New Orleans Pelicans hire Stan Van Gundy (2 Viewers)

But listening to past players talk about SVG, he might be too far in that other direction. A real grinder of a coach. Thats why Perk thought Kidd or Jackson might be better because he doesn't think players today can handle coaches like SVG.

Hopefully the time off taught him to be more flexible. I know Sean Payton went through that "grinder coach" phase and eventually changed.

I dont know about most young players, but our most important [tm] young player, Zion, seems like a little bit of a throwback.. He says and does everything (seemingly) right, and IIRC, didnt he come out of the quarantine and into the bubble in *better* shape than he was in before? Maybe he is the type of player who would respond well to Van Gundy’s style.

But listening to past players talk about SVG, he might be too far in that other direction. A real grinder of a coach. Thats why Perk thought Kidd or Jackson might be better because he doesn't think players today can handle coaches like SVG.

Hopefully the time off taught him to be more flexible. I know Sean Payton went through that "grinder coach" phase and eventually changed.
I wouldn’t trust a single thing Perk says.

Not only do I think he’s general bad at basketball analysis, I also think he leans positively towards Klutch clients.

Listen to JJ Redick’s take on SVG is enough of an endorsement for me.
On the opposite (Kendrick Perkins) side of the spectrum, Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas, 2 of the biggest locker room cancers and disliked players (among their peers) in the league have complained about Van Gundy’s required level of focus and discipline.

Seriously, when THOSE 2 are saying that you’re “great at X’s and O’s, but bad at people skills”, it makes me think even better of you as a leader and communicator.

And lol at Gilbert Arenas criticizing SVG for “not allowing Dwight to be a leader”. Dwight Howard has had 16 years to be a leader and has never done so. In fact, he’s been openly mocked by several players (JJ Reddick is one) and at least one team (Hawks or Grizzlies, I don’t remember) had an actual celebration when he got shipped out.

But sure, it was Stan Van Gundy who just would allow him to be a leader. This isn’t even getting into the fact that Dwight was trying to go behind Van Gundy’s back and sabotage him, but completely folded when Van Gundy called it out for what it was.

Obviously none of this means that Van Gundy will absolutely prove to be the coach we need; nor does it mean that 100% of fans need to be hyped about his hiring.

But when the loudest (possibly only) voices complaining about him are people like Perk, Dwight, and Arenas (and even still, they all credit him as a strategist), well...it honestly just makes me like the hire even more.

On the opposite (Kendrick Perkins) side of the spectrum, Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas, 2 of the biggest locker room cancers and disliked players (among their peers) in the league have complained about Van Gundy’s required level of focus and discipline.

Seriously, when THOSE 2 are saying that you’re “great at X’s and O’s, but bad at people skills”, it makes me think even better of you as a leader and communicator.

And lol at Gilbert Arenas criticizing SVG for “not allowing Dwight to be a leader”. Dwight Howard has had 16 years to be a leader and has never done so. In fact, he’s been openly mocked by several players (JJ Reddick is one) and at least one team (Hawks or Grizzlies, I don’t remember) had an actual celebration when he got shipped out.

But sure, it was Stan Van Gundy who just would allow him to be a leader. This isn’t even getting into the fact that Dwight was trying to go behind Van Gundy’s back and sabotage him, but completely folded when Van Gundy called it out for what it was.

Obviously none of this means that Van Gundy will absolutely prove to be the coach we need; nor does it mean that 100% of fans need to be hyped about his hiring.

But when the loudest (possibly only) voices complaining about him are people like Perk, Dwight, and Arenas (and even still, they all credit him as a strategist), well...it honestly just makes me like the hire even more.

Calm your boobs man. Perk wasn't complaining about him. He just gave two names he thought would be better fits and why. And he has a point. Players today probably don't respond as well to drill sergeant type coaching as players of the 80s and 90s. Pops is probably the only one to get away with it because of his track record.

You can disagree with that but he never disparaged SVG.

Calm your boobs man. Perk wasn't complaining about him. He just gave two names he thought would be better fits and why. And he has a point. Players today probably don't respond as well to drill sergeant type coaching as players of the 80s and 90s. Pops is probably the only one to get away with it because of his track record.

Haha, ok. That is not a response that begs to be taken seriously. It was both condescending and ridiculously juvenile/unnecessary. Don’t worry about how “calm my boobs are” though. I promise that everything is fine. I simply gave my opinion on a few players and how I feel about them as analysts.

I admit that I didn’t listen to Perkins’ comments about Van Gundy, but that’s only because I’ve listened to his comments about many other subjects and he’s almost always wrong.

Van Gundy also didn’t coach in the 80’s or 90’s, so I’m not sure what you mean there. He’s coached modern/current NBA players, most of whom have commented respectfully of him.

Whether Perk is talking about Stan Van Gundy, the Pelicans, or anything else, I still maintain (as does almost everyone) that he is a bad analyst. And he tends to be pretty biased towards the people Klutch Sports want him to be. He basically bragged about shepherding Anthony Davis towards switching to Rich Paul as his agent and forcing his way to joining Lebron.

Perk is quoted as saying ”I used to brag about Bron a lot with him. He really didn’t have to ask me [about James]. I was doing more of the talking.”

And before the 2018 season, when Davis was open to looking for a new agent, it was Perkins who introduced Davis to Klutch Sports.

He is again quoted as saying, ”I thought it was the best thing for AD. I thought he needed to be around that type of greatness.”

So yeah, my calm and “boobs” aside, I stand by my criticisms of him being a poor analyst and an, at times, biased shill. And this goes well beyond anything he has said about Stan Van Gundy.

And I’m sorry, but if his “better fits” are Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd, then no, he absolutely doesn’t have a point. Those would be two of the worst hires we could have made. Stan Van Gundy is too much of a “bad people person” and “drill sergeant”?

Kidd is an objectively bad and unlikeable person (enough stories that are easy to look up), who also has a difficult time explaining the way he is able to see the game to his players, and thus gets frustrated and petty with them.

I won’t even get into how awful Jackson was to some of his players in Golden State and how paranoid he was of any of his assistant coaches getting any praise (again, Jackson stories are easy to look up).

And I stand by everything I said about Dwight and Arenas. With all of the locker room issues and controversies those 2 caused (and number of teams, including most teammates, who couldn’t wait to get rid of them), I’m sorry if I don’t take their “bad people skills/drill sergeant/wouldn’t let us be leaders” stuff seriously. Dwight has been publicly regarded as a horrible teammate for years, and by several different teams. And Arenas was involved in a handgun standoff on a team plane ride, over a card game.

I clearly stated that the jury is out on if this will be a good hire or not, and I don’t blame anyone who isn’t super enthusiastic. But all of the names mentioned in that post are absolute bottom of the barrel character witnesses (which is the only negative thing they had to say about him).

Last edited:
I tend to the SVG is the best of the available coaches. I can't complain and he's gotten a lot done with the rosters he's had. Nothing against Kidd and Jackson, but both had terrible track records as coaches.

Howard has never been more than a role player and isn't a leader, not then, not now. He doesn't make other players better and while he was a freak athlete, he never improved much as a player. He never helped SVG much.

I have a hunch SVG is the perfect fit for the Pels and he'll get the most out of our young talent. At least I hope so.

The fact they think Kidd is a better choice is an insult and shows that those three are idiots.
1) Kidd is a horrible human being and a distraction waiting to happen
2) a team he had ownership in (Nets) thought so much of his coaching that they traded him for a couple second round picks after just two seasons
3) he thought that making Giannis a point guard was the best use of his talents

All 3 of them were head cases as players. Howard's reputation was so bad he had to meet with the Lakers players before being signed and convince them he wouldn't be the same butt crevasse he was every where else he played.

And a man (Perkins) who average 22 minutes a game at center who has a career average of 5 points and 6 rebounds per game has no business criticizing anybody. Its like a homeless guy complaining that Bill Gates is bad with money and a horrible businessman

Regular Season Record: 523 - 384 (One of 5 active coaches with 500 wins. Pop, Carisle, Rivers, and Spoelstra are the others)
Playoffs Record: 48-43
1x Final Appearance
2x Conference Finals
8 Playoff appearances (in 11 years)
Defensive Rating = Top 15 DTRG 11 times in 12 season.
Great Basketball Mind (Played 4 Shooters with a Big a decade before the league caught on)
Great X and Os - Predicted this past season that teams would start playing more Zone defenses in the playoffs and sure enough Miami started relying heavily on it in the bubble with great result)
His teams are usually good at protecting the ball(Low turnover %) and is above average in free throw shooting.
Defense, Discipline, and an offensive philosophy that tailors a scheme to fit the strengths of the players on the roster.

If you told me that the description of the guy who will be coaching the Pelicans after firing Gentry, my jaw would have dropped to the floor.

Plus in an interview he already has a plan in place that recognizes Lonzos strengths and weaknesses
Basically he won't be a point guard for us. Lonzo sucks at creating and driving for basket.
SVG said he would use him as a hybrid 3
Also while there is no guarantee that JJ will stay, the chances are far greater with SVG as coach

If Dwight Howard doesn't like him as a coach, then he's perfect. That dude had Shaq talent written all over him and he squandered it by being an idiot. Apparently even the Lakers coach had to clamp down on him during the playoffs this year because he was being an asshat.

If Dwight Howard doesn't like him as a coach, then he's perfect. That dude had Shaq talent written all over him and he squandered it by being an idiot. Apparently even the Lakers coach had to clamp down on him during the playoffs this year because he was being an asshat.
This, always expected this dude to click and become dominant

it’s always so sad to me when a head case undermines incredible talent

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom