New Advice: Don't Sit Up Straight (2 Viewers)

SWJJ

moar bink ball
Reaction score
The longstanding advice to "sit up straight" has been turned on its head by a new study that suggests leaning back is a much better posture.

Researchers analyzed different postures and concluded that the strain of sitting upright for long hours is a perpetrator of chronic back problems.

Using a new form of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), researchers studied 22 volunteers with no back pain history. The subjects assumed three different positions: slouching; sitting up straight at 90 degrees; and sitting back with a 135-degree posture—all while their spines were scanned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20061128/sc_livescience/newadvicedontsitupstraight

well, sure, maybe that will help the lower back a bit but it will DESTROY your neck.

I need to print this out and distribute it to a couple dozen of the teachers I've had over the years...

Oh, I can't wait to tell Mom she's been wrong for alllll those years. :hihi:

Parents and teachers never told you to sit up because it was better for your back. And for the most part slouching is even worse for your body.

They told you that because it's easier to stay alert and pay attention if you are sitting up straight.

Now sit up straight and pay attention. Don't make me get out the ruler.

well, sure, maybe that will help the lower back a bit but it will DESTROY your neck.
No doubt. Leaning back in a chair makes my neck hurt like crazy.

This is obvious to me. I've always felt awkward sitting straight up for too long. Leaning back or forward is the way to go...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom