New mattress question (1 Viewer)

Tony1Saintfan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
We are looking for a new mattress to replace a sleep number bed. I’ve seen several different ones advertised but they aren’t sold in stores. I’m a hands on guy when it comes to buying things like a mattress. Have any of you kind people bought a purple, Casper, or any other type of these mattresses and if so can you give me your thoughts on how much you are pleased with it.

The wife and I went and laid on a number of different mattresses in a variety of price ranges and decided on a Stearns and Foster. It just felt the best out of all that we tested out.

Nectar was a great investment. We purchased and absolutely love it. If you don't like after a certain period of time, you can send back. Most manufacturers that sell exclusively online offer a trial period.
If you were to send it back how much of a pain would it be?

I haven't bought a bed online, but I found this.

This is Purple's Policy. Looks like they may charge you for shipping, or just don't refund the original shipping. Also, looks like Purple is in some stores.

Casper says this...

Try it for free
We want you to love your Casper mattress and know it can take the body at least 30 days to adjust to a new mattress. So, we give you 100 nights to try it out for free.

If you’re not 100% in love, we’ll pick it up, do all the packing, and give you a full refund. We do our best to donate returned mattresses and give them a new home.

I haven't bought a bed online, but I found this.

This is Purple's Policy. Looks like they may charge you for shipping, or just don't refund the original shipping. Also, looks like Purple is in some stores.

Casper says this...
Thanks for posting these links. I’ve been in and out of the hospital over the last few weeks so this will really help me.

I love my Casper mattress, I did a lot of research before I bought it. It's really helped my back issue a lot.
How long did it take you to adjust to it? I’m only asking this because they say it may take a while for your body to get use to it.

How long did it take you to adjust to it? I’m only asking this because they say it may take a while for your body to get use to it.

Probably two weeks or so if I remember. For full disclosure, my wife likes a bed as stiff as plywood and just recently told me she does not like the switch... we switched 2 years ago. We had a Simmons Beautyrest before, and it was actually a damn good mattress, but started to wear out. Overall it was too stiff for me and was hurting my back some nights, though. The Casper is perfect, I rarely wake up with back pain just from sleeping (I have chronic disc issues). I got it because it was rated as the firmest of all the mail-off brands.

I bought an original GhostBed several years ago. While it does sleep cooler than a regular spring mattress, it took me some time to get use to the firmness of the bed as a whole. They rated it as a 6, I would rate it closer to a 7.5-8. I was assuming it would be soft like the memory foam mattress toppers, but it wasn't.. I thought about sending it back in the first couple of weeks, but honestly I have no clue how one would go about repacking a mattress like that in the box it came in. In the last few years, I've pondered the idea of getting a Purple bed and moving the GhostBed to the extra bedroom. I think Purple is rated to sleep cooler and is a little less firm overall, but like the OP said, its kind of hard to get a feel for it just from videos. I wish I knew someone with one so I could actually lay down on it. However, with all of that said, I've been happy with the purchase, its just not quite what I thought I was getting.

My wife works at a furniture store. It really does help to be able to go in and lay on the samples that they have in the showroom so that you have a good idea of what you're getting. However, with all of their merchandise, there are super long delays in how long an order takes to be delivered from the manufacturer. Sometimes until Spring. COVID has caused this. Just manage your expectations.

IMO, try to find one you like that Costco sells. They will take it back and come pick it up no questions asked anytime. They sell quite a few of the brands mentioned in this thread. Casper, GhostBed, Stearns and Foster, and quite a few others. They have last year's models of Tempurpedic at big discounts as well. Obviously, they don't have every model of every brand but if you can find one you like at Costco, you will basically be warrantied forever for anything. Good Luck. Mattress shopping is worse than car shopping!

Pro Tip. Buy the mattress online from Costco and they will come to pick it up. If you buy it in-store at Costco, you have to bring it back yourself.

We bought a Winkbed and we did not like the firmness of the first one and had it replaced. We like the replacement one a lot.
The process was not a hassle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom