Netflix: Narcos (2 Viewers)

Was in Colombia not long ago. Love Ajiaco and the Renaults are still there. :ezbill:

Ajicao is fantastic. Had some pandebono yesterday my Dad brought in town for me... The renaults still roll there, but the 4's, 5's, 6's, and 12's aren't seen that much anymore.

Ajicao is fantastic. Had some pandebono yesterday my Dad brought in town for me... The renaults still roll there, but the 4's, 5's, 6's, and 12's aren't seen that much anymore.

Mmmmm....pandebono. sancocho. bandeja paisa. arepas. Now I will need to go eat Colombian food when I'm in Houston next. We have a Colombian restaurant here in Austin but it's not that good.

When I was in Cali (Colombia obviously, not California), we used to go get fresh pandebono every morning.

Mmmmm....pandebono. sancocho. bandeja paisa. arepas. Now I will need to go eat Colombian food when I'm in Houston next. We have a Colombian restaurant here in Austin but it's not that good.

When I was in Cali (Colombia obviously, not California), we used to go get fresh pandebono every morning.

What is the name of the Columbian restaurant here in Austin?

I checked out the first episode last night. I thought it was well-written, well-acted, and well-produced (they really got down the look and feel of the years they were depicting). Also, I liked the narration by the gringo DEA agent - gave the show a "Goodfellas" vibe.

I'm in.

After watching the first two episodes I'm really digging it. There are some inconsistencies that just don't add up. The one that bugs me the most is in the second episode when Poison is driving the money and gets the phone call from Pablo to turn around, he jerks the car off the road onto a dirt road. While on the dirt road the tires continued to squeal as if they are still on asphault. Ok, seriously though, it is well written.

Here is the thing, I've already seen this.
Escobar, El patrón del mal (TV Mini-Series 2012) - IMDb

This is the Colombian version of the show. When I was watching this show I realized just how much potential it had. The problem is the entire thing was in spanish, no English and while some actors were really good, it also had some that were really bad that could have made a big difference. You can tell Netflix saw the same thing I saw, potential with some changes directed toward an American audience that they could have a hit on their hands. They use many scenes that are almost identical, even the conversations are very similar. If I were the producers of El Patron Del Mar I'd already have a lawsuit filed. It sure appears as though Netflix is using all the leg work that was put into that series and just rearranging some things. The biggest differences between the two is the narrative and views from the DEA point of view, the Colombian series put more time into allowing the viewer to get to know the victim making it much harder to feel like rooting for Pablo. It also showed just how ruthless Pablo was. Then again, I can't imagine a Colombian TV show portray Pablo Escobar any other way.

The next big difference is the speed at which the series moves. I felt like the Colombian series dragged on heavily at times. Netflix has certainly sped up the actions and reduced down the side narratives which is good. The problem here is the Netflix series has covered in 2 episodes what the Colombian series covered in 2 seasons. Hey, that is awesome right now but I already know what is going to happen when this hit becomes a success. Netflix is going to extend the series by several seasons and by that time they will have to extend out the subplots so far it will become a giant soap opera like so many other series have.

I expect this series will be amazing through the first and maybe second season. I'd also expect that after that it's going to go bat **** crazy.

Love it but had no idea it would go into another season.

$60,000,000 a day in the 80's trafficking Cocaine!

Watched the entire first season. Compelling television. Awesome show. This is a cautionary tale of how greed destroys. When enough is never enough.

Is it better than Medellin?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wSpHeWRYYVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched the 1st episode last night. The show has potential.

Dude, you will binge watch the show. It's eminently watchable. Even having known some of it and exactly how it ends, you still watch every moment.

Then I found myself doing research to see what was reportedly factual. Very interesting stuff. VERY.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom