New England-Eastern Canada Travel (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A part of the country I have spent little time in is New England (in February 20 years ago, two days on business in Northampton with a Saturday afternoon and night in Boston, and years later a day in Providence on business). And I have never been to eastern Canada.

I am thinking about this summer (probably early August) going up to New England and then visiting Montreal and Quebec.

Any suggestions as to what to do, what to see, how much time should be spent where, and where not to go (is it worth the time going up to Canada).

Last edited:
The coast of Maine is gorgeous in the summer. Take some time to drive through the little country roads through Maine, NH, Vermont...lots to see. I haven't been, but I've heard Quebec City is not to be missed.

I went two years ago. I would recommend hitting up Boston. Cool place, especially if you like baseball in the summer. Great city. Also, Acadia national park is pretty cool in the summer too. Lots of hiking and scenery. I also went up to the Bay of Fundy where there is the greatest tidal change in the world, about 30 ft daily. That's something to see too. If you go up around there on Canada Day (their 4th of July), which I did by accident, there are a bunch of festivals and whatnot to go to.

Boston, Cape Cod, Provincetown, Berkshires, Burlington (VT), Bar Harbor (ME) would all be highly recommended.

Yes, definitely Boston. The history there is incredible to see. Also the food is great. Quechee Gorge, VT is also a really pretty spot. My favorite was still the coast of Maine, with all those neat little towns...and also, some more really good food!

Folks, many thanks for the suggestions. Maine keeps coming up. Any particular places in Maine you would recommend.

Also, few comments about Montreal and Quebec. Is it worth the drive?

And what about Newport?

Folks, many thanks for the suggestions. Maine keeps coming up. Any particular places in Maine you would recommend.

I enjoyed the scenery, especially around Bar Harbor and the food was great. In Maine, don't expect anything akin to southern hospitality - curt and abrasive demeanors abound.

Also, few comments about Montreal and Quebec. Is it worth the drive?

Definitely, both are worth the drive. If possible, try to have a Friday or Saturday night in Montreal in addition to some daytime exploring. Parts of Quebec City are so different than anything I've seen in North America, so treat yourself.

Quebec City is going to be crazy this summer because it's the 200 anniversary of the foundation of the city. There are going to be lots of events, free concerts, etc.

RJ, I can give you tons of tips on where to stay, where to eat, etc, in Montreal. Actually if I am here, and if you want to, I can be your personal tourist guide.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom