New HBO show - "The Night Of" (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
8 part miniseries based on a British show that I have not seen.

Episode 1 was excellent even though I cringed every 3 minutes at decisions the lead character makes.

Reminds me a little bit of Murder One, for those that remember it. Plus it has John Turturro, so, its gotta be good.

Only 8 shows but looks like a great Sunday night filler until football season.

I watched and just thought the guy is an idiot, and no way without any sort of confession from someone else, or eye witness video is this guy getting off.

Could a presumed innocent man, (and not even sure he is that) have done anything else to implicate himself.

I didn't particularly like it, but it appears well acted, and has a kinda first true detective vibe to it so I will probably wait until all eight episodes have aired and binge watch it (or attempt too) But it also looks like one of those shows that would frustrate me on a weekly basis with and have a really crappy pay off, like the second true detective season, so i'll be willing to cut bait after 2 - 3 hours of watching, instead investing 2 or 3 weeks.

I liked it overall. It was very suspenseful. It was certainly well acted. It was kind of hokey, but from my background as a homicide prosecutor many years ago, it brought back a lot of memories and was an accurate depiction of how many things in a homicide investigation actually do go.

There was a lot of foreshadowing. You can bet that the causal conversation some of the police had about signing forms on the chain of custody will be an issue for Turturros character later. Good defense attorneys will attack any potential break in the chain of custody of evidence to get it thrown out. If the police are not very careful in signing and dating evidence envelopes it can come back and bite the prosecution hard, and I sense they are setting that up.

As of now there are only three suspects I can identify as the real murderer, assuming its not the main character which we don't think is. One would be the driver of the hearse. The second would be the other black guy they encountered on the street. A third, and least likely, is the neighbor.

I wish the girl wasn't gone, she was a great character. She was obviously trouble from the start. That being said, I am sure at that age I would have taken her where she wanted to go, taken any pill she gave she, drank shots with her, played the knife game, and done whatever else she wanted me to do if it was going to result in having hot monkey sex with her. :covri:

As of now there are only three suspects I can identify as the real murderer, assuming its not the main character which we don't think is. One would be the driver of the hearse. The second would be the other black guy they encountered on the street. A third, and least likely, is the neighbor.

Also the helmeted guy(?) on motorcycle that pulled up next to him.

I would concur that those would be the 3 most likely from watching.

BUT... I'm going with none of the above. She was clearly troubled/in trouble by something/someone well before getting in that cab.

Also the helmeted guy(?) on motorcycle that pulled up next to him.

I would concur that those would be the 3 most likely from watching.

BUT... I'm going with none of the above. She was clearly troubled/in trouble by something/someone well before getting in that cab.

Yes, the helmet guy too. She did seem to be troubled which would make a random opportunity murder less likely, so it might be the killer is not revealed yet or is the motorcycle guy.

I do think the interaction with the guy driving the hearse, caught on surveillance, will play some part later. But I don't think its him.

8 part miniseries based on a British show that I have not seen.

Episode 1 was excellent even though I cringed every 3 minutes at decisions the lead character makes.

Reminds me a little bit of Murder One, for those that remember it. Plus it has John Turturro, so, its gotta be good.

Only 8 shows but looks like a great Sunday night filler until football season.

Haven't watched it yet. But I loved Murder One - not many people remember that one

I watched and just thought the guy is an idiot, and no way without any sort of confession from someone else, or eye witness video is this guy getting off.

Could a presumed innocent man, (and not even sure he is that) have done anything else to implicate himself.

I didn't particularly like it, but it appears well acted, and has a kinda first true detective vibe to it so I will probably wait until all eight episodes have aired and binge watch it (or attempt too) But it also looks like one of those shows that would frustrate me on a weekly basis with and have a really crappy pay off, like the second true detective season, so i'll be willing to cut bait after 2 - 3 hours of watching, instead investing 2 or 3 weeks.

This. I don't know how this guy is not found guilty even if he is innocent. It would be refreshing if he were actually guilty. Doesn't happen often in dramas like this that what we see and think is really what has happened. st dude, isn't that usually how it happened. In medicine, we have a saying, "Horses not zebras". Meaning when you hear hoof beats, think horses and not zebras...unless we're in Aftrica, or a Monty Python movie.

This. I don't know how this guy is not found guilty even if he is innocent. It would be refreshing if he were actually guilty. Doesn't happen often in dramas like this that what we see and think is really what has happened. st dude, isn't that usually how it happened. In medicine, we have a saying, "Horses not zebras". Meaning when you hear hoof beats, think horses and not zebras...unless we're in Aftrica, or a Monty Python movie.

What would be the narrative point of that, though? How is "The guy we thought who did it actually did it" engaging for any amount of time? The only way that works is if you know from the get go and then track back to see how it all happened. Having the "reveal" of the most obvious suspect being the one who did it is no reveal at all.

That may be how it goes in real life, but real life is pretty boring.

What would be the narrative point of that, though? How is "The guy we thought who did it actually did it" engaging for any amount of time? The only way that works is if you know from the get go and then track back to see how it all happened. Having the "reveal" of the most obvious suspect being the one who did it is no reveal at all.

That may be how it goes in real life, but real life is pretty boring.

As painfully bad as Naz's choices were, and knowing how badly it will all look, it is still true that in real life some really weird/dumb things happen and people make insane decisions.

Like Vince Marinello leaving a "to do" list in his trailer ("buy fake mustache, get ammo..")

I cringed but also kinda fell into the story. Like st dude said, I would have probably stabbed myself in the eye if that girl asked me too when I was 19

Paul Sparks has come a long way since his days as Mickey Doyle on Boardwalk Empire. I like the rolls that he has been taking.

This isn't related to the show, and is rather off topic, but why can't I find British women to be as attractive as US women, or women from Latin America? Every show I have seen Peaky Blinders, Luther, Downton Abbey, etc. the women are just meh. What gives?

Peaky Blinders......the women are just meh.

U wot m8?

5OK9nyZl.jpg

Y7X6Pz6l.jpg

WmbL8Xrl.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom