New Orleans Defense is bad?..... (1 Viewer)

Dhatboi

Veteran
Reaction score
Im pretty Sure this has been in so many threads across this site, if it was a thread already i apologize...BUt the lack of credit from this defense is mind blowing. Despite how good drew and the rest of the offense is this year. I really believe they were this good last year. The difference is the defense able to stop the run. I will admit i was Scared to death when philly went to the wildcat. New orleans buckled down and made plays gave the offense back the ball in great field position most of the game. yea our passing stats defensivly may not look good at all but...TO THE REST OF THE NFL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT A TEAM TO DO WHEN YOUR DOWN BY 20 PLUS POINTS??? Look what made baltimore and pittsburgh's defense look so great is there offense keeping them off the field. SO what do we do??... tell payton to slow down the touchdowns to keep the other team in the game so they wont drop back in shotgun to gain yards on our defense?? Yea ok...TO other fans who are looking at this board who are on the fence or even thinking new orleans has a bad D...Just wait till your down about twenty points to say...yea but we got 400 yards passing on the saints.....But we lost by 20 plus points too....

Lol not mad at all but Offense gets so much credit how to chalk one up for the D..

I agree that the only thing we really know about the Saints defense is that it hasn't been tested yet. It hasn't had to make a stop. So you can't really say what they are.

But you definitely can't say they're bad (like some are saying). The games haven't been close, and that's all it takes. You can tell how hard Drew, Sean and the offense try to get out of the gates strong to dictate things for the other team's offense. I remember that GW was saying that with this offense, we could have a "compatible" defense. We could take risks at making big plays b/c the offense is so prolific. But when we make those big plays, it could turn a game.

It's a total concept - and I like it!

Kolb Had nothing to do with Westbrook..As did Stafford had nothing to do with Smith. it is what it is...As did Mcnabb had nothing to do with them Dismantling the Panthers to this was the reason we were going to be killed. but now that we whipped them here come the excuses. We might as well not play the bills because people are going to say we only won because Jim Kelly retired....

I agree that the only thing we really know about the Saints defense is that it hasn't been tested yet. It hasn't had to make a stop. So you can't really say what they are.

But you definitely can't say they're bad (like some are saying). The games haven't been close, and that's all it takes. You can tell how hard Drew, Sean and the offense try to get out of the gates strong to dictate things for the other team's offense. I remember that GW was saying that with this offense, we could have a "compatible" defense. We could take risks at making big plays b/c the offense is so prolific. But when we make those big plays, it could turn a game.

It's a total concept - and I like it!
They did have to make a stop. When Philly cut the halftime lead to 4, you could say they had momentum - an earlier drive had been successful as well, and they were starting to figure out our "soft" coverages. Even after the Jenkins/Reis special teams play, I think that Philly has a whole new ballgame if they go downfield and score on us (it'd have been a 4-point game). When Shanle made that INT, the reins were loosened on both sides of the ball, and we rolled... that INT was definitely a catalyst. We needed that.

I love it as well. The Defense is doing great!!!!
The only problem the defense has is that darned offense that scores to much and too fast. Its a real problem. Gives the opposing team the ball back and they have to pass to keep up. Yea that's a problem the defense just hates. Just watching the Phi game again.Saints scored too fast at the end of the half.Gave them the ball back with 43 sec.
Love what the defense is doing. Keep it up guys

They did have to make a stop. When Philly cut the halftime lead to 4, you could say they had momentum - an earlier drive had been successful as well, and they were starting to figure out our "soft" coverages. Even after the Jenkins/Reis special teams play, I think that Philly has a whole new ballgame if they go downfield and score on us (it'd have been a 4-point game). When Shanle made that INT, the reins were loosened on both sides of the ball, and we rolled... that INT was definitely a catalyst. We needed that.

I hear ya, but that was still just a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. I'm talking about when the game is actually on the line - when we stand to lose if the defense doesn't show up.

I think they'll be much improved and people will see it, but at the same time, with this offense, I'd be just as happy if we're always up 14 or more and we never get to find out about the D.

A guy making his first start ever in the league behind a questionable offensive line had 185 yards in the first half. Prevent defense does not explain that one away.

This defense still has major question marks and a bit of the celebration around here is premature IMO. We've played two QBs who were almost definitely in the bottom 5 of QBs who started in the NFL over the past two weeks, and we've given up quite a bit of yards and way too many big plays. We have no pass rush.

I'm optimistic and I think we have a good team on our hands, but the kool-aid is a little too strong in here in my opinion.

This defense still has not been tested and we still don't really have any answers. We won't know until we play an offense that's at least average or better, and that sure isn't happening in the next two weeks either. Which is good, because it gives them time to gel and gain confidence.

Little nervous for when we play teams with real offenses. There's no way we can claim that this is a "good" defense. Is it better? It appears that way, if for no other reason than the increase in turnovers forced. But I'm not sure that trumpeting the Saints defense as being "good" is wise right now. We still don't know.

Everyone knows how great the Saints Offense is but its how good your defense is, that will prove whether the Saints are Superbowl contenders or not (even the 1999 Rams had a quality defense). With the Bills coming up it won't necessarily be the end-all be-all of how good your defense is, but with the Wr corp they have and a steady developing QB, the Saints D could make a big statement by shutting them down.

Agreed, the defense is much more improved than many are giving them credit for. We have the lowest opposing passer rating allowed of any team in the league (53.4), the fifth best rush yardage defense (59 yards per game), and are tied for first in interceptions with Green Bay and Philly. We are 22nd in points allowed per game with 24.5, but the Ravens allowed an average of 25 points over the first two weeks. Anyone want to say that the Raven's defense is bad? Didn't think so.

IMO Kolb and Jackson were testing the saints D quite well in the first half when the score was tied 10-10, and then eagles were allowed to drive the field for a field goal to close the half. I particularly thought Kolb has all day in the pocket and was being allowed to way to much time.

The Saints are still giving up a ton of yards through the air almost 600 yds already. (7) 20+ yd receptions. We are 28th against the pass and 5th against the rush. The lack of a pass rush is not helping our coverage out much either, only 3 sacks so far. The good news is the defense has only given up 2 TD's through the air and we have 6 interceptions. So I can say we are better than last year just not as good as we should be, still some pieces missing. Hopefully thru trade or draft we get those pieces.

how many forced turnovers? that's the key! get the offense on the field and we can SHOCK and AWE!

Whats happening is they make the stops when they have to. How many 3rd down conversions have there been? How many times in the red zone have teams scored on them? This defense is creating turnovers, and by that will eventually make QBs take that extra split second to be sure. Give it time. Right now they are getting turnovers. Eventually they will become sacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom