Never forget we almost had Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

Saints seriously need to tighten up their war room. Teams seem to get a jump on us a lot. Not just in the first round.

Either they have a mole or are way to open with who they want and other teams know
Now we got Terry Fontenot in Atlanta with our secrets.

We were this close. Payton and Loomis tried! I mean when we played against him you can see at the end of the game he was figuring it out.

Mac Jones?! I'm still upset over not landing Patrick Mahones!

But if the Pats had not picked him

The thing for me is everyone and their mother had Mac Jones going to the Patriots. What use is a trade up AFTER them to draft Jones?

Mac is going to be a good QB that is for sure. I remember how many pundits said that if the 49ers picked Mac over Lance its a bad pick. Sure 9ers probably wish they picked Mac now. Always find it amazing how NFL teams fall for flash versus solid substance.

In the NFL when its comes to quarterbacking smarts are far more important than athletic ability.

I honestly bet they don’t wish they had Mac over Lance. So much more goes into projection than just how do they look after 10 football games. The best QB in the league (Mahomes) was not ready to beat out Alex Smith as a rookie. Nathan Peterman had more starts as a rookie than Pat Mahomes.

This is what most of the draft pundits expected tbh, especially when they saw the landing spots for each of the rookie QBs. Mac Jones went to the perfect destination with proven structure and he was the best “straight out of the package” QB in the class. The only other rookie QB that went to a strong foundation was Lance, and he is sitting behind a guy with significantly less talent ala Mahomes. I don’t think it’s fair to crown Jones the best QB in the class yet.

I loved that one.😄

The list was quite long here for why people hated Jones:

1) Product of bama talented O
2) Bama qbs suck in NFL
3) The infamous shirtless photo 🤦🏽‍♂️w/cigar
4)pop gun Noodle arm
5) not a top 10 player in the draft...
6) not worthy of a top 10 pick..etc

the list goes on.

Gotta say that I'm proud of the kid.

He could possibly end up having the best rookie season of any qb ever before it's all said and done.

I would've been happy with 10 wins let alone #1 seed in the AFC.

Looks like Jones is my Chase Claypool of this year.

Jayson Oweh is also #2 in rookie Pressures behind Christian Barmore for NE. Oweh was on the board when they took Turner.
I was right there with you in Mac. Yeah. He had elite WRs. But they rarely had to make tough catches in the instances when they had tougher coverage. Tua and Jalen both got frantic at moments but Mac always looked calm in the pocket. I’m glad he’s doing well too.

Almost had Mac Jones and almost had Mahomes. How do they miss both times with as much as the Saints love trading up seemingly every year.
I'm happy that the Chiefs took Mahomes, because if not we'd have to live with the regret that we passed on Patrick Mahomes for Marshon Lattimore.

By draft day, Mac Jones was drafted exactly in the spot everybody thought he would.

The Saints must not have wanted him bad enough to pull the trigger.

I smell conspiracy theory all over this one! How are the Saints always "one more" pick away from drafting a possible franchise quarterback? Some serious NFL insider trading going on if you ask me!
Most expected NE to draft him if he fell to 15. So, getting a deal done to move the 16 was really irrelevant.

The thing for me is everyone and their mother had Mac Jones going to the Patriots. What use is a trade up AFTER them to draft Jones?
Loud mouth Mel had him going to Niners.

Then rumors Packers wanted to move up for him when Rodgers wanted out.

The problem is you have to have someone willing to trade with you.

The eagles moved up to #10 with this trade:

Eagles receive:

Cowboys receive:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 12 LB Micah Parsons)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 84 DE Chauncey Golston)

Would we have been able to beat that? Probably not. Even throwing in our second round pick (#60) and a first in 2022. The Cowboys didn't want to move down 18 spots (and for good reason Micah Parsons looks pretty good).

The Bears moved up to #11 with this trade:

Bears receive:

Giants receive:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 20 WR Kadarius Toney)
  • 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 164 traded to Broncos)
  • 2022 first-round pick
  • 2022 fourth-round pick
We aren't topping that without throwing in a 2023 1st rounder on top of the 2022 and 21

The Cowboys sit at #12 and got their dude in Micah Parsons (good move)

The Chargers stay at #13 and get an offensive lineman who's started every game for them at tackle and has an 89.7% pass block win rate. Like the Cowboys it probably would have taken a lot for them to move out of this spot. Probably #28 and at least a 2022 1st.

At #14 the Jets' traded with the Vikings.

Jets receive:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 14 OL Alijah Vera-Tucker)
  • 2021 fourth-round pick (No. 143 traded to Raiders)
Vikings receive:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 23 OL Christian Darrisaw)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 66 QB Kellen Mond)
  • 2021 third-round pick (No. 86 G Wyatt Davis)
This one we may have been able to trump the Jets on with #28, #60 and #76. I guess it depends on how much the Vikings really liked Christian Darrisaw (a guy who's started 6 out of 8 games for them after missing the first 4 weeks with a groin injury). Also if your the Vikings do you really want to hand the Saints their starting QB for the next 10 years?

I honestly bet they don’t wish they had Mac over Lance. So much more goes into projection than just how do they look after 10 football games. The best QB in the league (Mahomes) was not ready to beat out Alex Smith as a rookie. Nathan Peterman had more starts as a rookie than Pat Mahomes.

This is what most of the draft pundits expected tbh, especially when they saw the landing spots for each of the rookie QBs. Mac Jones went to the perfect destination with proven structure and he was the best “straight out of the package” QB in the class. The only other rookie QB that went to a strong foundation was Lance, and he is sitting behind a guy with significantly less talent ala Mahomes. I don’t think it’s fair to crown Jones the best QB in the class yet.
This is it here. And I can guarantee that Mahomes would not be the best QB in the league if he didn't land in the promise land. You go somewhere with a culture of winning, a proven offense (Alex Smith was a top 10 QB his last year in KC.), and a HOF coach and your chance for success is multiplied compared to a first round pick that ends up with the Jets or Jags.

I am not going to make the claim he is going to be good based on a rookie season. Teams will figure him out soon and if he can't adjust to that then he will be just another OK QB if not worse.
You mean like Burrow?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom