Network reactions to Saints / Falcons (1 Viewer)

Thanks I was waiting for this thread

What reactions? I've been watching GMFB, a normally very pro-Saints show, and they haven't even shown our highlights yet. They've shown Cowboys twice, Steelers beating a 1-7 team twice, Dolphins and Broncos twice, and basically every other game out there.

I expected Hill's first start to be a bigger story.

Edit: they are just now coming on. I'll let you know.

GMFB showed two plays total in their highlight package (both Hill TDs). No discussion and on to the Texans highlights for the 3rd time. The tease is yet another discussion of the 3-7 Cowboys.

I'm not gonna bother to watch ESPN.

GMFB showed two plays total in their highlight package (both Hill TDs). No discussion and on to the Texans highlights for the 3rd time. The tease is yet another discussion of the 3-7 Cowboys.

I'm not gonna bother to watch ESPN.
Oh yeah that riveting game between those 2 power house AFC teams. Yeah, that makes sense.

What reactions? I've been watching GMFB, a normally very pro-Saints show, and they haven't even shown our highlights yet. They've shown Cowboys twice, Steelers beating a 1-7 team twice, Dolphins and Broncos twice, and basically every other game out there.

I expected Hill's first start to be a bigger story.

Edit: they are just now coming on. I'll let you know.

if there should be cheese, it’s ok to snack on it (unless you are a player :nono:). If they prefer to sleep on us, then we shall all enjoy our cheese later lol

The Cowboys won yesterday. I don't expect to hear much about the Saints from the national media this morning. As crazy as it is think, being a longtime Saints fan, the Saints winning 12 or 13 games a season is normal now. Unfortunately the way they have exited the playoffs the last few years has turned the media off the Saints. Saints are going to have to prove it in the playoffs if they want any love from the national media.

From Peter King’s Football Morning in America:

Taysom’s Day
When the first start of Taysom Hill’s NFL career was over, he saw Drew Brees, leaving the field at the Superdome after a 24-9 win over rival Atlanta. At that moment, Brees had 11 fractured ribs and a very wide grin, and he gently hugged Hill.

“I love you,” Brees said into Hill’s ear. “You deserve this.”

Hill is a modest guy, but truth be told, he thought so too. In the last eight years, four college seasons at Brigham Young had ended in injury for Hill, he’d gone undrafted, got signed and soon cut by the Packers, landed with the Saints to be a special-teamer and perhaps a gadget player. Hill played very sparingly for three years, until Brees got waylaid by the rib injury last week. Coach Sean Payton picked Hill to start over the first pick of the 2015 draft, Jameis Winston, for a couple of reasons: He felt he owed it to him and told him he was next in line; and Payton truly felt Hill had a chance to be a new-wave quarterback, runner and thrower, who could capably replace Brees when he retired—likely at the end of this season. Why not find out if he was the real deal?

GettyImages-1287077957.jpg
Saints quarterback Taysom Hill. (Getty Images)
And so with Brees out for at least three weeks, Hill got the nod from Payton. And he got the Brees treatment. Every Saturday night, Payton and Brees, who’d been together since 2006, reviving a floundering franchise and making it relevant, met in the team hotel and went through the game plan. “The Dot Meeting,” Payton called it. Payton would have maybe 225 plays on his laminated play sheet in different categories (red zone, short-yardage, etc.). Payton liked most of them. Brees would pick his favorites, maybe 40, and Payton would put a black Sharpie dot next to the play, then try to call most of them the next day. Ditto with Hill.

Both liked a play that would send Michael Thomas in motion and get him a crosser completion.

On Sunday, Payton called it first—the first call of Hill’s starting career.

“Box Right Nasty, X Out, Q-8 Smash,” Payton told me after the game. “and Taysom called it wrong! He forgot the motion!! First play of the game!”

Wrong call and all, inauspicious as it was, maybe it was karma. Hill completed the short throw to the right of the formation for eight yards.

“I didn’t want to run him early,” Payton said. “You know what people think of him—they think he’s a runner. I think he’s a quarterback. And I wanted him to play quarterback early.”

Hill threw 13 passes in the first half, got sacked twice, and scrambled on a pass play once. Sixteen of the 17 plays in the first half with the ball in Hill’s hands were just what Payton wanted—pass plays. In the second half, the full Hill happened, including a smooth 10-yard TD run to his left that looked so natural. “He runs that touchdown to the left, and it was so easy,” Payton said. “He looked so good. I watched that and I was like, ‘Wow.’

Hill tallied 233 passing yards, ran for 51 (and two TDs), and completed 18 of 23 with two drops and one quite-underthrown deep ball. He’ll start next week at Denver and almost certainly the following week at Atlanta. And then, who knows? Brees could be back.

“There was a lot of pressure on him,” Payton said. “A lot. I felt it too.”

“I always felt I was capable of playing quarterback, and starting, in this league,” Hill told me. “But of course, until you do it, that’s just talk.”

The play I thought was the key to the entire day happened on the first drive of the third quarter. The Saints led 10-9, and the outcome was very much in doubt. On first down from the Saints’ 41, Hill was under center, received the snap, and took his drop. His favorite target, Thomas, posted up about nine yards upfield. And here came linebacker Deion Jones, unblocked, steaming straight ahead at Hill.

This is the kind of play that tells you much about a quarterback. Would he hang in and take the hit, a whopper that could knock the wind out of a man and maybe do something worse? Or would he tuck the ball and try to run around end—which, absolutely, is not the call here.

“That play,” Hill said. “I remember it. I can see it. It’s the type of play you’ve got to make as a quarterback. Trust yourself, trust the receiver. I didn’t see Michael catch it, but I did put the ball there for him.” Hill didn’t see it, because he got slammed by Jones. But it was complete. Gain of nine. Seven plays later, Hills scampered around right end for a touchdown and a 17-9 lead.

“You know what I liked about that play?” Payton said. “Deion hid what he was doing. Taysom didn’t know he was coming. But he came, Taysom had to adjust, and he did, he got the ball out, and it was right on target. Important play for him. Those are the tough plays for a quarterback. He just . . . made it.”

In the locker room, Hill got another hug: from Payton. This time there were no words.

“He didn’t have to say anything,” Hill said. “I appreciate him. I appreciate his support, ever since I’ve been here.”

Honestly guys, Saints won't get the recognition they deserve. If yall are waiting.......don't hold your breath. Honestly I love it. Keep flying under the radar I say. You may here the networks say somethings but not alot. On Get Up they did say that if Saints Defense keep playing like they are they will be hard to beat. As long as we know it. Thats fine with me. Also I think because of the playoffs the last couple of years Saints not getting respected from that also. Besides the No Call

There's gonna be a slew of reactions no doubt.

Interested to see what the alien looking creature known as Ryan Clark has to say. He of course predicted we would lose this game and that Taysom was not going to fare well.
Ryan said the Defense was great and Yada Yada yada

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom