New Mac user, ditch firefox for safari? (1 Viewer)

Actually you hear mac bashing all the time. Usually from IT guys that have never used them.

Yeah, I can vouch for that. I was in a network training class a couple of weeks ago filled with IT guys and that's all they talked about during the breaks. I just listened because I really don't know much about them. I have 1 employee that has a mac laptop and I interfaced his laptop with one of our remote servers. That's about the extent of my mac experience. It looks pretty cool, just haven't had the time to play around with it.

Thought you guys might enjoy this if you haven't seen it:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id_kGL3M5Cg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id_kGL3M5Cg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Simmer down pal, it was just a joke. Some one always has to be an ****** on every thread. Looks like we found this threads ******.........

For the record, I've never owned a mac nor really ever used one. I am a network admistrator for a medium sized business which are all Windows clients and servers. My point is that I can't speak for mac but I thought the video was a little funny because you always hear pc bashing but not mac bashing.

Let's see, your first post was bashing Mac (not obviously a joke), not relevant to the thread, then you call me names, and I'm the ******. :idunno:

cool a zealot fight...

<- getting popcorn

I actually switched to firefox. I'm just too used too it. I love the no script add on too much.

Anybody using Camino? I understand it's still in the beta stage, but I considered trying it out.

I prefer Firefox too but I have to admit that Safari is more stable.

Safari's big drawback is the lack of 3rd party support that Firefox and IE enjoy.

As for Camino, its promising but they've got a ways to go. IMO Firefox 3 will go a long ways to improving stability and put it further ahead in the game.

Oh, and Mac are better than Windows based systems. And I used to work for Microsoft.

Guys, check out today's update to 3.1. Seriously, I'm noticing a big difference in performance. I'm still on PPC, so maybe that's it, but it's rockin'.

Everyone is reporting the speed boost with the newest version of Safari. I'm on a Macbook Pro and it is screamin' compared to before. And it wasn't slow before. It is so much more fun going through this site now.

I'm trying out Safari fir the first time tonight. Normally I use Firefox, but have heard some pretty good reviews of Safari.
It seems to run and load faster on my laptop. I got the latest version last night when I was getting iPod updates. I'll report my findings later.

Have you guys heard about the CanSacWest Hacking competition that took place at the end of March.

The gist of it was that people were to try and hack MS Vista, Ubuntu, and OSX. These were clean OS installs with no extras like Firefox.

OSX on a MacBook Air went down in less than two hours. A guy had the hack already put together on his website. I just opened safari and went to that website an BOOM the whole system was compromised. Vista was hacked later but Ubuntu was never scratched.

Ubuntu may not have been hacked in part because very few people tried to hack it.

Anyways, I'm running Firefox 3 beta 5 on my Mac and I have to admit that it has gotten a helluva lot more stable than beta 4 was. It is faster too.

Have you guys heard about the CanSacWest Hacking competition that took place at the end of March.

The gist of it was that people were to try and hack MS Vista, Ubuntu, and OSX. These were clean OS installs with no extras like Firefox.

OSX on a MacBook Air went down in less than two hours. A guy had the hack already put together on his website. I just opened safari and went to that website an BOOM the whole system was compromised. Vista was hacked later but Ubuntu was never scratched.

Ubuntu may not have been hacked in part because very few people tried to hack it.

Anyways, I'm running Firefox 3 beta 5 on my Mac and I have to admit that it has gotten a helluva lot more stable than beta 4 was. It is faster too.

that was actually the second day of the competition. The first day the mac was not hacked. The second day the hackers were given physical access to the machines. The hacked in two hours thing is a bit misleading. Also they didn't attempt to hack all three. The guy hacked the mac to get a free mac.

I would like to see a server version of this contest, too.

My favorite part is where the attackers did it because they wanted the Mac.
mmmm, K

So far that we can tell, as if Apple will ever disclose security info, it was a Safari/Adobe Flash vulnerability. Both companies WILL point fingers at the other.

I guess the $10,000 prize was not a motivating factor in any way?
Maybe the attackers all had enough money and didn't need any more? :smilielol:
I prefer the term, "low hanging fruit".

Doesn't matter if it was a 3rd party application, direct connection via cross-over cable (controlling default route), or whatever.
The attacker "gained complete control of the system".

3rd Party application will ALWAYS be a problem regardless of the OS, question is, what can the OS do to make sure that true "privilege separation" is accomplished?

Thanx for the info.
I wasn't that impressed (from Linux or OS X versions), but that was a few months ago (Christmas?). Will try it again.

FWIW, I know one Operating System that wasn't included! :worthy:

I would like to see a server version of this contest, too.

My favorite part is where the attackers did it because they wanted the Mac.
mmmm, K

So far that we can tell, as if Apple will ever disclose security info, it was a Safari/Adobe Flash vulnerability. Both companies WILL point fingers at the other.

I guess the $10,000 prize was not a motivating factor in any way?
Maybe the attackers all had enough money and didn't need any more? :smilielol:
I prefer the term, "low hanging fruit".

Actually the bit about wanting the mac was from a story on it where the guy that hacked it was quoted as saying he wanted the macbook pro. Obviously, everyone wants the money, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom