New Orleans Hotels (1 Viewer)

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
Hey, all, I know I've sort of been absent from the boards for a while. I've started preparing for my preliminary exams, and I've got to read an average of a book per day while I get ready. So I have little time to do more than visit once a day for Saints news. I'm sure you've all missed me desperately.

Anyway, I'm coming to New Orleans the last weekend of March. The Brazilian Studies Association is having their once-every-year-and-a-half conference at Tulane, and I'm presenting a paper. I'll be restricted to downtown, the French Quarter, and the Tulane area, and I'm fairly familiar with restaurants and bars in that area. I did have questions about hotels, though. I know most of you who live in New Orleans won't know that much about hotels, but I was wondering if any other past visitors had recommendations. Remember that I'm a poor graduate student. Looking for something downtown or in the Quarter, less than $100 per night. Any suggestions?

Also, is the St. Charles trolley running all the way to Tulane again? I know it was being repaired and renovated after Katrina shut it down, but I am not sure if I can use it to get to Tulane each morning for the conference.

The street car does in fact run down to Tulane again. It stops when it gets to Carrollton, but you should be able to get to the university area without trouble.

Wait until 4 or 5 days before your arrrival date and go to Priceline (Name your own price).
Do a 4-star in the Downtown area for $45 or $50 and you will likely get the Hilton Riverside or Sheraton. Check Hotwire 1st and then got $20-25 below what they are offering for your price with Priceline. Boutique hotel will also be good or $5 cheaper. It would be the Wyndham on Poydras of that white hotel close to the Dome (forget the name).

I always rent a car in NOLA, so I stay outside the CBD/Quarter area just for parking alone. I like Avenue Gardens on St Chuck/MLK. I would guess that Tulane is about 15 minutes on the streetcar, but about 5 minutes by car.

Royal St. Charles. It's on St. Charles, one block off of Canal. It's a very nice and up-to-date Hotel, with a modern bar and extremely good prices. I live in Houma now but we've been getting a room there every couple of months just to go hang out with old friends. Usually we pay between $55-$90 a night, but book through an online place like hotels.com or bookit, they are cheaper that way and also sometimes offer incentives. Once we got free valet by booking via the Internet, but I usually drop the wife off with the luggage and park at Harrahs for the weekend & just validate my ticket (just go up to any pit boss and ask to validate, might take a couple tries but I've never had a problem getting it done with zero gambling.) Alittle effort but hey, that's about 4 or 5 hand granades! Anyways here's a link.

hotels.bookit.com/louisiana/neworleans/royalstcharleshotel

Hey, all, I know I've sort of been absent from the boards for a while. I've started preparing for my preliminary exams, and I've got to read an average of a book per day while I get ready. So I have little time to do more than visit once a day for Saints news. I'm sure you've all missed me desperately.

Anyway, I'm coming to New Orleans the last weekend of March. The Brazilian Studies Association is having their once-every-year-and-a-half conference at Tulane, and I'm presenting a paper. I'll be restricted to downtown, the French Quarter, and the Tulane area, and I'm fairly familiar with restaurants and bars in that area. I did have questions about hotels, though. I know most of you who live in New Orleans won't know that much about hotels, but I was wondering if any other past visitors had recommendations. Remember that I'm a poor graduate student. Looking for something downtown or in the Quarter, less than $100 per night. Any suggestions?

Also, is the St. Charles trolley running all the way to Tulane again? I know it was being repaired and renovated after Katrina shut it down, but I am not sure if I can use it to get to Tulane each morning for the conference.

Try the Ambassador Hotel on Tchoupitoulas. Moderately priced, clean and new. They might have mid-week rates around $100, or less. It's across Poydras from Mother's and the W.

http://www.ambassadorneworleans.com/

Look on Hotels.com or Expedia. Sometimes you see good rates like that for 4 stars like LePavillion or Loewes. Priceline also.

Last edited:
Try the Ambassador Hotel on Tchoupitoulas. Moderately priced, clean and new. They might have mid-week rates around $100. It's across Poydras from Mother's and the W.

http://www.ambassadorneworleans.com/

Look on Hotels.com or Expedia. Sometimes you see good rates like that for 4 stars like LePavillion or Loewes. Priceline also.

The Radisson next to it has crawfish berls.:9:

i prefer to spend local when i come in to stay.

Good prices can nearly always be had at the Maison Dupuy, the Hotel St Marie (both on Toulouse), and Bienville House (Decatur across from House of Blues). i have stayed at all three of these places and while no, they are not new, they are comfortable, affordable, and your money stays local.

I personally prefer using hotwire.com. I've stayed at the Omni Royal and a few other 4 star hotels on or close to the quarter for under 100 bucks a few times. You'll just have to see what the price is at. It changes from day to day on there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom