New Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

LubDemSaints

I Bleed Black and Gold
Reaction score
Now that Joe GIbbs is no longer with the Redskins. Do you think we have shot at picking up Greg Williams the DC for them. I think he would be a great asset to our team. I think our Gibbs did an OK job thus far, but to much inconsistancy and BIG plays given up. Our run defense has been Ok however.

Any Thoughts?

That's wishful thinking. Gibbs is not going anywhere. Coach Payton brought him here from Dallas and baring some complete meltdown after this upcoming season, he will most likely leave with him. The only shot we will have at getting another DC is if Gibbs takes some type of promotion elsewhere. Everyone should just give up on trying to fire Gibbs. It's only his second year along with Payton. Maybe after next year but not this offseason.

Greg Williams is looking for a HC job, preferably the one with the Redskins.

Greg Williams is looking for a HC job, preferably the one with the Redskins.

Yeah, word is that he loves Washington, has kids in school and a family happy with where they're at. Even if the Redskins hire someone else I don't think they'd let Williams go (why would they?) and he wouldn't want to leave, especially just to be a DC somewhere else.

he's been the assistant head coach since Gibbs came back, he is one of the highest paid coordinaters in the league because of that, he's going nowhere.

Peter King said last night on Inside The NFL that Fossel will most likely be hired because they have interviewed Williams 4 times and are not even close to an agreement. With that being said , King believes Williams will be looking for a job soon because Fossel will hire Rex Ryan as DC. If we do pick up Williams, we could just fire our secondary coach and linebackers coach to save money because he can do it all.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but speculation about things that just will not happen is not very realistic. We have a DC, no matter if we like him or not. The fact is that the Saints lack the players to execute the scheme in place. It's a good scheme, but it needs the athleticism of players who are not on the Saints team at this time to play it effectively.

Let's see what better players can do before we decide the scheme is the problem. In the meantime, posts such as this are for those in Dreamland, because it won't be happening this year, and probably not next either.

Has anyone else noticed the theme that the Saints would be a much better team if only they hired a new DC? This was prevalent throughout the Venturi years and has now marched forward to Payton's tenure. From my perspective, the failure of the Defense is a lack of Playmakers and a solid LB corp. I guess there will always be two schools of thought on this one....one that believes we have the talent and simply need to upgrade Coach and those who believe we have enough Coaching but need to upgrade the talent. Of course there are some who would lobby from both--new Coach and new talent.

The Saints would not be hiring defensive assistants if they were going to get rid of Gibbs. If they were going to get rid of Gibbs they would be getting rid of all assistants and let the new DC hire his own.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom