New hybrid-electric car technology (1 Viewer)

CT Saints Fan

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Texas - via Metairie, Houston, Virginia, & Con
The weight and efficiency advances look like they have the potential to have some real benefit.

Of course, there is still that whole plug-in issue, and 60 miles on a 3-hour charge isn't going to be enough for many people to use this exclusively. It is still just a commuter-only car.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=481565&topart=hybrids

The all-electric Tesla car does some 200-250 miles on a 3 hour charge. Which is plenty sufficient. I think the next step that needs to be taken is either
1) Some way to switch out batteries
or
2) Significantly quicker recharge times
http://www.teslamotors.com/efficiency/charging_and_batteries.php

The weight and efficiency advances look like they have the potential to have some real benefit.

Of course, there is still that whole plug-in issue, and 60 miles on a 3-hour charge isn't going to be enough for many people to use this exclusively. It is still just a commuter-only car.

Well, that's a step in the right direction. Would likely mean most households would need two cars for the foreseeable future, which is already quite common.

Most people could commute with that and keep a conventional road car. You can still get something comfortable and roomy that will do around 30mpg, which should only improve with time.

It's certainly an upgrade over the first-generation plug-in cars, which seemd to be the equivalent of running a hair dryer all night in order to recharge. What you saved in gas was mostly offset by increased home electric bills.

I have a Prius, and it's great so far. Gets 42-45 mpg in the city and i do the worst kind of driving for fuel economy--5-10 minutes of stop and start to and from work. It gets over 50 on the highway at 65-70 mph. batteries have a 10 year 180,000 mile life expectancy. I miss my V-6 15 mpg truck less and less as gas prices continue to go up

The gas engine (hence hybrid) kicks in to recharge the batteries when you approach the 60 mile limit, so the range is unlimited. Efficiency drops to around 40mpg when running solely on gas.

Charging stations next to parking spaces would help extend the full electric range thanks to short charge times.

Isn't the Tesla pretty pricey, though?

Sure, but that price will drop considerably. This is a small car manufacturer who rather then making a very expensive economy car decided to upscale it and go for the high-end market. So they made a 100,000 dollar performance sports car.

But if that were translated into say a Toyota economy car, it would be considerably cheaper (though still more expensive then your gasoline economy car). But even that gap will decrease over time (as is always the case).

The core point is, the necessary range is technologically available right now.

The gas engine (hence hybrid) kicks in to recharge the batteries when you approach the 60 mile limit, so the range is unlimited. Efficiency drops to around 40mpg when running solely on gas.

Charging stations next to parking spaces would help extend the full electric range thanks to short charge times.

Alaska already does this. For engine-block heaters.

I can just picture it now, a guy with a fully electric car evacuating for a hurricane with a 55 gallon drum of gas and a 6500 watt generator strapped to the roof.

I can just picture it now, a guy with a fully electric car evacuating for a hurricane with a 55 gallon drum of gas and a 6500 watt generator strapped to the roof.

If he has to go more than 200 miles without stopping, he's got bigger problems than taking the generator along.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom