'd like to know if it's even possible or just a huge circle-jerking waste of time. If it's possible, I know one of you linux/techie gurus will know about it?! ;-)

Thanks in advance guys!

Can't believe this forum has been dead since November 3...time to stir it up a bit.

Here's the deal: I want Netflix streaming on one of my Linux machines. I know from experience it doesn't work, as it requires Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Linux has an equivalent program, Moonlight, but doesn't work with Netflix for some reason. Correspondence with Netflix support seems to indicate they will NEVER stream to Linux systems because of perceived DRM issues. If you want Netflix, it's Windows or nothing...

So I tried a Windows VM and this appears to work, but splitting my RAM between the Linux host and the Windows guest is a real drain on the system. Since my RAM is already maxed on the old box, I'll need to buy a new box with more than 2GB RAM capability in order to split RAM between host/guest OS and implement this solution appropriately.

Before I scrape the bucks together for this, It got me thinking...

I use Firefox for Netflix streaming and Silverlight plugs into the FF browser. In theory, perhaps I could install the Windows Firefox browser within WINE, install the Silverlight plugin with WINE, and stream Netflix to the WINE browser setup? Anyone done this before? If so, can you share your experiences on tweaks/settings to make it happen?

I can't beleive I'm the first to think of this...someone else HAS TO have attempted this before me...and I'd like to know if it's even possible or just a huge circle-jerking waste of time. If it's possible, I know one of you linux/techie gurus will know about it?! ;-)

Thanks in advance guys!

Ok, lets start at the beginning. Yes, you can easily install firefox in wine.
wine /Downloads/Firefox.exe (for example)

Next you need the .net2.0 framework for Silverlight.
create clean wineprefix
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.new_wine (for example)

then install .net using winetricks
sh winetricks corefonts dotnet20

All that goes well until you go to install Silverlight
wine Silverlight.exe

According to WineHQ silverlight 3 and 4 are incompatable with wine. I have tried install via firefox browser and via command line. Same error every time no matter how I config wine.

I did some research and have not found a single article,blog,forum post by anyone saying they have this working.

Two options. Add mucho RAM and run Netflix in VM
or
Boot into windows to run Netflix.
Or I guess there is a third option.

Dont use Netflix. They use a DRM that they will not release to linux. This probably will never happen.
Instead use Amazon video on demand. Works great in ubuntu with firefox.:9:

create clean wineprefix

wine Silverlight.exe

According to WineHQ silverlight 3 and 4 are incompatable with wine. I have tried install via firefox browser and via command line. Same error every time no matter how I config wine.

I did some research and have not found a single article,blog,forum post by anyone saying they have this working.

or

Dont use Netflix. They use a DRM that they will not release to linux. This probably will never happen.

Jtek...long time no talkie, buddy!

You had me excited until the very end. Dayummm...

I'm not fond of Netflix for the very reason you cited, but the wife is pushing this and the $7.99/mo. unlimited streaming package is a REAL GOOD deal.

Does Amazon have anything similar, for a similar price?

Conversely, you appear to be on the cutting edge of this Netflix stuff...is there a way to stream the Netflix/Silverlight player to say.....VLC on a Linux machine somewhere else in the house?

create clean wineprefix

wine Silverlight.exe

or

i like that method but yes, the drm kills it =\

Jtek...long time no talkie, buddy!

You had me excited until the very end. Dayummm...

I'm not fond of Netflix for the very reason you cited, but the wife is pushing this and the $7.99/mo. unlimited streaming package is a REAL GOOD deal.

Does Amazon have anything similar, for a similar price?

Conversely, you appear to be on the cutting edge of this Netflix stuff...is there a way to stream the Netflix/Silverlight player to say.....VLC on a Linux machine somewhere else in the house?

Yea, I haven't been on much. I have a two year old and a 3 month old. Things are pretty crazy right now!

Have you actually used netflix? I signed up about 6 months ago because my tv had netflix built in. Seemed really cool until you realize that there are no new releases. If you don't mind watching older movies than you are ok. Also, when I had netflix there was no HD content. I am completely spoiled with Blu-Ray and anything less offends my snobby elitist ways!

As far as Amazon Video on Demand goes I need to know how you will be watching these movies? On your pc? On your TV? Do you have a settop box, like Roku or google tv? Xbox?

The best thing about Amazon is there are tons of different pricing plus, and this is huge for me, You can get HD!!!!

As to your streaming netflix to vlc question, are you asking if you could use VLC instead of Silverlight? No, VLC will not stream netflix.

As of right now there is absolutely no way to run Netflix in linux natively. But I always have my ear to the ground.

Yea, I haven't been on much. I have a two year old and a 3 month old. Things are pretty crazy right now!

Have you actually used netflix? I signed up about 6 months ago because my tv had netflix built in. Seemed really cool until you realize that there are no new releases. If you don't mind watching older movies than you are ok. Also, when I had netflix there was no HD content. I am completely spoiled with Blu-Ray and anything less offends my snobby elitist ways!

As far as Amazon Video on Demand goes I need to know how you will be watching these movies? On your pc? On your TV? Do you have a settop box, like Roku or google tv? Xbox?

The best thing about Amazon is there are tons of different pricing plus, and this is huge for me, You can get HD!!!!

As to your streaming netflix to vlc question, are you asking if you could use VLC instead of Silverlight? No, VLC will not stream netflix.

As of right now there is absolutely no way to run Netflix in linux natively. But I always have my ear to the ground.

Yeah, I'm a Netflix subscriber now (when the wife is happy, EVERYONE is happy; when she isn't...you better get her happy!). They advertise HD, but I think I read that it is 720p HD, not 1080. I'm not elitist, I'll watch it! And I noticed the lack of "new releases", but they have a HUGE library of stuff I've never seen. Supposedly, Netflix's studio deal doesn't allow new releases to Netflix for 30-60 days(?) to allow the studios a head start on DVD sales. If true, that's okay...it doesn't have to be released right away for me...I consider any movie I've never seen before a "new release." LOL

My VLC question was actually "is there a way to stream Netflix player to a DIFFERENT computer using VLC?" I'm currently running Netflix on an old Dell Dimension 2400 box running Windows XP, utilizing my 42" LCD HD TV as the VGA monitor output and selecting "VGA/Computer" as input on the TV. I refer to this as "the Netflix box." I know the VGA limits HD resolution, but it works and, like I said, I'm no elitist. I've got 9 TVs in the house (I know, it's ridiculous) and I'd like to watch Netflix on any TV I want, not just the TV connected to the Windows/Netflix box.

Sounds like I just need to bite the bullet and put together my Linux HTPC box with a video capture card; instead of REPLACING my Windows/Netflix box, perhaps I can run the Windows/Netflix box in series, as an input to the Linux HTPC capture card, capturing in VLC, and then streaming to my Archos 500GB Internet Tablet, which can be utilized as a video input to be movable to any and every TV in the house. This would get me Netflix to any/every TV I wanted to view it on, bypassing Netflix's restrictive DRM measures, wouldn't it? Just a thought...

Or maybe I should just look into the Amazon service and vote with my wallet... Freakin' Netflix...why are we still pushing technology & platforms that were ruled to be monopolistic by the US Justice Department? Because we CAN...

Yeah, I'm a Netflix subscriber now (when the wife is happy, EVERYONE is happy; when she isn't...you better get her happy!). They advertise HD, but I think I read that it is 720p HD, not 1080. I'm not elitist, I'll watch it! And I noticed the lack of "new releases", but they have a HUGE library of stuff I've never seen. Supposedly, Netflix's studio deal doesn't allow new releases to Netflix for 30-60 days(?) to allow the studios a head start on DVD sales. If true, that's okay...it doesn't have to be released right away for me...I consider any movie I've never seen before a "new release." LOL

My VLC question was actually "is there a way to stream Netflix player to a DIFFERENT computer using VLC?" I'm currently running Netflix on an old Dell Dimension 2400 box running Windows XP, utilizing my 42" LCD HD TV as the VGA monitor output and selecting "VGA/Computer" as input on the TV. I refer to this as "the Netflix box." I know the VGA limits HD resolution, but it works and, like I said, I'm no elitist. I've got 9 TVs in the house (I know, it's ridiculous) and I'd like to watch Netflix on any TV I want, not just the TV connected to the Windows/Netflix box.

Sounds like I just need to bite the bullet and put together my Linux HTPC box with a video capture card; instead of REPLACING my Windows/Netflix box, perhaps I can run the Windows/Netflix box in series, as an input to the Linux HTPC capture card, capturing in VLC, and then streaming to my Archos 500GB Internet Tablet, which can be utilized as a video input to be movable to any and every TV in the house. This would get me Netflix to any/every TV I wanted to view it on, bypassing Netflix's restrictive DRM measures, wouldn't it? Just a thought...

Or maybe I should just look into the Amazon service and vote with my wallet... Freakin' Netflix...why are we still pushing technology & platforms that were ruled to be monopolistic by the US Justice Department? Because we CAN...

You can watch the same netflix streaming movie on more that one pc at the same time. This is built into Netflix. You can not stream netflix via VLC. You can not get around the DRM (well you can but its very messy and time consuming, and must be recorded first then played back but here is the aricle: http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/managing-infosec/download-and-save-netflix-movies-18164 ) If you really want to learn this follow the link to the Rorta Webiste and there are step by step instructions.

Your Archos tablet would work great with Amazon's service, so you then could take that to whatever tv you want to watch the movie on.

You can watch the same netflix streaming movie on more that one pc at the same time. This is built into Netflix. You can not stream netflix via VLC. You can not get around the DRM (well you can but its very messy and time consuming, and must be recorded first then played back but here is the aricle: http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/managing-infosec/download-and-save-netflix-movies-18164 ) If you really want to learn this follow the link to the Rorta Webiste and there are step by step instructions.

Your Archos tablet would work great with Amazon's service, so you then could take that to whatever tv you want to watch the movie on.

Appreciate the info, but that article is from August 2007. It is my understanding that the most recent version(s) of Silverlight are Netflix's response to the Rorta hacks, which no longer work. Looks like we'll both have our ears to the ground for future Netflix news. Until then, thanks for the Amazon streaming tip!

Appreciate the info, but that article is from August 2007. It is my understanding that the most recent version(s) of Silverlight are Netflix's response to the Rorta hacks, which no longer work. Looks like we'll both have our ears to the ground for future Netflix news. Until then, thanks for the Amazon streaming tip!

Yea, I knew it was older but dang time sure does fly by. I still think some of these steps could be used inside wine to view netflix in VLC.
Off the top of my head you could do steps 1-7 (installing WMP 10 in wine). Once you got the URL you could put it in VLC to stream. Not sure if this would work cause of the DRM. But if you could get marikagi or FU4WM to work inside wine you could grab the key for VLC. There are possibilities here.....

When I used Ubuntu as my primary OS, I used this method for watching Netflix, any flash videos (back when Flash for 64-bit Linux was unbelievably buggy), and WMP-based streams of Saints games. My system had an AMDx2 4400+, integrated graphis, with 2GB RAM as well, and what I did to lessen the load was to use an nlite heavily stripped-down version of XP I procured via p2p as my Windows VM (legality...um, very questionable). If you have an XP disc/license, you could strip it down yourself pretty easily and legally. I think I only gave the Windows guest 512MB RAM, and this worked fine, but if I recall, this was before Netflix introduced 720P streams.
I've since switched to Windows 7 as my primary OS on both of my computers for family tech support reasons (much easier to help them troubleshoot when I'm looking at the same screens), but Netflix and Streamtorrent's lack of Linux support still annoys me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom