New Orleans lawmaker wants to raise legal smoking age to 21 (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New Orleans lawmaker wants to raise legal smoking age to 21

by Ed Anderson, The Times-Picayune
Monday March 24, 2008, 7:30 AM

BATON ROUGE -- A rookie lawmaker from New Orleans has filed legislation designed to keep cigarettes and other tobacco products out of the hands of anyone younger than 21.

Rep. Walker Hines, D-New Orleans, has filed House Bill 240 that would raise the legal smoking age from 18 to 21. Hines, at 24 the youngest member of the Legislature, said he wants to "reduce smoking in social, settings" especially among teens and young adults.

He said three states have already raised the age for buying tobacco to 21.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/new_orleans_lawmaker_wants_to.html

what is it about age limits that makes people think they actually work???

Come on. Encouraging smoking is a proven way to cut down long term health costs, keep down long term medical claims and help Social Security remain solvent. Of course thats because smokers die earlier and quicker, but hey look at the positive side.

Then don't allow people to join the military, or even be required to register for the draft, until they are 21.

I don't smoke, and I hate cigarette smoke. But that's just a load of crap.

I know that the whole “If you’re old enough to die for your country then you’re old enough to have a beer (or cigarette)” argument is played out, but it’s played out for a reason. There is absolutely no rational reason anyone can give for saying that an 18 year old is mature and knowledgeable enough to take up a loaded weapon and make decisions in combat that affect the lives of not only himself, but of the people around him, yet we can’t expect that same 18 year old to be mature and knowledgeable enough to make an intelligent, rational decision in regards to alcohol and cigarettes.

This seems like a great way for a young lawmaker to get his name in the papers, and going after big tobacco is the state-level version of smoking out the terrorists.

I'm sure the other legislators are ******. The tobacco lobbyist all the way down to the convenience store owner is going to protest this, but every soccer mom and health advocate is going to do the opposite. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place.

Personally, I just don't see the need for this nanny state policy. If you're old enough to vote and serve in the military...

I know that the whole “If you’re old enough to die for your country then you’re old enough to have a beer (or cigarette)” argument is played out, but it’s played out for a reason. There is absolutely no rational reason anyone can give for saying that an 18 year old is mature and knowledgeable enough to take up a loaded weapon and make decisions in combat that affect the lives of not only himself, but of the people around him, yet we can’t expect that same 18 year old to be mature and knowledgeable enough to make an intelligent, rational decision in regards to alcohol and cigarettes.

Agreed.

And if they law believes 18 is old enough to be tried as an adult, then treat them as adults. It's just insane hypocrisy.

FWIW, I feel the same way about alcohol.

how about outlawing them all together

While I don't agree with that, if they are going to villify them so much, then why not make them illegal?

I believe most people start when they're of illegal age anyway, so not sure if this will actually do anything.

Agreed.

While I don't agree with that, if they are going to villify them so much, then why not make them illegal?

too much money involved, IMO cigs are one of the greatest governmental hypocrisies

we should just get rid of cigarretes completely. all they do is kill people and its disgusting.

so, do we start banning everything that kills people???

if so, this would be a rather boring place :shrug:

oh, and i think cigarettes are tasty :9:

I don't know how it is in the LA but here we have an 18 yr. age limit for buying tobacco and to buy alcohol in a bar or restaurant. We have a 15 yr. age limit for buying alcohol in a store though. Tobacco commercials are a thing of the past since they are illegal, and the stores have to keep tobacco under the counters.

We have one of the highest % of smokers in Europe and also one of the highest number of lung cancer per capita, but it is older people who smoke since it is not considered cool by the young - a lot of schools are running non-smoking campaigns, taking kids on excursions to cancer wards, things like that. So mostly it is a question of scaring kids of tobacco

Surprisingly we have very little alcohol problems, far less than our more restricting neighbors. Most young people learn to drink at home with their parents, getting some beers or wine at the age of 15. That way when they go out on their own as they grow older, they know how their bodies react to alcohol and drinking is no longer a big deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom