New Orleans Cancelled Sed. Ellis Meeting (1 Viewer)

please guys it's COLLEGE not COLLAGE. Dorsey and Ellis will both be beast. You don't have to be 8 ft tall to play DT in the NFL. We've gone over this plenty of times.
BTW: I'm pretty sure our FO have seen enough of him to know if we want him or not.

No, I made 3A all-state playing DE/DT in highschool. It is quite simple. Size (specifically height) is a disadvantage when you are getting bullrushed. Your center of gravity is around your tailbone. When a guy can get lower than you and deliver substantial pop or explosion, you have no leverage and go backwards as an offensive lineman. Shorter DT's can get low without sacrificing leg power.

Not to mention a shorter distance to pop you in your man-jewels. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

:voodoo: :boxing_smiley: :box: :0093: :Thud:

Shorter DT's can get low without sacrificing leg power.

Meh, it's an overrated factor. Most of the truly great DTs are 6'4" and above.

Meh, it's an overrated factor. Most of the truly great DTs are 6'4" and above.

The point really is that size, big or small, is overrated. All measurables are overrated. It is how you use them, how they translate to the field. Shorter guys (if you call 6' short) are taught to get under bigger guys. When you lift up on someone's shoulder pads where they end under the chest and push back, they lose all leverage. You basically can push them wherever you want. Being smaller can also mean quicker, and Sed Ellis is quicker than Dorsey. This doesn't make him better or worse. It all depends on which team picks them and how they use him; ie, if a team like Chicago, Tampa, or Indy took Ellis, he could be very successful becuase they rely on speed up front more than mass. He would not do well in a 34, much the same way Dewayne Robertson doesn't do well in a 34. He also may need to be paired with a stout guy to be great, but only if the stout guy can keep his weight low enough to demand some of the double teams. Either way, Ellis would work for us. Dorsey would be better in our system, but not drastically.

As a big OL, you need to rely on your reach and athleticism and get your hands on the smaller DT before he can get under you. This is where someone like Jamal Brown excels. No matter what body type, its all about technique, moves, countermoves, and film study of your opponent.

You say leverage and smaller size is overrated. I say it's all relevant to how you use what you have, what you are asked to do, and who you are doing it against.

Ha. This tells me we *really* want him.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Come on Loomis, you are not fooling anybody here. Or maybe... we are looking too much into this and they really have seen enough of him.

Just throwing it out there...

If I remember correctly Ellis gained weight for the combine and did not preform as well as expected. He then dropped back to under 300 for his pro day and did significantly better.

It could be that the Saints are looking for a bigger DT and got turned off when he did not look as good with less bulk.

Just a thought.

I doubt this is the case Rugger. Coach Orgeron said he prefers smaller, quicker DTs. He does not like big DTs. This is one of the reasons why I think the Saints would like to add either Dorsey or Ellis. I think the Saints are downplaying their interest in him as to not alert other teams to how much they might value him as a potential draft choice.

I doubt this is the case Rugger. Coach Orgeron said he prefers smaller, quicker DTs. He does not like big DTs. This is one of the reasons why I think the Saints would like to add either Dorsey or Ellis. I think the Saints are downplaying their interest in him as to not alert other teams to how much they might value him as a potential draft choice.

I am more of the opinion that most teams know we want one of the two DT's, and that simply put, we know what we need to know about Ellis and are using our alloted visits for the later day draft choices. We have already done due dillegence on Ellis. Interviews with other teams are on tape and are circulated freely, as is those on radio. We have a coach who has intimate knowledge of the player, have watched him work out twice and dined him once. What more do we need? I think there is no smoke and mirrors or poker playing at work here; I think the answer to why is straightforward and honest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom