New Orlans Zephyrs moving? (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Zephyrs owner has talked with Houston Astros about selling the franchise and relocation | NOLA.com

New Orleans Zephyrs owner Don Beaver has had some discussions about the sale and relocation of the Triple-AAA franchise to Houston Astros owner Jim Crane, Zephyrs general manager Mike Schline confirmed to Nola.com on Monday morning.
But reports that the deal is done or close seem premature at this point. Schline, however, left the door open that the franchise that has been in New Orleans since 1993 could soon be gone.
“I spoke with Mr. Beaver this morning and he informed me that that group has shown some interest but they have had just very very preliminary discussions regarding any such thing,” Schline said. “It’s in an extremely preliminary stage and it’s nothing that would affect 2013 or for that matter the 2014 season. That’s all I know about it.

I enjoy going to couple of games a year. Could we soon be losing them?

I will be extremely angry and upset if this comes to pass.
I just drove 8 hours from DFW this past weekend to go to the Marlins-Zephyrs exhibition game. Nola.com reported that attendance was 9,032 which is respectable for a ballpark that holds 10,000. It was a late-arriving crowd but it filled in nicely after the first couple of innings.
Shoot, the Marlins themselves are practically giving away Opening Day tickets on Groupon!
I had heard some rumblings about the 'Stros owner wanting to buy and move the OKC team to the Houston suburbs but that won't happen because Mandalay Sports Group owns the Redhawks and they won't sell or move them.
The Astros will have a hard enough time filling their ballpark this season; I don't think that metro Houston could support having MLB and AAA in their market. They already have unafilliated ball in Sugarland although I have no idea what that team's attendance is like.
NOLA needs a baseball team and should have AAA, not some AA or A team.

I posted this earlier but deleted it. I hoped it was an April Fools joke.

Taking any news today with a grain of salt.

Astro's owner is terrible. There are over 20 players in MLB right now who make more this year than the ENTIRE astro's roster. I thnk their entire payroll is like $20 million for the year.

the ownership, the decision to move to the AL, trading hunter pence, and now this speculation, have pretty much killed any desire for me to want to watch another astros game. i don't have the same allegiance to them as i do the saints, so i'm ready to begin my voyage in following another team.

Benson should go for the trifecta and buy the Zephyrs. Make it happen Tom!!

hopefully if and when this happens, New Orleans will be able to get another team to come down and play in Metairie. Can this actually been done? Is it possible to lose a team and then get a new team to come in? Has this ever been done before? if so who moved and who came in?

hopefully if and when this happens, New Orleans will be able to get another team to come down and play in Metairie. Can this actually been done? Is it possible to lose a team and then get a new team to come in? Has this ever been done before? if so who moved and who came in?

I don't want to see it happen, but minor league teams do move all the time. Just look at this timeline of the teams in the PCL:

Pacific Coast League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I posted on a facebook article from a local sports affiliate here in Houston that if Crane buys the Zephyrs, they need to stay in NOLA. Having your farm team elsewhere is a good way to increase the fan base for your major league team in areas away from your home city...moving the team to the Houston metro area would be stupid, IMO. We've already got the Skeeters in Sugarland; we don't need another minor league team here. Leave them alone and leave them in NOLA.

The Zephyers have been affliated with several MLB teams over the years. Before the Marlins, the Mets AAA team spent several years here and another team before them.

We had the Rangers AAA team and after Nolan Ryan moved them to Texas we got the Astros AAA team. I believe the contract is up after the 2014 season so we will see what happens.

Hopefully someone local step up to the plate and keeps it here in Metairie. Make it happen Benson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom