New Orleans Pelicans hire Stan Van Gundy (1 Viewer)

I'm in. We could do a lot worse
Yeah, not splashy but he seems to be respected by a lot of his former players was a pretty successful coach in Miami and Orlando.

His time in Detroit was obviously a bad mark on his resume. Hopefully that had more to do with trying to be head coach & GM rather than just his coaching. Plus, the Pistons have only been .500 or above twice in the past 12 years (with many of those season being way below .500). So it wasn’t just SVG who failed there.

I’m willing to give it a chance.

Great pick.

He might have won a championship with Wade and Shaq in Miami in 2006 but was run out by Pat Riley, the GM at the time, because Riley decided he wanted to coach again once the team became really good.

He took Orlando to the finals and only lost that job because Dwight Howard wanted him fired (and then left the team anyway!)

He was not great in Detroit but he was basically both coach and GM there and his mistakes were on the personnel moves end. Here Griff and Langdon will make the personnel decisions and SVG only needs to coach.

Let's go.

So is this guy more of a offense or defense guy?

And how is he at developing younger players? It seems to me as a small market team, it's going to have to be all about playing money ball, drafting well, and developing players in order for this team to get good.

I like the choice. A lot. When I first his name in the mix, he became my top choice. When he isn’t trying to handle scouting and GM and personnel, and he’s primarily coaching, he’s excellent.

He will be great for the younger players and he works best when there’s a good organization behind him and I think NO provides that.

this is a hiring I am legitimately excited about.

I fancy myself as knowledgeable about NBA matters but I know very little about SVG, reading the above posts eases my mind.

I do recall him getting a bad hand dealt to him to finish out his time in both Miami and Orlando, but I wasn’t aware of his coaching ability.

I like the choice. A lot. When I first his name in the mix, he became my top choice. When he isn’t trying to handle scouting and GM and personnel, and he’s primarily coaching, he’s excellent.

He will be great for the younger players and he works best when there’s a good organization behind him and I think NO provides that.

this is a hiring I am legitimately excited about.

I was on board with Atkinson (out of the names rumored to be under consideration) and then was in the SVG camp when his name dropped.

So is this guy more of a offense or defense guy?

And how is he at developing younger players? It seems to me as a small market team, it's going to have to be all about playing money ball, drafting well, and developing players in order for this team to get good.

He was D. Wade's coach for his first 2 1/4 seasons (the Heat then won the championship during the season that Riley decided to replace SVG with himself) and made the Magic led by a young Dwight Howard and young current Pelican J.J. Redick into a really good team.

I think it will help the Pels a lot that Redick is a veteran leadership presence and apparently loves SVG as a coach.

In 2007, Van Gundy took over as coach of the Orlando Magic. Dwight Howard, 22 at the time, was on that roster. So were Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis, a pair of versatile forwards, Jameer Nelson, a smart, steady hand at point guard, and JJ Redick, who was coming off his rookie year.

Redick, who’s now 14th all-time in 3-pointers made, was still fighting for consistent minutes at that point his career. Under Van Gundy’s watch, he developed into a key rotation piece, while the Magic were able to make multiple deep playoff runs.

Redick has credited Van Gundy with helping him learn the fundamentals of team defense, and, more broadly, learning what it took to be successful at basketball’s highest level.

"Professionalism,” Redick said. “Accountability. Playing hard — the same way every game. Not taking any nights off. Because he lives that.”

"I don’t know that I’ve ever been around any coach, and I’ve played for great coaches and play for a great coach right now, but I don’t know if I’ve ever been around any coach who holds himself so accountable,” Redick said on his then-podcast, The Chronicles of Redick, in 2016.

I'm on board. From a standpt. of better leadership (vocal) and accountability he's better than Gentry however the West is getting even better esp if Bradley Beal joins the Warriors and/or Chris Paul joins the Lakers (from rumors I'm hearing) so we need to really see some growth (maturation) and soon that equal to wins for this organization.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom