Nevada Votes down Marijuana legalization (1 Viewer)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Would allow individuals at least 21 years of age to purchase, possess, use and transport up to one ounce of marijuana. Wholesale sale of marijuana would be subject to state excise taxes; retail sales would be subject to state sales tax. Fifty percent of tax revenue from the sale of marijuana would be used to fund voluntary programs for the prevention and treatment of the abuse of alcohol, tobacco or controlled substances. The other 50 percent would go to the state general fund.

Nevada Question 7:
Legalize Marijuana

Yes 252,776 44%
No 320,854 56%

Wow, 44%, that's actually a workable number. I'm surprised... and pleased... hehe.

Kind of suprising since potheads are a demographic not reknowned for their turnout.

Amazing to me that at one time the tide is turning against tobacco and then yet, at the same time, legalizing marijuana continues to gain ground.

I think that this would have been a very positive step. People that smoke weed are going to keep smoking weed regardless of the law. This would simply make it more difficult for underaged people to get it and instead of the drug dealers making untaxed money the state would benifit by being able to tax large sums of money that have gone untouched for years. I also believe it would greatly increase the availability of treatment programs and facilities to combat abuse.

Kind of suprising since potheads are a demographic not reknowned for their turnout.

you would be very surprised...not all potheads are lazy kids with dreadlocks and funyuns....i bet you that there are people you know, that you would never suspect, that smoke pot...trust me, it's more than you think.....and since when did potheads become a demographic??

The wife of the Chancellor of Vanderbilt University is a pothead.

you would be very surprised...not all potheads are lazy kids with dreadlocks and funyuns....i bet you that there are people you know, that you would never suspect, that smoke pot...trust me, it's more than you think.....and since when did potheads become a demographic??

I was a pothead in college. Most potheads are college kids or poor, both groups have low voter turnout. I know them, I hung out with them. We watched Family Guy DVDs together. Old people and middle class whites don't smoke much pot. The primary pot smoking "demographic" doesn't vote at a high level.

I think the pro pot camp needs to embark on a new education process. The main purpose of which is to point out the absurdity of the war on drugs. Point out how many of the people tax dollars are going to this losing war and how legalization isn't going to lead to potheads on every corner. The anti-pot crowd wins an fear and fear alone. Education turned me around on this subject and could certainly change the minds of the 6% needed to get this passed in Nevada.

You got any links for that Rickboy? I really don't feel the lives lost and money spent are worth it, but have never seen any factual numbers to back that up.

Old people and middle class whites don't smoke much pot.

link?? i am sorry, but you are just wrong....they are not as flamboyant about it...but trust me, a considerable amount of middle class white people do....i know some of them personally....they vote and they smoke pot....keep in mind, they are not running around with hackey sacks and tye dye...they grew out of that stuff....yet they didn't grow out of the pot....i think you would be surprised by how many middle class whites actually do it....that's all i am saying

You got any links for that Rickboy? I really don't feel the lives lost and money spent are worth it, but have never seen any factual numbers to back that up.
There is a ton of information out there.

http://www.mpp.org/ is a good place to start. You can take their pro-legalization arguments and bump them against the anti-legalization arguments with a little research. Do your own unbiased research and see what conclusion you come up with.

I was a pothead in college. Most potheads are college kids or poor, both groups have low voter turnout. I know them, I hung out with them. We watched Family Guy DVDs together. Old people and middle class whites don't smoke much pot. The primary pot smoking "demographic" doesn't vote at a high level.
Ever heard of Sir Richard Branson? He's the billionare who started the Virgin family of businesses (Virgin Atlantic Airways, Virgin Mobile, etc.). Yup...he's a pothead and proud of it.

link?? i am sorry, but you are just wrong....they are not as flamboyant about it...but trust me, a considerable amount of middle class white people do....i know some of them personally....they vote and they smoke pot....keep in mind, they are not running around with hackey sacks and tye dye...they grew out of that stuff....yet they didn't grow out of the pot....i think you would be surprised by how many middle class whites actually do it....that's all i am saying

http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/nhsda/2knhsda/chapter2.htm

fig23gk0.jpg

I jazzed the graph up for you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom