New Orleans Breakers vs Tampa Bay Bandits (1 Viewer)

On a side note, I do like the April to July schedule better than the AAF and XFL’s February to April schedule. Gives about a few weeks off then the USFL then training camp for the Saints.
If XFL start after Superbowl, USFL keep thier schedule, then of course there is the CFL. Football can be had year round.

The two games i saw this weekend were enjoyable.

Birmingham vs Houston was a good game along with the Breakers

What the USFL has to do going forward (eventually):

!. Secure stadiums for the 8 teams to play in in their local areas.
2. Expand the rosters to at least 40 players... and more eventually.
3. Update the pay scale for players and coaches.
4. Spin off the ownership from FOX to individual owners.
5. Eventually expand the number of teams.

I believe all of this will be necessary for the upstart league to survive.

If XFL start after Superbowl, USFL keep thier schedule, then of course there is the CFL. Football can be had year round.

The two games i saw this weekend were enjoyable.

Birmingham vs Houston was a good game along with the Breakers
The XFL needs to strike a deal to broadcast their games. FOX is out because they have the USFL.
Until that happens, the XFL is not competition.

In refrence to issue #2 as things stand now, I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a 9th "team" which consisted of players who were working out and practicing every day, with the hope of being called up to one of the USFL teams when they need a replacement player. The XFL did this in 2020. I think they called them "Team 9". Team's didn't have to pull from that team, but they had players who were being coached by professional coaches, working out, etc., which was convenient, and you could get an opinion on a player from a coach who had no reason to be anything but honest. Wtih the bubble concept this season, it (a team 9 situation) would make even more sense as a player who was called up could be at practice with his new team in 5 minutes if needed.

As for the rest of the list and moving forward, 1 is a given. I'd be surprised if next year's stadiums weren't already lined up. 2 will have to happen. 3 will depend on finances. Financial efficiency was part of the bubble location decision. I doubt you'll see 4 happen. I think the future of these developmental leagues will be dependent on having a common goal with equitable efforts and consistency in direction/approach. I'd be shocked to see 5 happen next year. They will be competing with the XFL for players and putting 7 teams in new stadiums next season. I think they'll want to make sure those are all solid and putting forth a good football product, before expanding.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any reference to the Breakers on the nola.com website.

Are the Breakers being ignored by local media?

Before the season, I read that the plan for 2023 was to continue to have up to four teams play in Birmingham and have the others travel. The full move to home cities wouldn't happen until 2024.

I think the ownership model will remain like that of MLS, where one entity controls the entire league. There will (and probably already are) outside investors, but I don't think they want a repeat of the 1980s USFL.

Before the season, I read that the plan for 2023 was to continue to have up to four teams play in Birmingham and have the others travel. The full move to home cities wouldn't happen until 2024.

I think the ownership model will remain like that of MLS, where one entity controls the entire league. There will (and probably already are) outside investors, but I don't think they want a repeat of the 1980s USFL.
The 80s USFL was successful but (and I’m saying this is in no relation to politics because it was well documented before the mid 2010s, but the Generals owner Donald Trump forced the other owners to try a fall schedule.
Had they stayed in the spring, we would be near the 40th season of the USFL.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any reference to the Breakers on the nola.com website.

Are the Breakers being ignored by local media?
It sure seems that way. Haven't seen any local news coverage either. Maybe I missed it or maybe, it's just that local sports coverage is being dominated by The Draft and The Pels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom