New Orleans Saints 2007 Salary Database (1 Viewer)

When Troy Evans makes twice as much money as Marques Colston, there isn't much justice in the world.

Jason David's contract pretty much drops to $3M for the final 3 years.

By my count the total Cap is $89,590,924 but that includes incentives for guys who I know did not make the like FT Duece and Meach so we have even more cap room????? isn' the cap # like 120,000,000?????

BTW BEsnon had to pay about 110,000,000 for that 7-9 season. I sure would not be happy

We had the 3rd Highest Payroll in the NFL last season with just over 110 million dollars. 3rd highest and we didn't make the playoffs. :(

We had the 3rd Highest Payroll in the NFL last season with just over 110 million dollars. 3rd highest and we didn't make the playoffs. :(

Meh, payroll means little. It is simply the amount physically paid to players. A player with a $20M signing bonus will count hard in one year, but not the next since it is a one time payment. It's still the cap that matters.

Here's some notable figures from that link....

Marques Colston is our lowest paid WR. That has to be humbling for the rest of the WR core.

Jason David made a million more than Mckenzie this year. I just threw up a little.

Eric Johnson made 4 times as much as Billy Miller.

Fred Thomas was 7th highest in cap value this year at 3 million and basically played no roll. I hope he was at least mentoring Usama.

Combined, the cap value for our 5 CB's totalled 15 million. In comparison, Pittsburgs corners who had the BEST passing defense this year only cost 9 Million in cap value. That is disgusting. I didnt not look at all teams, but I'm also willing to bet that we paid more to corners than any other team.

We paid 44 million to offense, 43 million to defense, and 1.8 million to special Teams(Weatherford, Mare).

Our Starters were paid around 53 million of our 89.5 million cap value this year.

Last edited:
Fred Thomas for 3.25 ??????? There's nice work if you can get it....

That crap makes me want to puke. I hate looking at pro athelete salaries. Our culture is messed up when guys who play games for a living make that kind of money. People with real "jobs" work their butts off their entire adult lives for pennies compared to these guys. It's insane!

If I recall correctly the reason the Jason David deal was front loaded was so the Colts could not match it under the salary cap.

That crap makes me want to puke. I hate looking at pro athelete salaries. Our culture is messed up when guys who play games for a living make that kind of money. People with real "jobs" work their butts off their entire adult lives for pennies compared to these guys. It's insane!

Why? We the fans pay the market price for the tickets, goods, and services. We the fans watch the games like crazy on TV. We the fans drive this obsession. It's market price. Until fans don't pay for these items, that will be the price or higher.

These guys are the best of the best. There are extremely well compensated engineers, surgeons, businessmen, etc...all making millions and millions each year. They're the best at what they do and they get compensated. Budweiser execs get paid millions, and all they do is bring us alcoholic beverages. Does alcohol serve any supreme purpose more important than that a football game (a bad question to ask on this board :hihi:)? I hope you also attack their people for being better that Pabst Blue Ribbon and making more than their execs.

Just because you and I get paid less doesn't mean it's wrong to get paid what you're market value is.

Last edited:
Would you be more comfortable with Pro-Athletes making normal salarys while Benson and his other 31 cronies reaped in an extra 90 million per year each for the hard work he put into being one of the 32 people allowed to join their club? The athletes earn the money because the Networks pay it, if anyone is getting an outrageous sum of money for Pro-Sports it's the owners. The salary cap is set by the collective bargaining agreement based upon total gross revenue for the NFL's TV contracts. They get a % and the owners get a %. I feel no qualms what so ever abou the amount pro-athletes make.

Cap value, by it's self, can't give an accurate account of much of anything. All that cap value in the link can tell you is how the GM and front office staff managed to spread the cap hit of players over the course of this past season/current cap period.

If you look at total salary and cap value, you can get a picture of how cutting that guy can effect the cap. If TS > Cap value, then the difference between the two would be the cap hit. If TS < Cap Value, then the difference would be a cap credit.
Notice, it wouldn't be exact because of the way base salary factors in, but it can give you a peak without doing a massive Excel spreadsheet.

For example:
Reggie Bush: TS= 13,375,960 > 3,657,960. Therefore cutting (OR TRADING,) Reggie Bush would net the Saints a cap hit of nearly $10 million. That's why, and I can't stress this enough for some of you, TRADING REGGIE BUSH IS NOT AN OPTION.

Conversely:
Fred Thomas: TS = $2 mill < $3.25 mill. Therefore, cutting or trading Fred Thomas would give a small cap credit of roughly $1.25 million

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom