Never forget we almost had Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

Never forget Saints were picking at 28 and NE at 15? On no planet were we anywhere near him
Read above

lets try this again

the Saints had an agreement in place with the Arizona Cardinals for the No. 16 pick. The trade would allow New Orleans to draft Mac Jones, but the Patriots stepped in and drafted the Heisman Trophy finalist 15th overall.

Patriots are such an elite organization. Throw Mac Jones in Jacksonville and he would look like trash. He has the perfect situation where he isn't asked to do much. I still question his upside.
I agree. Zach Wilson Jets is a bust. The Jets have had the opportunity to draft almost every great QB for the last 20yrs and have failed. Mac Jones to the jets would have been a bust.

I agree. Zach Wilson Jets is a bust. The Jets have had the opportunity to draft almost every great QB for the last 20yrs and have failed. Mac Jones to the jets would have been a bust.
Talented rookies who are selected in the middle part of the first can often have quicker success because the team they are going to isn’t as much of a dumpster fire.

The Pats were a year removed from being a dominant playoff team. They were adjusting to life after Brady and had numerous Covid opt-outs (some argue they were strategic opt-outs).

So basically the Pats had a reset year.

The Jets and Jags are pretty bad top to bottom so guys like Wilson and Lawrence are going to have a lot harder time being successful.

If I'm a top college QB about to enter the NFL draft, I can imagine how torn I would be about being drafted by a 'bottom-feeder' team. Yeah those early picks get a bit more monetarily to start their career, but some never get a chance to establish themselves due to the 'dumpster fires' who draft them.

Personally I would prefer to fall back a bit on draft day and enjoy my NFL experience on a team that gives me some hope. Even if I am a clipboard holder for a while, if I have what it takes to excel as a starter, I would have to trust that my time to shine would eventually come and then I could work out a really nice contract on a team that has a great chance of ruling the roost for a while.

I can only imagine how many potentially great QBs from the college ranks never had a chance to excel in the NFL because they were so highly touted they got stuck on a team that had no chance to make them a star in the league. Perhaps this is why we see so many great QBs who came from the later rounds in the draft. This allowed them to sign with a team that has a good nucleus of players, coaches, and front office personnel.

Last edited:
If I'm a top college QB about to enter the NFL draft, I can imagine how torn I would be about being drafted by a 'bottom-feeder' team. Yeah those early picks get a bit more monetarily to start their career, but some never get a chance to establish themselves due to the 'dumpster fires' who draft them.

Personally I would prefer to fall back a bit on draft day and enjoy my NFL experience on a team that gives me some hope. Even if I am a clipboard holder for a while, if I have what it takes to excel as a starter, I would have to trust that my time to shine would eventually come and then I could work out a really nice contract on a team that has a great chance of ruling the roost for a while.

I can only imagine how many potentially great QBs from the college ranks never had a chance to excel in the NFL because they were so highly touted they got stuck on a team that had no chance to make them a star in the league. Perhaps this is why we see so many great QBs who came from the later rounds in the draft. This allowed them to sign with a team that has a good nucleus of players, coaches, and front office personnel.
Thats why if I was the draft prospect, I'm not playing for the Jets, Jags, Lions. These organizations are so highly dysfunctional, they're career ruiners.

Thats why if I was the draft prospect, I'm not playing for the Jets, Jags, Lions. These organizations are so highly dysfunctional, they're career ruiners.
If I were a projected #1 QB and the Jets or Jags had the #1 pick, I'd just "leak" a pic of myself doing coke off of a Colombian woman the night before the draft.

I thought Mac Jones was going to be a total bust… thought he was a product of the great talent around him at Bama.

I feel like Dan Orlovsky commenting on how “Joe Brady is to Sam Darnold -as- Sean Payton is to Drew Brees”

Just a couple of morons talking out of their backsides..
I loved that one.😄

The list was quite long here for why people hated Jones:

1) Product of bama talented O
2) Bama qbs suck in NFL
3) The infamous shirtless photo 🤦🏽‍♂️w/cigar
4)pop gun Noodle arm
5) not a top 10 player in the draft...
6) not worthy of a top 10 pick..etc

the list goes on.

Gotta say that I'm proud of the kid.

He could possibly end up having the best rookie season of any qb ever before it's all said and done.

I would've been happy with 10 wins let alone #1 seed in the AFC.

Looks like Jones is my Chase Claypool of this year.

Jayson Oweh is also #2 in rookie Pressures behind Christian Barmore for NE. Oweh was on the board when they took Turner.

If I were a projected #1 QB and the Jets or Jags had the #1 pick, I'd just "leak" a pic of myself doing coke off of a Colombian woman the night before the draft.
Those 2 organizations would probably be ok with that.

Talented rookies who are selected in the middle part of the first can often have quicker success because the team they are going to isn’t as much of a dumpster fire.

The Pats were a year removed from being a dominant playoff team. They were adjusting to life after Brady and had numerous Covid opt-outs (some argue they were strategic opt-outs).

So basically the Pats had a reset year.

The Jets and Jags are pretty bad top to bottom so guys like Wilson and Lawrence are going to have a lot harder time being successful.

I genuinely think they were strategic opt outs. It gave Belichick the perfect excuse to "tank" without tanking. Can anyone sit here and justify Cam Newton fitting in Josh McDaniel's offensive system? No, of course not... yet the Patriots signed him and started him in fifteen games last season. Key defensive players all opting out, signing a QB who doesn't fit the system... doing enough to win yet also doing enough to lose more...

Would I accept a 7-9 season if it meant getting a franchise player for the next decade, secure a winning season, #1 in the division and #1 in the conference literally the very next season?

Without question.

I genuinely think they were strategic opt outs. It gave Belichick the perfect excuse to "tank" without tanking. Can anyone sit here and justify Cam Newton fitting in Josh McDaniel's offensive system? No, of course not... yet the Patriots signed him and started him in fifteen games last season. Key defensive players all opting out, signing a QB who doesn't fit the system... doing enough to win yet also doing enough to lose more...

Would I accept a 7-9 season if it meant getting a franchise player for the next decade, secure a winning season, #1 in the division and #1 in the conference literally the very next season?

Without question.
Are we sure that Payton and company are capable of drafting a franchise QB? Granted he hasn't had a high enough pick to fully prove that yet but all of his mid-to-late tier picks have been busts (jury is still out on Book.) We've heard rumors that Payton wanted Mahommes....or Jones...but those were all after the fact. I'm just curious what an early round Payton-drafted QB would look like.

Saints seriously need to tighten up their war room. Teams seem to get a jump on us a lot. Not just in the first round.

Either they have a mole or are way to open with who they want and other teams know

Saints seriously need to tighten up their war room. Teams seem to get a jump on us a lot. Not just in the first round.

Either they have a mole or are way to open with who they want and other teams know
At least that's what we're told after said player turns out to be good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom