New Deal Would Allow for Extra Offensive Lineman on Gameday (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

For all the big issues (like money) being hashed out in the new collective bargaining agreement proposal, there are a number of smaller issues that will change the way teams utilize their players.

One of those such details is the addition of an extra offensive lineman for game-day active rosters.

Like the old third quarterback rule — in which he could only play if the first two were hurt during a game — the extra blocker would serve as insurance against injuries during games

I suppose this is a step in the right direction. With Peat likely not being re-signed, we'd be losing our backup LT so being able to have an extra lineman active would come in handy.

One grain of good in the initial offer, indeed. But judging from Watt's tweet, looks like the "17th check" will be a bigger sticking point. I for one would just like to see the roster expanded to 57. Four extra guys, one each on offense, defense and special teams -- and then one wild-card type player.

I suppose this is a step in the right direction. With Peat likely not being re-signed, we'd be losing our backup LT so being able to have an extra lineman active would come in handy.

CoachPete has said numerous times that the league needs to expand roster size by 4-5 players including game day. He says the beating these hulk roid athletes take is brutal and at times devastating to their bodies. He says the coaches need more players to rotate to keep starters from getting slaughtered, injured or flat-out totally beat-up like Kamara last year.

It’s interesting how most articles discuss the league proposal like it’s already a done deal. There’s going to be a lot of back and forth between now and next year, and the final product may or may not look like anything being discussed this week. Many of the players feel like the league got the better of the deal last time, and they might be up for a fight. At a minimum they aren’t going to give the league their big ticket items without large concessions.

I think the NFL should carve out an exemption for the lines (O and D). 10 players suit up for each side, basically a backup for each position.

One grain of good in the initial offer, indeed. But judging from Watt's tweet, looks like the "17th check" will be a bigger sticking point. I for one would just like to see the roster expanded to 57. Four extra guys, one each on offense, defense and special teams -- and then one wild-card type player.
57 would be ideal, but it looks like they're at least bumping it up to 55 based on this article.

It’s interesting how most articles discuss the league proposal like it’s already a done deal. There’s going to be a lot of back and forth between now and next year, and the final product may or may not look like anything being discussed this week. Many of the players feel like the league got the better of the deal last time, and they might be up for a fight. At a minimum they aren’t going to give the league their big ticket items without large concessions.
It is strange how they frame it. No negotiations have taken place as far as I know. This is far from a done deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom