New Airport Opening Nov 6th (1 Viewer)

Maybe you should camp out on November 5th. How do you even get to the terminal? I have a flight in January

Loyola Avenue exit off I-10 - turn left at the exit (stoplight) - cross Veterans (stoplight) and Loyola now turns into the airport access road. Street traffic and 2 stoplights. For every vehicle going in or out of the airport.

Because literally nobody thought about how anyone would get to the new airport until it was too late.
Morons.

I'm going to the open house this afternoon so I'll get a chance to see if the restaurants and concessions look like they will be ready by opening day.
Let us know.

So what happens to the current airport access exit? They're shutting that down?

I'm going to the open house this afternoon so I'll get a chance to see if the restaurants and concessions look like they will be ready by opening day.
Alright here's the scoop. The major restaurants (Leah's, Mopho, Ye Olde College Inn, Folse, Mondo, Emeril's, Midway Pizza, Chick-fil-A, Chili's) all look ready to go and some were even conducting training for their new hires. The smaller eating venues ( Panda Express, Lucky Dog, City Greens, Shake Shack, Cafe Du Monde, PJ's Coffee, Peet's Coffee and others) looked ready but were dark and not staffed. Starbucks has three locations and they all looked ready and one was even training staff. The airport itself still has some significant unfinished work but nothing that can't be completed by November 6th. The largest unfinished area is the TSA Security Checkpoint leading to the three concourses. Many of the security equipment was either missing or uninstalled (sitting on pallets) and I have a feeling only a few of the planned security lines will be ready by opening day. They will probably open with three to six security lines and expand to more over time as the equipment is delivered and installed. The airlines' counters and ticketing areas all look ready to go. Baggage claim looks ready as well. Parking lots and garages were ready but the access road leading from the new entrance at Veterans and Loyola to the new terminal still has significant roadwork going on and will have to be cleaned up by opening or it will be a traffic nightmare.

Alright here's the scoop. The major restaurants (Leah's, Mopho, Ye Olde College Inn, Folse, Mondo, Emeril's, Midway Pizza, Chick-fil-A, Chili's) all look ready to go and some were even conducting training for their new hires. The smaller eating venues ( Panda Express, Lucky Dog, City Greens, Shake Shack, Cafe Du Monde, PJ's Coffee, Peet's Coffee and others) looked ready but were dark and not staffed. Starbucks has three locations and they all looked ready and one was even training staff. The airport itself still has some significant unfinished work but nothing that can't be completed by November 6th. The largest unfinished area is the TSA Security Checkpoint leading to the three concourses. Many of the security equipment was either missing or uninstalled (sitting on pallets) and I have a feeling only a few of the planned security lines will be ready by opening day. They will probably open with three to six security lines and expand to more over time as the equipment is delivered and installed. The airlines' counters and ticketing areas all look ready to go. Baggage claim looks ready as well. Parking lots and garages were ready but the access road leading from the new entrance at Veterans and Loyola to the new terminal still has significant roadwork going on and will have to be cleaned up by opening or it will be a traffic nightmare.
Two body scanners were set up and they were putting together a 3rd one when I left. That was the biggest unfinished thing I saw. A few vendors still had boxes and stuff stacked in them, but if it has one or two fewer places to buy a vacuum-sealed sandwich, I don’t think anyone will mind.

I haven’t flown in forever but the new concourses seem more spacious than what’s currently south of the airfield. The baggage claim area is brighter and airier than the current one, which is like a dungeon.

and yes, the toilets flush. I checked. Also, the wifi works.

EDIT: oh yeah, I timed how long it took to get there from the interstate — 2:45 from when I veered off I-10 and on to the Loyola Dr. ramp until I cleared the light at Loyola & Vets, and just under 10 minutes until I parked on the 4th level of the short-term parking garage.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom