New Orleans Music (1 Viewer)

Tank Newburg

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So, if I want to download some classic New Orleans jazz music, who would I search for? I know most of the famous musicians and love them. But I'm looking for some of that New Orleans music that will give me the feel of the city. Thanks for any suggestions!

rebirth, kermit ruffins, dirty dozen brass band, the nevilles, the list can go on and on...

fwiw, I insure the New Orleans Music Hall of Fame and they are in the process of renovating abuilding on S. Rampart to become a museum. Will be really nice.

here it the website...dont know if they have music for download...

http://www.nomhf.org/

Thanks so much! Just looking up Kermit Ruffins led me to so many others. I appreciate it! That's just what I as looking for! And thank efil4stnias for the link to the Hall of Fame website.

On another note - Can you still find live music, like Kermit, playing in New Orleans? A few years ago, I was at the Fairmont and asked the desk where I could go to here some jazz and they had a hard time coming up with something.

On another note - Can you still find live music, like Kermit, playing in New Orleans? A few years ago, I was at the Fairmont and asked the desk where I could go to here some jazz and they had a hard time coming up with something.

It's everywhere. Go to Frenchmen St. or the Maple Leaf, or any of the myriad other small clubs in the city. Also, Kermit himself plays every week at Vaughn's near the Industrial Canal in the Bywater/Upper 9th. Le Bon Temps Roule on Magazine is also a great place.

edit: Forgot to mention the grandaddy of them all, Preservation Hall, and what I consider to be the best music club in the city,. Tipitina's.

Last edited:
Louis Prima, Sam Butera and Keely Smith.

Also Danny Barker, Blue Lu Barker and Palm Court, if you can find any of that

Last edited:
fwiw, I insure the New Orleans Music Hall of Fame and they are in the process of renovating abuilding on S. Rampart to become a museum. Will be really nice.
http://www.nomhf.org/

That sounds like a great project, but their website alleges that the Smithsonian declared the Eagle Saloon as the birthplace of American Jazz, which is a pretty dubious statement. I believe it was one of a small group of clubs, bordering or just within the bounds of Storyville where some of the stars of the music scene in that era played with each other casually. It may have been an important part of the birth of jazz, but any statement beyond that is a pretty crazy stretch.

Still, the museum is a great idea, and I had always thought the Eagle Saloon was inside Storyville.

Frenchmen street is overrun with music, and even the Balcony Club on Eplanade and Decatur has loads of good acts in there, including guys like Kermit Ruffins.

Preservation Hall is in a pretty precarious position, from what I understand. There's till a lot of good music there--probably a wider range of music that has a broader popular appeal. But my understanding is that postK, they've lost about 2/3's of the traditional jazz guys that rotated in there. It seems like it's still going to be a great place, but not what the same thing that it was for the previous 35 years.

Last edited:
Wow. Obviously I should've checked here instead at a hotel desk! They basically told me that kareoke and rap had taken over some of the classic jazz clubs. It's SO refreshing to hear what ya'll are saying!

If you get a chance go see Josephine Johnny. His show will have you saying "Lord have mercy".

Thanks so much! Just looking up Kermit Ruffins led me to so many others. I appreciate it! That's just what I as looking for! And thank efil4stnias for the link to the Hall of Fame website.

Like west back chris said, Kermit Riffins plays at Vaughn's usually on Thursday's. I've been before a couple times and it's a great time. It's located on Dauphine street closer to Poland ave. The other's are Maple Leaf(uptown) and all around the area of frenchmen is lots of places to see live music such as brass bands and jazz..

maple leaf on tuesdays has rebirth. it is an absolute must and the best show i have ever seen, bar none. if you arent moving when rebirth is playing, go down to the canal cemetaries and buy yourself a tomb because you aint got no pulse...

Go see The Morning 40oz Federation if ya can.

I've been finding some awesome music! Kermit is my fave for the moment. But they're all good!

My question is this, are the younger people continuing these great music traditions? Just curiuos if the young musicians are playing New Orleans styled music. I sure hope so!

Downloading? Nolataper.org They just changed they're servers and formatting, but it's still a jewel.

Young bands? All for One Brass Band, which I CANNOT find a thing on but have heard them on WWOZ before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom